Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 26

New Foo Fighters song

the Foo Fighters have a greatest hits cd coming out in a few weeks and theirs a new song on it. I personally love it, but a of people say it's too soft and Tom Petty like. and i don't get how that's a bad thing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLdmTyE4_sA]YouTube - Foo Fighters - Wheels[/ame]

Dave is currently playing in a "side project" with Josh Homme and John Paul Jones called Them Crooked Vultures. i can't wait to hear the album. one hell of a cast for a side project hehe. anyway, here's a preview of what they sound like.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YalghA3dGvI]YouTube - Scumbag Blues[/ame]

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 107

Re: New Foo Fighters song

Haven't heard "Wheels" yet. Will have to check it out. Them Crooked Vultures are going to be GREAT. Can't wait for that album.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Finally someone from Zeppelin is doing something.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 108

'Wheels' definitely sounds like Tom Petty and there's nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't doubt if it was on purpose. Dave Grohl has a very wide range of musical talent (see Probot) and I've loved everything he's done. I'm sure 'Vultures' will be no different.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Dave Grohl is one of the best (and often underrated) individual artists of the past 20 years. It isn't a coincidence that pretty much every band/album he's involved with is excellent. I would honestly argue that his body of work is every bit as impressive as his erstwhile bandmate (who shall remain nameless here).

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,505
    Given: 143

I think it sounds great, and I agree Dave Grohl just constantly puts out great music.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,190
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Dave Grohl is one of the best (and often underrated) individual artists of the past 20 years. It isn't a coincidence that pretty much every band/album he's involved with is excellent. I would honestly argue that his body of work is every bit as impressive as his erstwhile bandmate (who shall remain nameless here).

i have to agree 100%. His ability to create so many different styles is amazing to me.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 733
    Given: 2,917

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Krist Novoselic?

I generally disagree with this. I love Dave Grohl, think he's a great talent. And I generally enjoy listening to the Foo Fighters - if I keep in mind that they're far more generic and pander far more to the masses than anything that Nirvana produced. They have some songs I love (acoustic version of "Everlong") - but for every one of those there is at least one crappy "Best of You" type of song. Nirvana was driven by angst and anger - there's no way to compare the passion there with Foo Fighters. (Wasn't "Learn to Fly" the theme for "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" at one point? That's a case-in-point right there.)

M 7/09

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,190
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Krist Novoselic?

I generally disagree with this. I love Dave Grohl, think he's a great talent. And I generally enjoy listening to the Foo Fighters - if I keep in mind that they're far more generic and pander far more to the masses than anything that Nirvana produced. They have some songs I love (acoustic version of "Everlong") - but for every one of those there is at least one crappy "Best of You" type of song. Nirvana was driven by angst and anger - there's no way to compare the passion there with Foo Fighters. (Wasn't "Learn to Fly" the theme for "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" at one point? That's a case-in-point right there.)
    that's crap to say that. how can you compare one man's passion to another's?

also, just because the masses love something, doesn't make it not great.

Rookie
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Krist Novoselic?

Agreed 100%. The Foo Fighters reached their peak with "The Color and THe Shape". I like them but no way do they touch Nirvana. Grohl was also great with Queens of the Stoneage.

"Bring it all to the table. Don't hold nothin' back," he said. "I want you. I want the ball. I want your head. I throw my body into 'em and hit them." - #23 Leonard Johnson

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7

This is the first time I have heard this song and I like it. About time someone made a song you can actually understand. I can't stand listening to top 40 anymore.

Go Cubs Go!

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 733
    Given: 2,917

Quote Originally Posted by isubeatle View Post
    that's crap to say that. how can you compare one man's passion to another's?

also, just because the masses love something, doesn't make it not great.
    Um, you may want to come up with a more cohesive and coherent argument than just calling someone else's post "crap," but whatever (just a rule of thumb on this site). I also didn't compare one man's passion to the other at all (especially since Dave was obviously part of Nirvana) - I compared the passion of the catalogues in general. You may want to read through a second time.

M 7/09

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 108

Krist Novoselic?

What's wrong with "Sabrina the Teenage Witch"? Seriously, I don't see how that's a case-in-point. Hell, you hear Kings of Leon everywhere now. Good music becomes popular. It happens for a reason. And it doesn't take "angst and anger" to create passion. Have you seen FF live? They (specifically Dave Grohl) have as much passion as any band I've seen.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cymon View Post
    The Foo Fighters reached their peak with "The Color and THe Shape".
    He hasn't gotten back there yet, and he'll likely spend the rest of his career trying. That's not to say that he hasn't made some great stuff from time to time since, but he could have quit music after that album and retired a genius.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Krist Novoselic?

Crappy "Best of You"? Going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Kurt Cobain was very talented, but I think Grohl is able to convey a far wider range of emotion than he could. Kurt did angst and anger as good as anyone, but he couldn't hit the range of emotions Grohl does on a regular basis, let alone the varying genres.