Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

Final drive vs KU

Tired of talking about moral victories, our schedule, etc. I want to discuss the play calling on that final drive against KU.

ARob is clearly the best player we have on offense - or at least - has consistently been the most productive. In the final drive, when we had plenty of time (2:36) and all of our timeouts, we gave him the ball just once...on the first play of the drive. What did he do with it? Ripped off a 17 yard run. That was the longest play of that drive.

After that, it was 100% passing plays. We didn't even look to throw ARob the ball. How can we do that? He's our playmaker, he is this offense - and we get him the ball just once with the game on the line? We were not rushed for time. In fact, we needed to run more time off the clock - otherwise KU was certainly going to score.

For me, it was the most frustrating part of the game. I know our defense gave up a ton of points and yards - but I expected that. I don't fault AA for that final pass as he was able to escape defenders to give himself the chance to even get rid of it, KU came after him hard.

I didn't expect us to all but ignore our best player who was having a great game for us in that final sequence.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 53

Re: Final drive vs KU

Was it that drive or the previous drive where Robinson pretty much fell down walking off the field?

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Tired of talking about moral victories, our schedule, etc. I want to discuss the play calling on that final drive against KU.

ARob is clearly the best player we have on offense - or at least - has consistently been the most productive. In the final drive, when we had plenty of time (2:36) and all of our timeouts, we gave him the ball just once...on the first play of the drive. What did he do with it? Ripped off a 17 yard run. That was the longest play of that drive.

After that, it was 100% passing plays. We didn't even look to throw ARob the ball. How can we do that? He's our playmaker, he is this offense - and we get him the ball just once with the game on the line? We were not rushed for time. In fact, we needed to run more time off the clock - otherwise KU was certainly going to score.

For me, it was the most frustrating part of the game. I know our defense gave up a ton of points and yards - but I expected that. I don't fault AA for that final pass as he was able to escape defenders to give himself the chance to even get rid of it, KU came after him hard.

I didn't expect us to all but ignore our best player who was having a great game for us in that final sequence.
    A screen pass to AROB would have been a great call as they started bringing pressure up the middle.

The worst call was the screen to Jake Williams. Jake decided that he didn't want to run around the defender but rather right into him. It was an easy 7 yard gain and he turned it into a no gain.

Oh and the slant pass was a bad call too. We hadn't run a slant all game and our passing game looked solid. Our WR's are not quick enough to beat their guy to the inside and AA isn't good at throwing a slant. We were lucky that it was not picked off

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

ARob is clearly the best player we have on offense - or at least - has consistently been the most productive. In the final drive, when we had plenty of time (2:36) and all of our timeouts, we gave him the ball just once...on the first play of the drive. What did he do with it? Ripped off a 17 yard run. That was the longest play of that drive...
    ...For me, it was the most frustrating part of the game. I know our defense gave up a ton of points and yards - but I expected that. I don't fault AA for that final pass as he was able to escape defenders to give himself the chance to even get rid of it, KU came after him hard.

This is very true. ARob is a warrior.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Was it that drive or the previous drive where Robinson pretty much fell down walking off the field?
    Previous drive. He picked up a 4th down for us and came out. A few plays later AA hit Schwartz for a TD.

I was at the game, ARob looked bad initially as he came out but was quickly on the bike and looked fine.

Proven by the 17 yard run he ripped off on the last drive.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    A screen pass to AROB would have been a great call as they started bringing pressure up the middle.

The worst call was the screen to Jake Williams. Jake decided that he didn't want to run around the defender but rather right into him. It was an easy 7 yard gain and he turned it into a no gain.

Oh and the slant pass was a bad call too. We hadn't run a slant all game and our passing game looked solid. Our WR's are not quick enough to beat their guy to the inside and AA isn't good at throwing a slant. We were lucky that it was not picked off
    I'm not going to completely pick apart the play calling. The WR screen call was ok for me (unlike previous games) because it was effective against KU.

I agree our slant passes are usually not great, but Hamilton usually is good enough (and big enough) to get those.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,194
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

My biggest beef was going to the endzone with 1:30 left. Why would you WANT to score and give KU 1:30 to operate? I agree run the ball, get inside the 10 with less than :30 and see what happens.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you're so knowledgable about play calling how come you aren't a D1 Offensive Cooridnator somewhere 22?

I am sick of this wouldva shouldva couldva crap that is dominating these boards today. Seriously folks, MOVE ON! We are 3-3 and have shown some big strides from where we were at this time last season so can't we just accept it and move on? The team moved on from the KSU game judging by the performance against KU, it's time we as fans do the same and move on after each win and loss. You can't change the result, you can only look to improve on what you did wrong.

Go Cubs Go!

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not going to completely pick apart the play calling. The WR screen call was ok for me (unlike previous games) because it was effective against KU.

I agree our slant passes are usually not great, but Hamilton usually is good enough (and big enough) to get those.
    It was effective for 5 yards. Jake Williams is a solid WR but IMO isn't a WR you throw that pass to. JMO

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the players and coaches put us in a position to win on the last drive. Make a play on the final play and we win the game.

Hard to win a game against a ranked opponent on the road botching a fg snap, missing two xp, and the balls and calls not bouncing your way.

I know a lot of people have piled on the defense. I think the players and coaches did the best with what they had which is a DL with no depth and a middle linebacker that lacks speed. We confused them early by dropping the backers deep into coverage but once KU adjusted we didn't have an answer.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 875
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

We score a touchdown on that last play and everyone thinks they are the smartest coaches in the world.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    If you're so knowledgable about play calling how come you aren't a D1 Offensive Cooridnator somewhere 22?

I am sick of this wouldva shouldva couldva crap that is dominating these boards today. Seriously folks, MOVE ON! We are 3-3 and have shown some big strides from where we were at this time last season so can't we just accept it and move on? The team moved on from the KSU game judging by the performance against KU, it's time we as fans do the same and move on after each win and loss. You can't change the result, you can only look to improve on what you did wrong.
    Travman, this is a message board. What do you expect? It's a place for fans to get together and talk about their teams. What did we do good? Bad? What should we have done?

It is fun for fans to talk about. If you don't like it, don't read it

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
    I think the players and coaches put us in a position to win on the last drive. Make a play on the final play and we win the game.

Hard to win a game against a ranked opponent on the road botching a fg snap, missing two xp, and the balls and calls not bouncing your way.

I know a lot of people have piled on the defense. I think the players and coaches did the best with what they had which is a DL with no depth and a middle linebacker that lacks speed. We confused them early by dropping the backers deep into coverage but once KU adjusted we didn't have an answer.
    This might be one of the most logical posts I've seen!

Go Cubs Go!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

I felt that way during the Iowa game. The run was working but instead of handing A Rob the ball we kept handing it to the Iowa defenders. The game was much closer than the score suggests.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    We score a touchdown on that last play and everyone thinks they are the smartest coaches in the world.
    I can't agree. Most of us in the stands were wondering why we kept throwing it when we have a great ground attack and there was so much time left - this was well before the last play.