Thread: Latest AP Poll

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Latest AP Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Agreed. Never said the Big 12 hasn't had the Big 10's number head-to-head in recent years. It has. We're talking this year. Re-read the posts.
    The Big 10 is 4-6 vs. other BCS conferences this year, with 3 of the 4 wins coming against Syracuse and ISU. It will only get worse with another pathetic Big 10 bowl season. The bashing of the Big 10 is not subjective -- the Big 10 is a sad football conference and has been for several years. The results speak for themselves.

1-1 vs. Big 12 (Missouri>Illinois, Iowa>ISU)

2-1 vs. Big East (Penn State> Syracuse, Minn>Syracuse, Syracuse>NW)

0-1 vs. ACC (Virginia>Indiana)

1-3 vs. Pac 10 (USC>Ohio State, Cal>Minnesota, Oregon>Purdue, Iowa>Arizona)

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Thumbs Up

You have no clue who would win any of those games.
    We heard that last year before the three Big 10/Big 12 bowl games. Then the Big 12 won them all. It will happen again this year. Luckily the Big 10 has a new bowl lineup starting in 2010 that will create more competitive games, like the new Big 10 vs. Conference USA bowl.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 916
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    The Big 10 is 4-6 vs. other BCS conferences this year, with 3 of the 4 wins coming against Syracuse and ISU. It will only get worse with another pathetic Big 10 bowl season. The bashing of the Big 10 is not subjective -- the Big 10 is a sad football conference and has been for several years. The results speak for themselves.

1-1 vs. Big 12 (Missouri>Illinois, Iowa>ISU)

2-1 vs. Big East (Penn State> Syracuse, Minn>Syracuse, Syracuse>NW)

0-1 vs. ACC (Virginia>Indiana)

1-3 vs. Pac 10 (USC>Ohio State, Cal>Minnesota, Oregon>Purdue, Iowa>Arizona)
    And the Big 12 is 4-7 against other BCS conferences...

1-1 vs. Big 10 (Missouri>Illinois, Iowa>ISU)

2-2 vs. ACC (Kansas>Duke, VT>Nebraska, Miami>OU, Baylor>Wake)

0-1 vs. Pac 10 (UCLA>Kansas St.)

0-2 vs. Big East (West Virginia>Colorado, UConn>Baylor)

1-1 vs. SEC (Okie St.>Georgia, Arkansas>Texas A&M)

Two of your four wins came against Duke and Illinois. If the Big 10 is "sad" for being 4-6 against other BCS conferences, what would you call the Big 12 for being 4-7 against other BCS conferences?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We heard that last year before the three Big 10/Big 12 bowl games. Then the Big 12 won them all. It will happen again this year. Luckily the Big 10 has a new bowl lineup starting in 2010 that will create more competitive games, like the new Big 10 vs. Conference USA bowl.
    We also heard you on here earlier this year talking about how ISU would beat Iowa.

35-3.

You should hold off on talking bowl games until your team actually goes to one of any consequence. Congrats on that '77 Peach.

Thumbs Up

To use subjective crap like that to justify the Big 12's superiority, while at the same time brushing off the polls as opinionated garbage simply because they favor the Big 10 over the Big 12 speaks volumes.
    At this point, Gonzo, everything is subjective, including the polls. Why don't we reconvene this discussion say on about January 5? Last year, if it weren't for Iowa, the Little 11 was a total and complete embarrassment during the bowl season. My guess is this year will be no different.

In a way, I feel sorry for Ohio State. In recent years, they have breezed through the Little 11 schedule, received the automotic BCS berth, played a team with a heartbeat in their bowl game, and got embarrassed (that's of course except for 2002 when the officiating crew served up a national championship for them on fine china with chardenay on the side).

Last edited by Wingback; 10-15-2009 at 08:30 AM.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    At this point, Gonzo, everything is subjective, including the polls. Why don't we reconvene this discussion say on about January 5? Last year, if it weren't for Iowa, the Little 11 was a total and complete embarrassment during the bowl season. My guess is this year will be no different.

In a way, I feel sorry for Ohio State. In recent years, they have breezed through the Little 11 schedule, received the automotic BCS berth, played a team with a heartbeat in their bowl game, and got embarrassed (that's of course except for 2002 when the officiating crew served up a national championship for them on fine china with chardenay on the side).
    Your team is 2-7 all time in bowl games, has never made it to anything better than the Peach Bowl (30+ years ago), and you "feel sorry" for Ohio St.

Classic.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 14

Your definition of embarrassment must be different than mine because I don't think OSU was embarrassed last year at all. They got beat on a last second play by a team that many thought should be playing in hte national championship. And OSU's overall BCS record isn't that bad. It's not USC or Florida good, but it's not terrible either.

Thumbs Up

Instead of side-stepping the issue, any takers on reconvening this discussion on January 5?

And by the way Gonzo, how do you know "my team" has an overall bowl record of 2-7?

How do you know "my team" has never made it to a better bowl than the Peach Bowl?

"Classic!"

Last edited by Wingback; 10-15-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Thumbs Up

For the record, Ohio State is 3-3 in BCS Bowl games.

02-03 Fiesta - Ohio State 31 Miami 24
    03-04 Fiesta - Ohio State 35 Kansaas State 28
    05-06 Fiesta - Ohio State 34 Notre Dame 20
    06-07 National Championship - Florida 41 Ohio State 14
    07-08 National Championship - LSU 38 Ohio State 24
    08-09 Fiesta - Texas 24 Ohio State 21

I am not in any way saying Ohio State doesn't have a good football team. They certainly do and they are, without question, one of the top programs in the country. My point is that of late, the Buckeyes and most of their Little 11 counterparts have laid a collective egg in bowl games.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Instead of side-stepping the issue, any takers on reconvening this discussion on January 5?

And by the way Gonzo, how do you know "my team" has an overall bowl record of 2-7?

How do you know "my team" has never made it to a better bowl than the Peach Bowl?

"Classic!"
    I assumed you're an ISU fan. If not, who's your team?

Thumbs Up

If the Big 10 is "sad" for being 4-6 against other BCS conferences, what would you call the Big 12 for being 4-7 against other BCS conferences?
    How did the Big XII do in their bowl games last year compared to the Big 10?

How has the Big XII done against other BCS teams in the past 3 years compared to the Big 10?

How has the Big XII done against other BCS teams in the past 5 years compared to the Big 10?

A tiny sample size of 11 games does not mean anything. The Big XII has more than held their own against other BCS conferences over the long run. And the Big 10 has not. Thanks for playing, though.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    And OSU's overall BCS record isn't that bad. It's not USC or Florida good, but it's not terrible either.
    I don't think the criticism is of just Ohio State's record in BCS games....it's the fact that Ohio State would never have gone to most of those games if they played in the SEC, Big XII, or Pac-10.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

How did the Big XII do in their bowl games last year compared to the Big 10?

How has the Big XII done against other BCS teams in the past 3 years compared to the Big 10?

How has the Big XII done against other BCS teams in the past 5 years compared to the Big 10?

A tiny sample size of 11 games does not mean anything. The Big XII has more than held their own against other BCS conferences over the long run. And the Big 10 has not. Thanks for playing, though.
    Hilarious. You're the one who tried showing how bad the Big 10 is by citing their record against BCS teams this year. Then I show that the Big 12 has a worse record against BCS teams this year, and all of a sudden "a tiny sample size of 11 games doesn't mean anything."

Too easy.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 9

Hilarious. You're the one who tried showing how bad the Big 10 is by citing their record against BCS teams this year. Then I show that the Big 12 has a worse record against BCS teams this year, and all of a sudden "a tiny sample size of 11 games doesn't mean anything."

Too easy.
    Both of you arguing is like watching a monkey **** a football

Thumbs Up

Too easy.
    Dude, get a clue. I am showing that the Big 10 sucks because they have not had a winning record against other BCS teams for 5 years in a row.

When the Big XII hits the 5 year losing mark, get back to us. In the meantime, thanks for playing.