Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 19,741, Level: 42
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    480
    Points
    19,741
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 33

    It's a personnel issue

    This is my first post here but I have read a lot of the posts as a visitor over the last year plus. The way I see it is simple. We are doing the best we can with the wrong personnel for our system. I when A Rob has to almost be carried off the field and then shows up a few plays later, it just shows how little depth we have at RB. He is the only one that really fits this system and he has shown what can happen when we find that good fit. I have no clue why Bo doesn't fit, but that's for another post.

    AA played well today but he simply isn't the right fit. Can you imagine if we had a Seneca Wallace running this offense! Not just because he was fast, but he threw darts all over the field. I don't see that quick fire accuracy that would make this spread offense hum.

    Give the coaches a couple years to get the right personnel in place that actually fit in the system they are running and I think we are going to have a very fun team to watch.

    Defensively, not quite so simple. We just need to get some size and athleticism over there. We need a Reggie Heyward or Jason Berryman (without the BS) type player and all you need is one guy like that. A guy that causes problems for the offense and makes everyone around him better because he draws extra attention. It all starts on that D-line. If we can't get pressure, the result is what we saw today. You can't cover receivers forever, we have to create pressure. Our blitz's were pointless today. No speed from the outside and no pressure from the line up the middle.

    Okay, sorry for the long post... it was my first and I had a lot to say



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 187,701, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,370
    Points
    187,701
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 91

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    You maybe right but for the last 5 years ISU has been running a spread of some sort. AA is a dangerous QB when he is throwing the ball well, a dual threat QB that is hard to bring down. He can play in this system and has proven so. What he lacks is a true speedester at WR. Once again it is hard to go out and get Big 12 ready Dline men and the recurting at LB has struggled the past few years.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 44,343, Level: 65
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,207
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Subs
    Posts
    1,554
    Points
    44,343
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    Nice first post and welcome!


    Z


    The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 113,524, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,797
    Points
    113,524
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 78

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    Quote Originally Posted by oldwiseman View Post
    Give the coaches a couple years to get the right personnel in place that actually fit in the system they are running and I think we are going to have a very fun team to watch.
    Easy to say, tougher to do. You can't just order "talent" from amazon.com.
    We need a few wins this year to give Rhoads and his staff credibility with recruits that they want. We need to stand toe-to-toe with Iowa to get our share of in-state talent too.



  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 19,741, Level: 42
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    480
    Points
    19,741
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 33

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    Running "some sort of spread" and recuruiting for the spread we run now don't necissarily go hand in hand.

    I would disagree with you that AA has proven he is a real threat. He is an average QB and doesn't rank as one of the top in the Big XII north and I don't think I even need to mention the boys down South. The offense we run allows him the ability to run effectively but not as well as someone that was actually made for this system.

    Our recruiting has sucked, I will agree on that. The comment was made by the coaching staff that they weren't even sure Tiller was capable of playing DI football when they got here. We used to regularly have a handful of NFL caliber players on our team, where are they now? We don't have any.

    I know we all love AA because he is a hometown boy, and I admit 3 systems during his career is ridiculous. I'm not an AA hater, and I thought he played very well today. He is doing the best he can and I'm all for that. Not trying to tear him down, just saying when we get that right fit, it will be exciting. Imagine if AA was as good at his position as Arob is at his. That's what I'm looking forward to.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 106,953, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,446
    Points
    106,953
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 137

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    Today the offense wasn't the problem. 30+ points should get us plenty of wins.
    Defense is no doubt the issue and it became painfully obvious today why we don't blitz. When we did, we still didn't get pressure, and it just took 1-2 more guys out of coverage.
    We'd be better off rushing 2 off the edges and keeping 2 guys at linebacker depth on passing downs.


    Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 335,305, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,735
    Points
    335,305
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 162

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    Today the offense wasn't the problem. 30+ points should get us plenty of wins.
    Defense is no doubt the issue and it became painfully obvious today why we don't blitz. When we did, we still didn't get pressure, and it just took 1-2 more guys out of coverage.
    We'd be better off rushing 2 off the edges and keeping 2 guys at linebacker depth on passing downs.
    Yup. Not sure why folks are looking at the offense as the problem after this one. And, no one should be surprised KU made our defense look poor.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 179,530, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,761
    Points
    179,530
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 510

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    I'll agree that we have no depth at running back. I'll disagree that AA can't run a spreadwell. The defense, of course, is going to be a "Build a foundation" issue for the coaching staff--which starts with recruiting.




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 113,524, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,797
    Points
    113,524
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 78

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    Quote Originally Posted by oldwiseman View Post
    I know we all love AA because he is a hometown boy, and I admit 3 systems during his career is ridiculous. I'm not an AA hater, and I thought he played very well today. He is doing the best he can and I'm all for that. Not trying to tear him down, just saying when we get that right fit, it will be exciting. Imagine if AA was as good at his position as Arob is at his. That's what I'm looking forward to.
    This just in: Arnaud is more than a "hometown boy." He is one of the few in-state recruits lately that has chosen us over Iowa. Ferentz wanted him badly.
    Question for you: if the same Arnaud was a high school senior in 2009, do you seriously think Rhoads would not be recruiting him to play QB here? Get real.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 187,701, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,370
    Points
    187,701
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 91

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    AA will be fine in this system. Many forget the records he broke last year. They also forget he put up better numbers through the air as a soph that SW did as a Jr. He is also already has the 8th most passing yards in ISU history.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 356,130, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,945
    Points
    356,130
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 42

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    Quote Originally Posted by oldwiseman View Post
    This is my first post here but I have read a lot of the posts as a visitor over the last year plus. The way I see it is simple. We are doing the best we can with the wrong personnel for our system. I when A Rob has to almost be carried off the field and then shows up a few plays later, it just shows how little depth we have at RB. He is the only one that really fits this system and he has shown what can happen when we find that good fit. I have no clue why Bo doesn't fit, but that's for another post.

    AA played well today but he simply isn't the right fit. Can you imagine if we had a Seneca Wallace running this offense! Not just because he was fast, but he threw darts all over the field. I don't see that quick fire accuracy that would make this spread offense hum.

    Give the coaches a couple years to get the right personnel in place that actually fit in the system they are running and I think we are going to have a very fun team to watch.

    Defensively, not quite so simple. We just need to get some size and athleticism over there. We need a Reggie Heyward or Jason Berryman (without the BS) type player and all you need is one guy like that. A guy that causes problems for the offense and makes everyone around him better because he draws extra attention. It all starts on that D-line. If we can't get pressure, the result is what we saw today. You can't cover receivers forever, we have to create pressure. Our blitz's were pointless today. No speed from the outside and no pressure from the line up the middle.

    Okay, sorry for the long post... it was my first and I had a lot to say
    Welcome. I agree with everything you said as far as defense. As far as offense, I disagree with about everything. ARob was down because of a stinger, it wasn't his groin. His groin most likely did bother him, however he was still very effective. As far as AA, I don't know how you can say he can't play this system after today. Maybe the problem is more that the offense hasn't known which of the three systems of the last 4 years they are supposed to run. The offense today looked like they know what they are doing. AA can throw it. He hasn't shown it all year but he did today. he made a couple throws that were fantastic. The TD to Marquis was Sunday worthy. He isn't as consitent as we would like to see, but remember he has been through 3 OCs. As far as running, he is a beast, he really is. He isn't gonna break a 50 yarder, but finding a QB to do that is hard to do. He will however, get you 5 in a cloud of dust. He runs with power and every time he has one of those plowing 5 yard runs, the team gets fired up. He can run this system. It looks like now DD is healthy which is HUGE. That gives him three good receivers, 2 good tight ends, and if SED ever comes along for a game, he COULD be a gamebreaker.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 179,530, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,761
    Points
    179,530
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 510

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    Quote Originally Posted by oldwiseman View Post
    I'm not an AA hater, and I thought he played very well today. He is doing the best he can and I'm all for that. Not trying to tear him down, just saying when we get that right fit, it will be exciting. Imagine if AA was as good at his position as Arob is at his. That's what I'm looking forward to.
    Have to disagree with this, especially. AA is not doing anywhere close to "the best he can", and when he is, he may well be better at his position than ARob at his...

    Welcome to the board.




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,726, Level: 74
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clone5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,546
    Points
    57,726
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    It's always going to be a personnel problem in the end at Iowa State.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 179,530, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,761
    Points
    179,530
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 510

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    It's always going to be a personnel problem in the end at Iowa State.
    "Always" is an awfully long time.




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 356,130, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,945
    Points
    356,130
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 42

    Re: It's a personnel issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Have to disagree with this, especially. AA is not doing anywhere close to "the best he can", and when he is, he may well be better at his position than ARob at his...

    Welcome to the board.
    I agree completely. If AA ever hits his ceiling here, it could be ridonkulous.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM