Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

Packers may look at trading Kampman

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel

Green Bay Watching from the sidelines as Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen wreaked havoc against the Green Bay Packers with 4.5 sacks Monday night, Aaron Kampman acknowledged it harkened back to some of his own performances.
    Of course, that was before coordinator Dom Capers installed the 3-4 scheme, took Kampman out of his three-point stance, stood him up and dropped him into coverage a third of the time.
    Four games into the switch, it appears to be a mismatch - at least statistically.
    So far, Kampman has registered just one sack. It's his lowest four-game total since 2004. He had four at this point last season.I've been pleased with what Aaron's done through four games," Capers said this week. "The things we've asked him to do, I think he's done and done a good job. I think he had some good pass rushes (against the Vikings). It didn't show up in terms of sacks and that type of thing, but he did a nice job."
    In the personnel department of the Packers, that might include at least discussing the possibility of trading Kampman before the Oct. 20 trade deadline.
    Kampman is in the final year of his contract. Even if there is no new collective bargaining agreement in place before the 2010 season, Kampman will be an unrestricted free agent in a market without a salary cap. For a player of Kampman's reputation, that would certainly be an enticing proposition.
    If Kampman is not signed to a contract extension before the end of the season, he could walk away and the Packers would get only a compensatory pick no higher than in the third round in return.
    If the Packers trade Kampman, he could bring higher draft picks and/or players.

Be interesting to see what happens

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Packers may look at trading Kampman

Vikings can sign him. Kampman and Allen on sides and Williams's in the middle..Thatd be amazing

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,571
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 136

Dom Capers is a genius

#BEATIOWA

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,183
    Given: 109

I feel bad for him. In a 4-3 scheme, he is a top flight defensive end. In the 3-4 he's just not a good fit. Not big enough to play DE, not fast enough to play linebacker. I could see him being incredibly successful in a system like Chicago's or Philly's.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 114

Quote Originally Posted by jdewaard View Post
    I feel bad for him. In a 4-3 scheme, he is a top flight defensive end. In the 3-4 he's just not a good fit. Not big enough to play DE, not fast enough to play linebacker. I could see him being incredibly successful in a system like Chicago's or Philly's.
    My thoughts exactly. Guy is a great old school football player. Plays the run and pass both very well. He may be a Hawk, but he is a heck of a football player and seems like a good guy.

He has to get out of GB now though. He just doesn't belong there anymore, and his talent is being wasted. If memory serves, the Vikes signed him years ago, and the Pack matched. Will be interesting to see how this thing turns out. He still has several good years left, and should get a pretty nice contract from somebody.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 15

The Bears need him and he could be great within that scheme.

Too bad interdivision trades hardly ever happen.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Guy is a great old school football player. Plays the run and pass both very well. He may be a Hawk, but he is a heck of a football player and seems like a good guy.

He has to get out of GB now though. He just doesn't belong there anymore, and his talent is being wasted. If memory serves, the Vikes signed him years ago, and the Pack matched. Will be interesting to see how this thing turns out. He still has several good years left, and should get a pretty nice contract from somebody.
    You're right, the Vikings almost signed him once upon a time. I was really disappointed when Green Bay matched. I thought he would have fit it, well.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Prospect
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I never thought I could support a Hawk until Kampman came along. In the past few years, he has been one of my favorite Packers. I really like where the defense is heading with the 3-4. However, Aaron just does not fit in andis not as effective of a player as he can be. With our LB debth he does not stand out at the new position. I wish he could still be DE but it appears that's not going to happen here so it really would be best to get something like a low pick, OL, or a safety that won't break. I really would hate to see him go though.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Kampman has not been exploited in coverage. Unfortunately, he is ineffective if he doesn't start with his hand on the ground. All season the Packers have played a nickel defense with 2 DL and the OLBs in essentially the same spot as a DE. Kampman gets no pressure. He needs to be on the line because he doesn't blow by anyone (hasn't for years) and most of his pressure comes from countering and hand fighting.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Every time Kampman retreats into coverage, it's hard not to wonder if that’s the best use of his skills. But I’m not sure what the answer is here. The Packers’ decision to change schemes was about much more than Aaron Kampman. Good pass-rushers are rare, and you should always maximize their skills. But should the Packers have maintained their previous scheme simply to keep Kampman in his regular position? I don’t think so.

To this point, his sack totals have been an unfortunate -- and not entirely unpredictable -- by-product of a larger plan to improve.
    From Kevin Seifert at ESPN Blog

Reviewing NFC North at quarter pole - NFC North - ESPN

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

He looked lost Monday night. Getting out of Green Bay would probably be best for both of them... I think the one play that says it all was the pass late where Favre had all day to throw, Kampman was in coverage and you could almost see him saying, "wtf am I doing here?"

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    He looked lost Monday night. Getting out of Green Bay would probably be best for both of them... I think the one play that says it all was the pass late where Favre had all day to throw, Kampman was in coverage and you could almost see him saying, "wtf am I doing here?"
    That's a terrible example. He like everyone else was probably wondering "what is Jolly doing?". The Packers rushed 4 on that play. Unfortunately, the left side DL (Jolly) went with the running back because he was the outside defender. It was Kampman's man and Kampman went too. Two guys covering the RB and two guys rushing. It was a screwed up play.

Now me, during that play, I was thinking "man, I wish Kampman still had his hand on the ground because he was great at coverage sacks".

Let me repeat it though, because it's true, Kampman hasn't been a detriment in coverage. He can still stop the run. He just can't get to the qb for coverage sacks anymore.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbIowa View Post
    Now me, during that play, I was thinking "man, I wish Kampman still had his hand on the ground because he was great at coverage sacks".

I think you misunderstood what I meant... What I meant is that he was saying wtf because he should have been in there causing pressure as Favre had all day to sit there and throw.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbIowa View Post
    That's a terrible example. He like everyone else was probably wondering "what is Jolly doing?". The Packers rushed 4 on that play. Unfortunately, the left side DL (Jolly) went with the running back because he was the outside defender. It was Kampman's man and Kampman went too. Two guys covering the RB and two guys rushing. It was a screwed up play.

Let me repeat it though, because it's true, Kampman hasn't been a detriment in coverage. He can still stop the run. He just can't get to the qb for coverage sacks anymore.
    Kevin Seifert put it best in the article linked earlier.

"The Packers have traded an elite defensive end for a competent linebacker."

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    Vikings can sign him. Kampman and Allen on sides and Williams's in the middle..Thatd be amazing
    That would just be unfair....and I'd love it.