Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 22

Prius re-sale value

so i just found out what the resale value was on our Prius. Yesterday my wife got in an accident and her Prius was totaled. We bought it 3 years ago for $23,000 and the resale on it was $19,000 still. i was blown away.

Starter
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 0

Re: Prius re-sale value

When the Prius was in high demand, the Kelly Blue Book value was actually more than the sales price. But that was like two years ago.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

What kind of accident? After seeing crash tests of those things I would never want to be in one with some force or high speed because it looks like that thing crumples like a pop can.

Go Cubs Go!

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    What kind of accident? After seeing crash tests of those things I would never want to be in one with some force or high speed because it looks like that thing crumples like a pop can.
    she was in a head on going about 40. and to be honest it did look like the front was really smashed in. but the 2nd gen prius has a pretty short front end. the hood is only about 3 feet long or so. it looked a lot worse because it's such a short hood.

bought a new one tonight :D

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 294

Don't count out today's technology.

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.a****log.com/media/2009/09/0006-malibu_oc_lg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.a****log.com/media/2009/09/0007-belair_oc_lg.jpg[/IMG]

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...009-chevy.aspx

Last edited by dmclone; 10-07-2009 at 08:20 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

yeah that video is pretty scary to think how unsafe cars used to be.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isubeatle View Post
    yeah that video is pretty scary to think how unsafe cars used to be.
    Depends on the car, my brother and I beat the hell out of a 1977 Ford Granada as our first car and that front metal bumper probably saved our butts a few times.

Go Cubs Go!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Depends on the car, my brother and I beat the hell out of a 1977 Ford Granada as our first car and that front metal bumper probably saved our butts a few times.

Old cars like that could take a good beating at low speeds because of the big steel bumpers. Once they crash at a decent speed they will crumple.

Rookie
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 588
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

This photo is bull. Newer cars have those crush zones that collapse as it forces its way into the object. However, a closer look at this photo indicates that because this 1961 car has it's left front wheel assembly gone and subsequent structural damage it was travelling much faster than the "POP Can" and hit it's object OFF CENTER where as all the energy was focused on the corner and driver's area. IF these two cars hit "EACHOTHER" head on at lets say 50 MPH the "POP CAN" would NOT win.... Period! The law of "he who hath the most gross tonnage" would play out in that scenairo.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by iowaboy View Post
    This photo is bull. Newer cars have those crush zones that collapse as it forces its way into the object. However, a closer look at this photo indicates that because this 1961 car has it's left front wheel assembly gone and subsequent structural damage it was travelling much faster than the "POP Can" and hit it's object OFF CENTER where as all the energy was focused on the corner and driver's area. IF these two cars hit "EACHOTHER" head on at lets say 50 MPH the "POP CAN" would NOT win.... Period! The law of "he who hath the most gross tonnage" would play out in that scenairo.
    Actually these exact two cars did hit "EACHOTHER"

Pics Aplenty: IIHS reveals before and after of Malibu/Bel Air crash — A****log

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by iowaboy View Post
    Funny, that's a law I don't remember learning during engineering or physics classes. And I suppose that not wearing a seatbelt is okay because a person can brace themselves with their arms against their steering wheel in the event of a crash? The reason that a new car wins comes down to a few simple things that didn't exist 50 years ago.

1. Better steel. The mix of alloying elements used in steel today is much better than that used 50 years ago. It all comes down to the accuracy with which you can control your process (temp, composition and others). I'm pretty sure what I learned in controls is that 50 years ago, people weren't using microprocessor based processing lines, many of the controls at the time were mechanically based, and while these can be great (look at a good watch for examples of this), digital control is SO much better. Better control=more exact conditions=better steel. Even .001% change in an alloying element can make a change in the strength of a steel.

2. Inelastic vs Elastic collisions. Read about them, they apply. See the next point for discussion involving them.

3.Impulse. It's not just the force applied that is deadly, but the time over which it is applied. By lengthening that time, you reduce the pressure applied. I can sit here and push my hand against the wall all day but it doesn't generate enough pressure to push through, whereas if I were to punch the wall, I would need to buy some mesh and some drywall compound. The same thing applies to the car. By crumpling and giving way in the precisely engineered way that those 'pop cans' do, the whole frame is able to take the impact over a much larger amount of time rather than just the precise spot that was hit. It also doesn't matter so much if the newer cars are hit off center, because the frame is also welded better (due to better controls and robot welders) and the pieces of steel fit together better and at better angles, allowing the force to be transferred no matter the angle at which the car is hit. In contrast in the older cars the force is applied all at once to a certain spot, and while this may prevent cosmetic damage at very low speed collisions, the force/pressure involved in high speed collisions will cause the steel in older cars to fail, and it will not take time to crumple, rather it will fail more immediately causing crumpling of the passenger compartment, whereas the newer car is designed to let the other pieces crumple to save the passenger compartment. It's like an egg really. To protect an egg from dropping off of a building, you don't wrap it in a piece of steel. Instead, you give it cushioning, inside of a steel case, inside of more cushioning.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 351

My dad got hit head-on about 10 years ago by a drunk at 50+ mph. He was in a minivan that looked like hell afterwards, the engine even left the vehicle but the seatbelt saved his life. Old car or new, WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT! There is a 100% chance that my Dad would be dead otherwise.

They leave a hell of a funny bruise though. :)

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    Old car or new, WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT! There is a 100% chance that my Dad would be dead otherwise.

I agree with this 100%! I rolled a car back in HS, was pouring down rain and I lost control on our muddy gravel road and the back end swung around and caught the gravel lip on the side of the road and slowly rolled the car onto it's roof into the ditch. I was litterally hanging upside down in the car but who knows what would have happened if I had been tossed around when it rolled.

Go Cubs Go!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you watch the video it really gives a good idea of the difference in impact. The video inside of the old car is very violent compared to the new chevy.

Pro
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 320

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    My dad got hit head-on about 10 years ago by a drunk at 50+ mph. He was in a minivan that looked like hell afterwards, the engine even left the vehicle but the seatbelt saved his life. Old car or new, WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT! There is a 100% chance that my Dad would be dead otherwise.

I used to never wear a seat belt. One day about 1990 we had a bad ice storm in March. I had to drive home to Roland Ia. Because of the ice I decided it would be a good idea to actually wear the seat belt. I was driving north from Nevada on county road S14 and it was in pretty good shape. Unfortunately they only sanded up until R77. As soon as I crossed R77 I started sliding all over the place. I was working that wheel like mad until I finally went straight into the ditch.
    That seat belt kept me from going into the windshield. I have always worn it ever since.