Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 22

possible recruits

I believe BF and JS were in Chicago for these events.

Lewis: Underclass stars from Chicago events - ESPN

I believe we have interest in Eliza Normen; her stock seems to be rising fast.

and I wonder if anyone knows much about Virginia Johnson. Out of Iowa City, so I would guess she would go the way of the Hawks if offered. We seem to like tall perimeter players.

Jen Keitel anyone?

Last edited by twistedredbird; 10-06-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Re: possible recruits

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    and I wonder if anyone knows much about Virginia Johnson. Out of Iowa City, so I would guess she would go the way of the Hawks if offered. We seem to like tall perimeter players.
    I think Johnson plays PF for City High, although the Team Iowa roster lists her as guard (in addition to the article calling her a perimeter player) so I'm guessing she expects to be more of a wing in college and is working on that in AAU. I saw her against Linn-Mar last season and Stokes completely shut her down, but that was pretty common for opposing post players vs. Linn-Mar.

She is highly regarded (DMR 4A first team last year with Stokes, Printy, Nesbitt, and SC North's Ceasar) and probably has several offers, but I don't know anything specific.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I ran into one of the assistant coaches (Jodi Steyer?) at our hotel in Kansas City Friday night. She said she was in town recruiting someone, but I didn't ask who.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

There was a open veiwing period tourney in South KC this weekend, I saw some All Iowa Attack parents around. Lot of teams from Kansas, Missouri Texas and Colorado. Plenty of kids to look at, including one from Huxley that BF wants.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 20

BTW - in his Twitter update today Coach Bill mentioned he was looking forward to the workout with the team this afternoon ?#?

Do the women have a different start date vs men?

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    BTW - in his Twitter update today Coach Bill mentioned he was looking forward to the workout with the team this afternoon ?#?

Do the women have a different start date vs men?
    Both teams are having workouts. The weekly hours are limited and there are other restrictions as to the content of the workouts, but they are allowed for both WBB and MBB.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Both teams are having workouts. The weekly hours are limited and there are other restrictions as to the content of the workouts, but they are allowed for both WBB and MBB.
    To be more specific:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uplo...c781e128ae.pdf (p 224 sec 17.3.2)

17.3.2 Preseason Practice—on-Court Practice. A member institution shall not commence on-court preseason basketball practice sessions prior to 5 p.m. on the Friday nearest October 15 (see Figure 17-2). (Revised: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 1/14/08 effective 8/1/08)

17.3.2.1 Permissible Conditioning Activities. Team conditioning or physical-fitness activities supervised by coaching staff members may be conducted on or of court but shall not begin prior to the beginning of the institution’s academic year in accordance with Bylaw 17.1.6.2. Such activities shall be limited to eight hours per week. (Revised: 1/10/90 effective 8/1/92, 1/16/93, 1/11/94)

17.3.2.2 Prohibited Activities. Prior to the start of on-court preseason basketball practice per Bylaw 17.3.2, members of the institution’s coaching staff may not be involved with one or more team members at any location in any of the following activities except as permitted in Bylaws 17.1.6.2.2 and 17.3.6: (Revised: 1/10/90 effective 8/1/92, 1/11/94, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97)
    (a) Setting up offensive or defensive alignments;
    (b) Chalk talks;
    (c) Discussions of game strategy;
    (d) Reviewing game films or videotapes;
    (e) Activities using basketball equipment; or
    (f ) Observing student-athletes in any basketball activities even if such activities are not arranged by the institution’s coach. (Revised: 9/23/05)

17.3.2.2.1 Exception—Team Promotional Activities. Team promotional activities (e.g., autograph sessions, fan picture sessions, meeting with fans) per Bylaw 12.5.1 are permissible prior to the start of on-court preseason basketball practice per Bylaw 17.3.2, provided these promotional arrangements do not involve any of the practice activities prohibited under the provisions of Bylaw 17.3.2.2. (Revised: 1/11/94, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97)

17.3.2.2.2 Exception—Officiating Clinic. Prior to the start of on-court preseason basketball practice per Bylaw 17.5.2, student-athletes may observe an officiating clinic related to playing rules that is conducted by video conference, provided no student-athlete misses class time to observe the clinic. (Adopted: 1/9/96, Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97)
    In short, the workouts can start as soon as the school year starts, but you can't use basketballs or work on offensive/defensive strategies and sets (unless no coaches are present or observing in any other way).

Before reading this I thought pretty much anything was allowed as long as no actual basketballs were allowed, but in reality there's not a whole lot you are allowed to do other than conditioning.

Last edited by mred; 10-06-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The team as a whole cannot practice together, but there are small group things (3-4) where they are doing drills and player development stuff. You only get two hours a week with each player/group to do that though.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cgwarrior33 View Post
    The team as a whole cannot practice together, but there are small group things (3-4) where they are doing drills and player development stuff. You only get two hours a week with each player/group to do that though.
    Here's a rule related to that:

17.1.6.2.2 Skill Instruction—Sports other than Baseball and Football. Participation by student-athletes in individual skill-related instruction in sports other than baseball and football is permitted outside the institution’s declared playing season, from the institution’s first day of classes of the academic year or September 15, whichever occurs earlier, to one week prior to the beginning of the institution’s final examination period at the conclusion of the academic year [see Bylaw 17.1.6.2-(a)]. More than four student-athletes from the team may be involved in skill-related instruction with their coaches from September 15 through April 15. Prior to September 15 and after April 15, no more than four student-athletes from the same team may be involved in skill-related instruction with their coaches at any one time in any facility. Skill-related instruction shall not be publicized and shall not be conducted in view of a general public audience. (Adopted: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/95, Revised: 1/9/96, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 10/27/98, 10/31/02 effective 8/1/03, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 4/28/05, 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06, 4/26/07 effective 8/1/07, 10/30/08)
    EDIT: And another, which mentions the 2-hour rule:

17.1.6.2 Weekly Hour Limitations—Outside the Playing Season. (Adopted: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91, Revised: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/95, 1/14/97, 11/1/00, 10/31/02 effective 8/1/03, 3/10/04)
    (a) Sports other than Football. Outside of the playing season, from the institution’s first day of classes of the academic year or September 15, whichever occurs earlier, to one week prior to the beginning of the institution’s final examination period at the conclusion of the academic year, only a student-athlete’s participation in required weight-training, conditioning and skill-related instruction shall be permitted. A student-athlete’s participation in such activities per Bylaw 17.02.1 shall be limited to a maximum of eight hours per week with not more than two hours per week spent on skill-related workouts. All athletically related activities outside the playing season are prohibited one week prior to the beginning of the final examination period for the applicable academic term through the conclusion of each student-athlete’s final exams. (Revised: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06, 9/22/06)

Last edited by mred; 10-06-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 31

In short, the workouts can start as soon as the school year starts, but you can't use basketballs or work on offensive/defensive strategies and sets (unless no coaches are present or observing in any other way).

Before reading this I thought pretty much anything was allowed as long as no actual basketballs were allowed, but in reality there's not a whole lot you are allowed to do other than conditioning.
    Basketballs are in fact allowed - or we're breaking the rules, which I doubt. Every time I've seen a supervised practice this fall - men or women - they were doing drills or scrimmaging with basketballs. There are even photos of the women on cyclones.com with coach with Coach Scaben supervising.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Basketballs are in fact allowed - or we're breaking the rules, which I doubt. Every time I've seen a supervised practice this fall - men or women - they were doing drills or scrimmaging with basketballs. There are even photos of the women on cyclones.com with coach with Coach Scaben supervising.
    My statement wasn't entirely accurate. If I understand the rules right (and I may not be) then between Sept 15 and Oct 15 they can have full team skill work. Prior to Sept 15 the limit is four players per session. In both cases, this is strictly limited to two hours per week until Oct 16th rolls around.

Prospect
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Jen Keitel is from DeWitt. She's tall. Not the first option on our high school team. She's getting mail from everywhere according to her Dad.
    Including Iowa State and iowa.

Walk On
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Jen Keitel is from DeWitt. She's tall. Not the first option on our high school team. She's getting mail from everywhere according to her Dad.
    Including Iowa State and iowa.
    She is also a legitimate 6-3 and moves well with and without the ball. She is one of two or more D1 prospects on the Central DeWitt team. Should be fun watching them the next two years. Of course, I am slightly biased considering she is my niece.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by farewayfool View Post
    She is also a legitimate 6-3 and moves well with and without the ball. She is one of two or more D1 prospects on the Central DeWitt team. Should be fun watching them the next two years. Of course, I am slightly biased considering she is my niece.
    Do you know if ISU has offered her, or are they just showing some interest so far?

Walk On
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Do you know if ISU has offered her, or are they just showing some interest so far?
    I believe they are just showing interest and seeing how things develop over the next year.