Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 0

film scanner problem

I wonder if anyone on here can help me. I have a Nikon LS40 coolscan IV ED film scanner. It works great for scanning 35mm slides and negatives. I want to install it on my new laptop but can't find the cd with the drivers for it. I have two cd's but apparently neither contains the driver file. I haven't been able to locate it on the internet and have emailed Nikon so hopefully will have an answer from them tomorrow.
    But, if they won't send me the file, is it possible to get the drivers from my old computer and what kind of file extension would I be looking for?
    The other thing is, even if I can find that file, would the drivers for XP not work on vista?

Iowa State Football Photos from the past
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p928725649

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

Re: film scanner problem

some XP drivers work on vista. It depends on the device.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...=32-bit&vd=all

says you can get them from here:
    Nikon Scan 4.0.3 - Windows Vista

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks, Jumbo, for helping me. I looked there and I see the scanning software but not the drivers to physically install the scanner on my laptop. The cd I have has the scanning software but I will update that to a better version from the link you gave me.

When I plug in my scanner (USB) to the computer it says to insert the cd, which I did, but it can't find the drivers. Then it trys to find the files within windows but can't find them there either. So, I am guessing I have lost one of the cd's that came with the scanner.

I emailed Nikon last night and they say within 24 hours I will have an answer so hopefully they will just give me the file I need. If I can't use the scanner on this machine it will feel like having a last second game-tying extra point blocked!!

Anyway, it's very nice of you to take the time to help me research this. I'll let you know what I hear from Nikon.

Wes

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by wesley_w View Post
    Thanks, Jumbo, for helping me. I looked there and I see the scanning software but not the drivers to physically install the scanner on my laptop. The cd I have has the scanning software but I will update that to a better version from the link you gave me.

When I plug in my scanner (USB) to the computer it says to insert the cd, which I did, but it can't find the drivers. Then it trys to find the files within windows but can't find them there either. So, I am guessing I have lost one of the cd's that came with the scanner.

I emailed Nikon last night and they say within 24 hours I will have an answer so hopefully they will just give me the file I need. If I can't use the scanner on this machine it will feel like having a last second game-tying extra point blocked!!

Anyway, it's very nice of you to take the time to help me research this. I'll let you know what I hear from Nikon.

Wes
    No problem. Did you try just installing the Nikon software? Often it installs the drivers as part of the installation process, and they don't exist in a format that Windows can find when it scans the CD looking for them.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Jumbo, You were correct. The drivers are on the installation disk. It turns out the problem is vista64. Here is the reply from Nikon. So, at least I know they are working on it.
    I can still use the scanner on my desktop so I am at least able to use it.
    Wes

Hi Wesley,

Thank you for writing.
    The drivers come included with the software, if the OS on your computer is Windows Vista 64 bit, unfortunately this system is yet not compatible with our software.At the moment our Quality Team is working on the matter but we do not have a times table to when it will be fully supported.

Again, Thank you
    Virnalisa U.
    The Nikon Team