Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 510
    Given: 7

Why so sad?

I cannot understand the negativity of most people on this board. Cyclone fans allow themselves to go through a viscous cycle of:

1) Play down our chances going into a given year
    2) At the first sign of success, play up our chances of success in a given year .
    3) As soon as something again goes poorly, come full circle and begin believing once again that we are the worst team in the Big 12.

If you go back to posts before the year, the overwhelming consensus was 4-5 wins. We are still in great shape do just that, and maybe pull of 6 wins. While we are still on track to fulfil the expectations of many, the overall tenor amongst fans seems to be exceedingly pessimistic.

I still think we have hit it "out of the park" when it comes to our coaches. CPR is learning how to be a head coach, and you have to take the good with the bad there. Overall, he seems to be a good players coach with great enthusiasm for the university. Burnham seems to be a great fit, as he has our defense playing well beyond anyones expectations. I know everyone was waiting for our explosive offense, but as disappointing as that has been at times, our defense has been that much of a suprise success.

The offense has looked shakey at times, but in all reality, I think we should have expected it. Herman obviously knows his stuff, but it just will take more than one spring and half of a football season to get the players accustomed to it. We have quality players with experience out there, and also the right mix of talent in good places.

I think part of our perpetual pessimism towards football comes from the fact that we have seen other similar programs (Kansas, Missouri, TT, ect.) have recent success. What we can't forget is that these teams did not become successful overnight. It took them 3-4 years to get their systems in place. They built there success on bringing in 2-3 star recruits with potential, and not reeling in all blue-chippers. We are headed down that same path, and in due time we will see the same success.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 367

Re: Why so sad?

We lost. Automatically means it's time for CycloneFanatic to go into meltdown mode. It means we suck and we're never going to win another game and it's time to fire Rhoads and JP

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Burnham is getting the most out of our defense and once the offense starts clicking -- look out! Baylor, Texas A&M, and Colorado are all winnable games and we've got a puncher's chance in the rest. Go Cyclones!

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,005
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 28

Dude, we just lost a football game we had no business losing to a horrible team by a freaking blocked extra point.

If we didn't have a few meltdown threads and frustration running threw the board I'd be concerned nobody on here owned a pair of nuts. Don't worry there is no fanbase in the country that can bounce back like we can.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 233
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Dude, we just lost a football game we had no business losing to a horrible team by a freaking blocked extra point.

If we didn't have a few meltdown threads and frustration running threw the board I'd be concerned nobody on here owned a pair of nuts. Don't worry there is no fanbase in the country that can bounce back like we can.
    Well, some of us don't anyway. I guess we're the rational ones.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I still don't see what the necessity of a meltdown is...

Has it occured to you that maybe we ar a horrible team too? We are in no position, as fans, to go into any game expecting to win. Not every loss creates a need to give up 3 years worth of hope on the football team, call for the firing of the AD, question the hiring of our coaches, call for a back-up quarterback, and question why our 3rd string running back isn't playing.

Am I the only one that sees the absurdity of this? If that PAT goes gets kicked a foot higher, no one is upset and we are talking about a bowl game. Because it does not, all the sudden people want to do all of the afore mentioned things.

Sometimes I worry what some of you people do when something that is actually bad happens in your personal life...or is "meltdown mode" exclusive to Iowa State athletics?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ms3r4ISU View Post
    Well, some of us don't anyway. I guess we're the rational ones.
    Yes you do. Your "Ms3r4ISU" aren't you?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post

Sometimes I worry what some of you people do when something that is actually bad happens in your personal life...or is "meltdown mode" exclusive to Iowa State athletics?
    I'm a cutter, personally. I typically carry a razor blade but some broken glass will do in a pinch.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I still don't see what the necessity of a meltdown is...

Has it occured to you that maybe we ar a horrible team too? We are in no position, as fans, to go into any game expecting to win. Not every loss creates a need to give up 3 years worth of hope on the football team, call for the firing of the AD, question the hiring of our coaches, call for a back-up quarterback, and question why our 3rd string running back isn't playing.

Am I the only one that sees the absurdity of this? If that PAT goes gets kicked a foot higher, no one is upset and we are talking about a bowl game. Because it does not, all the sudden people want to do all of the afore mentioned things.

C'mon, nobody is questioning the hiring of coaches and the same sob's questioning JP are the one's that have been doing so for 4 years. I actually think the "meltdown" if you want to call it that has been relativly calm. You don't see many actuall meltdowns...just a lot of frustration which I think is warrented.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

C'mon, nobody is questioning the hiring of coaches and the same sob's questioning JP are the one's that have been doing so for 4 years. I actually think the "meltdown" if you want to call it that has been relativly calm. You don't see many actuall meltdowns...just a lot of frustration which I think is warrented.
    Fair enough...I just have decided many people on this board were born without coping mechanisms. It is sad to see grown adults get so worked up about an unfavorable ending to a football game...

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 18

Fair enough...I just have decided many people on this board were born without coping mechanisms. It is sad to see grown adults get so worked up about an unfavorable ending to a football game...
    Well, CF is a pretty healthy outlet. My therapist says it's better than the spray paint huffing...

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

NEWSFLASH: It's not easy being a Cyclone fan.

Disappointment is a key component of our persona. It's been this way for a very long time, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Remain humble, and savor the victories. If you are an ISU fan because you wanted to be happy every Saturday night, you got in to the wrong line.

Recruit
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Lighten up Francis

"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
    -Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

I agree, I thought this was rather tame considering who we lost to and the nature of the loss. It could be much, much worse around here.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

This is a coping mechanism. Stop ******** on my parade *****.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...