Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

Hawkeye arrogance starts at the top

The B10 commish had some comments on why/how the B10 is better than everyone else after the last signing day.
    A couple of comments:
    "I love speed and the SEC has great speed, especially on the defensive line, but there are appropriate balances when mixing academics and athletics," wrote Delany on the Big Ten website.
    "I wish we had (seven) teams among the top 10 recruiting classes every year, but winning our way requires some discipline and restraint with the recruitment process,"

Attitude sound familiar?

Quotes from Yahoo sports story:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?s...yhoo&type=lgns

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 75

Re: Hawkeye arrogance starts at the top

I really don't think there is any comparison between the lower academic acceptance standards of the SEC and other major conferences, including the Big 12. So, what's the problem with the statement?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 32

The big 12 does not think it is the #1 conference though. They only care that Texas is the #1 team. The big 12 is UT and the little 11. You can tell this with the attitude the conf has towards the other schools.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    The big 12 does not think it is the #1 conference though. They only care that Texas is the #1 team. The big 12 is UT and the little 11. You can tell this with the attitude the conf has towards the other schools.
    Terrific post. The Big 12 is a joke, in so many respects. The Big 8 entered this agreement, and has totally subjugated themselves to the damn SWC schools that needed us more than we needed them at the time.

UT in all sports, OU in football, KU in basketball are all protected. This conference does not care at all about the Iowa State's of the world.

Now before the morality of this board comes on and tells us that we haven't done anything to warrant being cared about, I will just offer that the other conferences at least will stand up for the Vanderbilt's, and Northwestern's of their worlds. Dallas would rather Iowa State just dry up and blow away than having to deal with us.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 539
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 18

I too am frustrated with the Big 12's southern focus. It wasn't that long ago when Nebraska and Kansas State were football powerhouses and ISU won Big 12 basketball championships. The North will rise again.

Walk On
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

The SEC motto, "If you ain't cheatin you ain't winnin".

I don't see anything wrong with what the Big Ten Commish said. We totally got screwed on the Big 12 merger with the SWC schools.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 162

Agreed, nothing wrong with what was said - it's pretty accurate.

It would be real swell if the Big 12 could get it's head out of its arse and get a decent TV contract. Exposure would be the first good step in helping steal talent from the Big 10, SEC, etc. Unless your name is Texas, Nebraska or Oklahoma - your football team rarely gets a decent TV slot. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by cybot View Post
    The SEC motto, "If you ain't cheatin you ain't winnin".

I don't see anything wrong with what the Big Ten Commish said. We totally got screwed on the Big 12 merger with the SWC schools.
    You hit the nail on the head there, like was stated before....the north will rise again.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 10

The big 12's bias towards the southern schools is the reason why I think we'd join the big 10 in a second if we could. We'd have a kickass tv contract and a different recruiting foothold. At least we wouldn't have to deal with the recruiting BS of being the northern most school in the big 12, just the western most in the big 10.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

The Texas bias in unreal on some Big 12 message boards. That's kind of the reason I stopped posting on the ESPN boards. Everytime I'd either bring up ISU, or any sport that wasn't considered important to the southern schools (read: Texas), they'd decide that it was relevant to point out that ISU doesn't have an NC in football. Instead of being supportive of all the schools, about once a month they have a discussion on who should be kicked out of the conference (we're number one in a lot of them), regardless that Iowa State basically started the conference when it was just the Big 4 with ISU and Nebraska the only two remaining schools from that conference still in the Big 12... It just got too frustrating.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 91

Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    I too am frustrated with the Big 12's southern focus. It wasn't that long ago when Nebraska and Kansas State were football powerhouses and ISU won Big 12 basketball championships. The North will rise again.
    Perhaps the reason that the focus has shifted to the Big 12 South is because...the Big 12 North hasn't been very good at the major sports for quite a few years now, except for KU in MBB.

Yes, Texas fans are arrogant sometimes, and it's easy to be annoyed by them. And yes, UT has tons of money. But really, how is it the Big 12 South's fault that ISU fell from the top of the conference in MBB and WBB? How is the FB disaster at former football power CU the fault of any team in the Big 12 South? How is it the South's fault that NU decided to play musical coaches? I know it feels good to snipe at the South, but IMO all that does is serve to mask the real problems that caused the North to slip. It's not just a money issue...NU has plenty of money.

There have been some ill-advised hirings made among the coaching ranks in the Big 12 North. I think that problem has been remedied in many cases, and the Big 12 North teams are starting to rebound. It's not like everybody in the Big 12 South is a powerhouse. Remember, OU and OSU are old Big 8 teams.

There's a great chance for the Big 12 North to start it's comeback this weekend with ISU fighting for the conference wrestling championship, and perhaps even sneaking out a national title.

For those who want to move to the Big Ten...there's lots of big money in the Big Ten too. Where do you think ISU might end up on the athletic expenditure list in that conference? The Big Ten isn't going to turn ISU into a national power. The population and the TV's are growing fastest in the south. The Big 12 is a young league, they'll have a better TV deal soon. Better things are coming. The Big 12 / Pac-10 challenge is just the start of those better things.

If ISU can get FB and MBB turned around, The Clones will be sitting pretty in the Big 12. It was announced today that the Cotton Bowl is moving to the new 80,000 to 100,000 seat Cowboys stadium in Arlington. That's going to be one of the best bowl venues in the country for quite some time, and the Big 12 plays in it. Making the Cotton Bowl should be a reasonably obtainable short term goal for ISU FB. Hang in.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 02-27-2007 at 07:53 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 31

I understand people's angst towards Big 12 south teams with their lavish budgets, etc, but the Big 12 is definitely an asset to ISU. Remember when Texas or OU wins a NC a cut of that comes back to ISU via the Big 12. And as for recruiting, I'll bet one of the biggest angles our coaches use is "you'll get a chance to play in the Big 12". You look at ISU's football schedule year in and year out, and it's a path (albeit a steep one) to a BCS game with shots at OU, Neb and the Texas teams. To be the best we need to play with the best.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I understand what you guys are trying to say, and I agree that the Big 12 is important and beneficial to ISU, but what I loathe is Texas' elitist attitudes. When we almost won the North 2 years in a row, what was their response? It wasn't a "close" or "good try", all it was, was "well, you're ISU, what do you expect?"

"Seven minutes to glory."

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 162

Quote Originally Posted by isugcs View Post
    To be the best we need to play with the best.
    I agree with you 100%.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    I understand what you guys are trying to say, and I agree that the Big 12 is important and beneficial to ISU, but what I loathe is Texas' elitist attitudes. When we almost won the North 2 years in a row, what was their response? It wasn't a "close" or "good try", all it was, was "well, you're ISU, what do you expect?"
    Well, if you read this forum for any amount of time, you'll find that there is at least one Big Ten school that already holds similar if not worse sentiments for ISU...