Computer warrantys
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 36,722, Level: 59
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,460
    Points
    36,722
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

    Computer warrantys

    Feel free to extend the topic to other warranties as its an interesting subject but heres my question.

    I have a one year old Dell laptop. I bought it from the refurb dept and it came with a one year warranty. I can extend that now for $ 121 - 1 yr, $159-2yr or $186 - three year. I suppose if I'm going to bother I'm going to go more than one year. The real question is should I at all? With the support of folks online (even here) and potential costs of just bringing the thing into the local shop whats the best bet?

    I did have one issue this last year that they fixed (after about 3hrs on the phone over a couple of days). Otherwise the thing is working fine, as far as I can tell. Any thoughts on the cost or benefit to extending the warranty?


    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 649,745, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    25,001
    Points
    649,745
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,554
    Given: 277

    Re: Computer warrantys

    Extended warranties are always worth it



  3. #3
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Computer warrantys

    How much did you buy it for?

    I rarely buy pc's that are all that "loaded". IMO, they are outdated almost by the time they reach your door and you're better off saving that $100+ and consider it a down payment on your next machine.

    Not to mention - and again IMO - things most likely to happen to your laptop (damaged screen and the like) aren't going to be covered on many warranties.

    Short answer - I never buy it.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 72,208, Level: 83
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Bader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    4,454
    Points
    72,208
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 50

    Re: Computer warrantys

    I just had to replace the motherboard on my 2 year old laptop (the video card died).

    I'm glad I've got the extended warranty on mine. I'm certainly not in a position to buy a new compuer right now and my laptop is my only personal machine. Plus if I replaced it I'd just buy another Latitude anyway.

    To each their own, the only reason I bought the extended warranty was for this exact reason. I knew I wouldn't need the extra tech support, but knowning I can get parts replaced if need be definitely came in handy



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 209,812, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,909
    Points
    209,812
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 438
    Given: 646

    Re: Computer warrantys

    How much was the laptop? If it was $700 than that's about 25% of the price.

    Would you pay $5,000 for a 3 year warranty on a $20K car?

    I would say no. I would be more inclined to buy some back-up software like Acronis for $20 and if you end up having software issues just restoring.

    What else goes bad on laptops? Hard drives and batteries.

    I guess it depends how comfortable you feel, who will be using the laptop, how much it costs, etc.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 36,722, Level: 59
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,460
    Points
    36,722
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

    Re: Computer warrantys

    The laptop was about 700 I think. If it was just a hardware and breakage issue I would feel differently but the tech support issue is important I think. Its not really like a car warranty unless that warranty covers oil changes too :)

    I guess the question is whether I should pay 6.60 a month for repair and technical support. I have to admit I don't know what might break on a laptop like this one and I dont know what it does or doesnt cover at this point!

    I think I will add the rust proofing though!


    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 209,812, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,909
    Points
    209,812
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 438
    Given: 646

    Re: Computer warrantys

    BTW-I would never criticize someone for buying a warranty but here is my opinion.

    If warranties weren't such a rip-off you would see everyone at Best Buy trying to shove them down your throat. 99% of the time if you took the money of all the warranties that you paid for and never used you would be better off in the end.

    If it's something that is prone to break like a Yugo or an Xbox 360(RROD) than it's probably wise just not to buy it in the first place.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 209,812, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,909
    Points
    209,812
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 438
    Given: 646

    Re: Computer warrantys

    Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    The laptop was about 700 I think. If it was just a hardware and breakage issue I would feel differently but the tech support issue is important I think. Its not really like a car warranty unless that warranty covers oil changes too :)

    I guess the question is whether I should pay 6.60 a month for repair and technical support. I have to admit I don't know what might break on a laptop like this one and I dont know what it does or doesnt cover at this point!

    I think I will add the rust proofing though!
    It's sounds like it would make you sleep better at night so it's probably worth the money for you.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 72,208, Level: 83
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Bader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    4,454
    Points
    72,208
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 50

    Re: Computer warrantys

    If you're going to buy the Tech Support extension from Dell, I'd strongly suggest getting their Gold Tech Support. This is their "business support" line and you're guaranteed to speak to a North American representative and you're on a different line from everyone else so you won't be waiting for 4 hours to talk to someone.

    Diagnosing a computer issue over the phone with a language barrier is one of the most frustrating things in the world.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 83,378, Level: 89
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,052
    Points
    83,378
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 0

    Re: Computer warrantys

    Quote Originally Posted by Bader View Post
    I just had to replace the motherboard on my 2 year old laptop (the video card died).

    I'm glad I've got the extended warranty on mine. I'm certainly not in a position to buy a new compuer right now and my laptop is my only personal machine. Plus if I replaced it I'd just buy another Latitude anyway.

    To each their own, the only reason I bought the extended warranty was for this exact reason. I knew I wouldn't need the extra tech support, but knowning I can get parts replaced if need be definitely came in handy
    That motherboard replacement would have been cheaper than you think. If you know someone that can work on that then repairs actually become quite reasonable with sites like ebay and newegg. For example, I broke the keyboard for my laptop and it'll cost me about $15 including shipping to replace. A motherboard might run you $50 for a good one plus the cost of someone to put it in (probably around $50 if you find a college kid that enjoys that sort of thing). Still cheaper than any insurance and the likelihood that your MB goes out within a year is pretty small.

    If you don't know anyone you have this wonderful resource that is cyclonefanatic to assist you in your repair needs.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 73,952, Level: 84
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Posts
    6,211
    Points
    73,952
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 14

    Re: Computer warrantys

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    That motherboard replacement would have been cheaper than you think. If you know someone that can work on that then repairs actually become quite reasonable with sites like ebay and newegg. For example, I broke the keyboard for my laptop and it'll cost me about $15 including shipping to replace. A motherboard might run you $50 for a good one plus the cost of someone to put it in (probably around $50 if you find a college kid that enjoys that sort of thing). Still cheaper than any insurance and the likelihood that your MB goes out within a year is pretty small.

    If you don't know anyone you have this wonderful resource that is cyclonefanatic to assist you in your repair needs.
    I would love to know where you find your parts for laptops because those are extremely on the cheap side for a motherboard or a keyboard.

    Oh and to the topic on hand the extended warranties are usually a waste of money.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 54,073, Level: 72
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,477
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    usedcarguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    3,728
    Points
    54,073
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 103

    Re: Computer warrantys

    Warranties (insurance) are for the things which you can't afford to replace out of your own pocket. Beyond that - to each their own.


    Walking on water is easy. Just do it in December when it's frozen.

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 111,109, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    10,105
    Points
    111,109
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 802

    Re: Computer warrantys

    "Shouldn't they call it, in case **** happens?! And if **** doesn't happen, shouldn't you get your money back!?"



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM