Thread: RJ Sumrall

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Hey Jeremy whats the scoop on him? I personally love the guy and hope he gets more catches this year. I believe once Blythe passes hes are go-to guy. Whats your guys opinion?

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    I, too, am a big RJ Sumrall fan. The guy can fly and he made some amazing catches last year. I was at the Mizzou game where he basically leaped over a guy to catch the ball then got drilled while he was above the guys head and somehow hung on to the ball. In my opinion, the best catch of the year...even better than Blythe's one handed catch against A & M or his catch against Colorado (Sumrall's was similar to that one, but better). I'm looking forward to watching our receiving corps over the next few years...and hopefully we can continue to bring in great receivers.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Yeah he needs to get more reps. When the day comes we need him to step he'll probably butterfinger due to lack of experience. We should get him the ball this year a good 30+times.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(goonies_89 &#064; 07&#045;03&#045;06 1&#58;35 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Yeah he needs to get more reps. When the day comes we need him to step he&#39;ll probably butterfinger due to lack of experience. We should get him the ball this year a good 30+times. [/b][/quote]

Whose playing time does he get? Blythe, Flynn, or Davis? Of course with Davis&#39; status up in the air I would imagine Sumrall gets a little more PT.

I like the guy as much as you guys but keep in mind he had 3-4 drops in the bowl game on slants on third down that would have kept the drives alive. He did make one hell of a catch in that game though.

"Not at the table Carlos."

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Hamilton will take some snaps away from someone this fall as well.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    I bet with this good "stable" of receivers we are going to see some more spread formations with 4 and 5 receivers on the field...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tazgolfv &#064; 07&#045;05&#045;06 8&#58;06 am) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Whose playing time does he get? Blythe, Flynn, or Davis? Of course with Davis&#39; status up in the air I would imagine Sumrall gets a little more PT.

I like the guy as much as you guys but keep in mind he had 3-4 drops in the bowl game on slants on third down that would have kept the drives alive. He did make one hell of a catch in that game though.

[/b][/quote]

Starter
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 1
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red Storm &#064; 07&#045;05&#045;06 11&#58;47 am) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> I bet with this good "stable" of receivers we are going to see some more spread formations with 4 and 5 receivers on the field...[/b][/quote]

I&#39;m not sure we&#39;ll see 4 & 5 receiver sets. I think Barney likes to have a TE on the field as a receiver over the middle and Barkema & Nickel are both pretty solid receivers. When Barkema is in he&#39;s almost like a 6th lineman. The only other place a 4th reciever could come from is the RB position and I don&#39;t see Mac leaving the backfield empty and opening up Meyers to blitzes. Hicks has always been good at picking up guys who get through the line.

I would think Mac would try to get Sumrall and Hamilton on the field with the idea of running certain plays to take advantage of their strengths.

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    You do realize don&#39;t you, goonies, that Sumrall had 20 catches last year and that in those 20 catches, he accumulated more yards than Jon Davis did with his 40 catches? He was second on the team in yards per catch behind only Blythe. Not bad for a redshirt frosh. My point is, I think the staff realizes he&#39;s pretty good too. That&#39;s the only way I can explain a redshirt frosh getting so many chances with all the veteran receivers we had/have.

The receiver field will be even more crowded this year with Baum coming back from injury and two freshmen coming in, not to mention Hamilton coming out of his redshirt year. Hard to figure how that adds up to more chances for Sumrall. I would be happy if he got 20-25 again this year.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    sounds good, im looking to eliminate jon davis from the picture

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlanAldaClone &#064; 07&#045;05&#045;06 4&#58;01 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> You do realize don&#39;t you, goonies, that Sumrall had 20 catches last year and that in those 20 catches, he accumulated more yards than Jon Davis did with his 40 catches? He was second on the team in yards per catch behind only Blythe. Not bad for a redshirt frosh. My point is, I think the staff realizes he&#39;s pretty good too. That&#39;s the only way I can explain a redshirt frosh getting so many chances with all the veteran receivers we had/have.

The receiver field will be even more crowded this year with Baum coming back from injury and two freshmen coming in, not to mention Hamilton coming out of his redshirt year. Hard to figure how that adds up to more chances for Sumrall. I would be happy if he got 20-25 again this year.
    [/b][/quote]

I dont think that Baum will be a factor at reciever. Dont get me wrong...hes a good football player and hes a great player for us, but his specialty is special teams, something like 2 -time Special team POY? Before his injury he didnt have much playing time as reciever and I dont think that will change. Even if he did I dont think he would be as productive as Sumrall anyway.

That being said, Baum was one of my favorite players last year and he is an intregal cog, if you will, on the team.

God Bless America