Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 86,675, Level: 91
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 775
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,101
    Points
    86,675
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

    Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    I don't think these things last as long as advertized. Seems like I'm replacing them after 2 years of use instead of 7.

    I read somewhere once that you use the most energy when you turn the bulb on or off. I'm also wondering if the "switch" on turning them on and off might be the weak point of the bulb?

    I'm wondering if you're better off just leaving them run all day instead of turning them on and off when you go in and out of the room?

    Do we have any smart double EE's from ISU who can answer this question?



  2. #2
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    I have yet to replace any of mine.

    As for the costs - there is a touch of a "surge" when turning the light on, but it's nearly undetectable. Watch Mythbusters.

    I believe their conclusion was you could sit there all day, continually turning your light on and off, and it would have a nearly nil effect on your consumption. It certainly didn't come close to justifying leaving a light on.



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 386,311, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,668
    Points
    386,311
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 472
    Given: 316

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    Even 2 years is better than 6 months the traditional ones do. I am yet to replace mine though.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 452,400, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,683
    Points
    452,400
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 34

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    I have replaced probably 20 of them in the last 3 years. They SUCK, and the light they give off is all over the place. Each brand looks totally different so you have bright and dim spots all over your house. I am so glad that regular light bulbs are going to be illegal in a few years.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,615, Level: 73
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    dustinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,635
    Points
    55,615
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I have yet to replace any of mine.

    As for the costs - there is a touch of a "surge" when turning the light on, but it's nearly undetectable. Watch Mythbusters.

    I believe their conclusion was you could sit there all day, continually turning your light on and off, and it would have a nearly nil effect on your consumption. It certainly didn't come close to justifying leaving a light on.
    I don't remember what (if anything) they said about CFLs, but I think for incandescent bulbs they said if you're going to be out of the room for more than five minutes, turn them off.




  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 180,855, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,914
    Points
    180,855
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 108

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I have replaced probably 20 of them in the last 3 years. They SUCK, and the light they give off is all over the place. Each brand looks totally different so you have bright and dim spots all over your house. I am so glad that regular light bulbs are going to be illegal in a few years.

    this^^



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 469,723, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,734
    Points
    469,723
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 377

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    Have yet to change any of mine (slowly installing them as the regular bulbs blow out). My only complaint is it seems that it takes several minutes for them to "warm up" before they're putting out full light, which sucks when it's dark and you need light immediately.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 39,053, Level: 61
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,297
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,957
    Points
    39,053
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 12

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I have replaced probably 20 of them in the last 3 years. They SUCK, and the light they give off is all over the place. Each brand looks totally different so you have bright and dim spots all over your house. I am so glad that regular light bulbs are going to be illegal in a few years.
    They're just like the regular bulbs that way -- look at the package to see that you're buying all the same thing for a fixture. Also, make sure to read the info on the package to see whether it's okay for indoor or outdoor or upside down or whatever. we're so used to buying plain light bulbs, we don't realize the CF ones are different and fit uses differently.

    I have a couple cool white ones in a ceiling fan that glow neon green for a few seconds after you turn it off. Kind of cool. But they don't match the other two in that fixture because I didn't buy enough of one kind.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,615, Level: 73
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    dustinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,635
    Points
    55,615
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms3r4ISU View Post
    They're just like the regular bulbs that way -- look at the package to see that you're buying all the same thing for a fixture. Also, make sure to read the info on the package to see whether it's okay for indoor or outdoor or upside down or whatever. we're so used to buying plain light bulbs, we don't realize the CF ones are different and fit uses differently.

    I have a couple cool white ones in a ceiling fan that glow neon green for a few seconds after you turn it off. Kind of cool. But they don't match the other two in that fixture because I didn't buy enough of one kind.

    But it's so much easier to just ***** and moan about the inconvenience.




  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    You should notice the packages list the "color" that the bulbs give off that can range from a bluer to a reder hue and a whole range in between. That isn't unique to CFL's at all


    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 386,311, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,668
    Points
    386,311
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 472
    Given: 316

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    You should notice the packages list the "color" that the bulbs give off that can range from a bluer to a reder hue and a whole range in between. That isn't unique to CFL's at all
    Never knew this. Guess I should read next time. I happen to like the bulbs. I dont replace them as often. Its a pain sometimes if you want instant light, but over all they give off a nice light in the rooms we use them in.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 29,484, Level: 52
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    abcguyks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Olathe
    Posts
    1,653
    Points
    29,484
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 39

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    Does anyone get bothered by the annoying buzz that some of these CFLs give off? This, poor lighting and the delay from turning the switch to getting needed light are the biggest annoyances to me regarding CFLs. Wife loves them - I don't.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 386,311, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,668
    Points
    386,311
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 472
    Given: 316

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    Quote Originally Posted by abcguyks View Post
    Does anyone get bothered by the annoying buzz that some of these CFLs give off? This, poor lighting and the delay from turning the switch to getting needed light are the biggest annoyances to me regarding CFLs. Wife loves them - I don't.

    Ive never heard a buzz. I have even bought the semi generic ones from Walmart and have had good luck.



  14. #14
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 8,348, Level: 27
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    jl112481's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Franklin, WI
    Posts
    285
    Points
    8,348
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Have yet to change any of mine (slowly installing them as the regular bulbs blow out). My only complaint is it seems that it takes several minutes for them to "warm up" before they're putting out full light, which sucks when it's dark and you need light immediately.
    Most of the bulbs in my house are Sylvannia and they warm up pretty quick and start out pretty bright.

    I bought some more bulb shaped ones for the bathroom fixture and they take longer to warm up. At first my wife hated them. Then I told her that the on thing that I like about them is that they don't kill your eyes in the morning when you turn on the lights. Two weeks later I overheard her talking to a friend that asked what she thought of the CFL's. She replied that she really liked the fact that she could get up in the morning and the light didn't hurt her eyes. Sometimes you have to point out the positive otherwise someone will never see it.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 29,565, Level: 52
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CyPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,508
    Points
    29,565
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Compact Fluoresent Bulbs

    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Even 2 years is better than 6 months the traditional ones do. I am yet to replace mine though.
    I'd like to see the math on that one.

    I have had good luck with the ones that are meant to replace a typical light bulb. I've had horrible luck with the canister light replacements - very short life span. Given the cost of the compact, added to the shorter-than-advertised life span, I wonder if it is worth the purchase.


    “The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it happened.”
    – Norman Thomas, American socialist and six-time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM