Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Officially off suicide watch.....

Thats right, my wife withdrew the suicide warning she had issued about 20 seconds after the game clock expired.......

Okay seriously - i have a few observations regarding our performance and our team as a whole.

1. For Grant Mahoney to say he hit it cleanly and it should not have been blocked is far from the truth. The DL guy didnt have penetration and simply stuck his big ol paw up in the air and blocked it. For me, the biggest problem i have with Grants statement is that he's not taking any responsibility for the block. The trajectory was too low - it gets no simpler then that, man up and say you know what - i screwed up - it happens.

2. Arnaud is taking a ton of abuse right now. I got a few questions for those that are hatin on Arnaud. 1. Has anyone seen even a little bit of separation between our wr and their db's? The best pattern that arnaud throws is not being exploited (AT ALL). Imo some of his best throws are deeper out patterns or flys. Its the shorter in betweens that this offense continues to push towards that hes currently failing at. He has to get better at hitting the open short routes when they're there, but, to not even attempt a deep pass for the entire game falls on the OC - bad game calling. Even if you don't hit it, the defense has to respect it - thus opening up the underneath throws. 2. Name one wide receiver he can rely on to either make the catch or prevent an interception? Right now, the guy emerging into this role is Jake Williams - this kid is becoming a playmaker. Lets not forget that in his 12 games last year, he had 5 in which he had less then a 60% completion mark but only two did he have less then a 100 passer rating. IMO right now, everyone is pointing at Arnaud and for the wide open throws that he should hit, i agree he needs to improve. But, those are few and far between, right now, the position in the greatest need of talent is the wide receiver spot.

3. Game Plan - Two things that were desperately lacking in our game plan... Check downs and Deep patterns. Why does it seem that our QB has zero check downs. In the KSU game, when we were forced to kick the field goal, he looked down field at a crossing pattern i think on a second down play and when it was covered he moved around in the pocket still looking downfield. To me, you look downfield, if its covered you have to have guys as an out. He did, he had Schwartz wide open in the flat and never even looked his way. One way to make the linebacker drops a little shallower is to hit the rb in the flat a couple of times, they will not float back as much. Especially with AROB, i cannot figure out why we dont hit him on more flares to get him one on one in space. See item #4 for the second aspect to this game plan...

4. NO RESPECT.....i could not believe that our offense did not take advantage of the KSU defense....they absolutely gave our offense no respect all game long at hitting a pass play longer then 7 yards. They had both safeties within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage the entire game (except third and long and then they only went to 12 yards off the line). We never even attempted to make them pay for this aggressive nature of stopping the run. Why not run a tight end right at that safety and have a wr over the top make them commit to something and take advantage.

5. Tom Herman - i'm a huge fan of his and his offense. But, the positive adjustments he's made in the first few games failed miserably on saturday. The inability to attack a defense thats showing you the look, they told isu, we will not allow you to run on them and what did we do, continue to run on first and second down and then try to pass on third....that leaves Arnaud in a bad spot as well. I love a good running team, and thus far its been the running thats set up the passing. But, on saturday, we should have adjusted our offensive scheme and geared it at least for a series or two to going after them rather then allowing them to creep two safeties up to the line of scrimmage thus forcing a third and long....it was simple and we didnt adjust....one other thing, why do we look to the sidelines when they never change the play.....i hated that with McFarlands offense and i'm beginning to hate it with Hermans offense......

6. Defense - First off we have to give this group some serious love. They have come out and performed so well, considering everyone on here leading up to the season was blasting the defense and praising the offense, this defense is living up to my predictions of finishing in the top 60 for overall defense. But, i failed miserable as well because i felt that Herman and his system was going to drastically improve on our offensive stats. So far, thats just not happening. This defense is doing this without applying a tremendous amount of pressure. Without Parker its even worse.....I'm not sure why Lyle dove at the qb rather then staying upright and chasing on the third down play where they connected on the td play to the corner. And on the long touchdown play, it was smith getting toasted again....always looking for a big hit, just wrap up and make the tackle....

7. Success/Failure - the hump that Rhoads needs to conquer with this group is learning how to win, how to make big plays both offensively or defensively to win a game. With saturdays loss, we gave up a huge play and then after the offense comes to life and everyone is on cloud nine its burst with the inability to make the play. This team needs to learn how to win!!! How do you teach that???? I'm sure this loss took a lot out of the team, how they rebound on saturday against KU will be huge....will they roll over or will they fight????? We lost a game that we could have won, now its time to go out and get one that we shouldnt win.....thats how you turn the corner with a team.....

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,212
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 0

Re: Officially off suicide watch.....

Nice post.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 15

1. You need to rewatch the kick. Both Mahoney and Schmidgall did excellent jobs. The line did a terrible job, and the snap was not exactly good. Props to Schmidgall for getting it down. And KSU did too get pressure. They pinched everyone into the middle and sent 11 guys at our middle 5 and the dude who blocked it was at the line of scrimmage when he jumped.

2. Um, we did try and take shots down field. Not sure what game you were watching. 1 should've EASILY been picked but the KSU free safety dropped it. The TD pass wasn't exactly a short pattern (also should've been picked).

3. Most spread passing attacks revolve around a quick read. You get 2 defenders covering 3 receivers, and throw to the appropriate receiver after they all break. And you honestly think teams aren't keying on A-Rob?

4. When your receivers get 0 separation, there is no reason for them to back off. Our receivers get no separation, the safeties are just there for looks.

5. They change the play a lot more than you think. They aren't necessarily even changing the play, they can be changing what one player is doing.

6. The TD pass to Banks was NOT on Smith. Any team with a defensive line makes that sack. Big hit? He was chasing Brandon Banks, so you're wrong there. Banks made a great read breaking off his route and going to the middle and Smith didn't get turned fast enough and Banks was already by. Not quite sure why Sims essentially stopped when Smith dove after Banks, but he did and Banks went in. We won't have a top 60 defense if we can't figure out how to get pressure without having to send 7. We haven't faced any remotely decent offenses yet.

7. We gave up more than 1 big play Saturday. We gave up 2 HUGE touchdowns that were easily preventable, as well as some boneheaded penalties that enabled them to either continue drives, or establish better field position.

Last edited by IcSyU; 10-05-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    T

1. For Grant Mahoney The trajectory was too low - it gets no simpler then that, man up and say you know what - i screwed up - it happens.

Thanks, I've been meaning to ask the opinion of somebody who attended the game for a description of the block and whether it was a problem with the OL, or the trajectory.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    6. The TD pass to Banks was NOT on Smith. Any team with a defensive line makes that sack. Big hit? He was chasing Brandon Banks, so you're wrong there. Banks made a great read breaking off his route and going to the middle and Smith didn't get turned fast enough and Banks was already by. Not quite sure why Sims essentially stopped when Smith dove after Banks, but he did and Banks went in. We won't have a top 60 defense if we can't figure out how to get pressure without having to send 7. We haven't faced any remotely decent offenses yet.
    Sims was covering Banks, not JS, and almost made a great play breaking it up. Smith screwed up big time, looking like a junior high DB the way he attempted to bring down Banks after Sims wiffed. Senior Safety James Smith has to make that tackle right there. If he does, it's first and 10 inside the 20 and our D still has a chance.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    Sims was covering Banks, not JS, and almost made a great play breaking it up. Smith screwed up big time, looking like a junior high DB the way he attempted to bring down Banks after Sims wiffed. Senior Safety James Smith has to make that tackle right there. If he does, it's first and 10 inside the 20 and our D still has a chance.
    I screwed up, however I do know someone wiffed on the original tackle after Banks caught it, and the other safety that was back there stopped as soon as the other safety dove at his legs instead of continuing to run into the collision that would've happened.

Pro
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    Exactly!!!!!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,548
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 76

AA short hopped several passes to wide open short route receivers. I was in the 4th row, they were wide open and he just missed.

John Walters is my hero

Pro
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

1. You need to rewatch the kick. Both Mahoney and Schmidgall did excellent jobs. The line did a terrible job, and the snap was not exactly good. Props to Schmidgall for getting it down. And KSU did too get pressure. They pinched everyone into the middle and sent 11 guys at our middle 5 and the dude who blocked it was at the line of scrimmage when he jumped.

2. Um, we did try and take shots down field. Not sure what game you were watching. 1 should've EASILY been picked but the KSU free safety dropped it. The TD pass wasn't exactly a short pattern (also should've been picked).

3. Most spread passing attacks revolve around a quick read. You get 2 defenders covering 3 receivers, and throw to the appropriate receiver after they all break. And you honestly think teams aren't keying on A-Rob?

4. When your receivers get 0 separation, there is no reason for them to back off. Our receivers get no separation, the safeties are just there for looks.

5. They change the play a lot more than you think. They aren't necessarily even changing the play, they can be changing what one player is doing.

7. We gave up more than 1 big play Saturday. We gave up 2 HUGE touchdowns that were easily preventable, as well as some boneheaded penalties that enabled them to either continue drives, or establish better field position.
    1. Take a look at this picture...then tell me what you think..its impossible that they sent 11 guys when 2 are standing on this side of the line of scrimmage not even in the play and i would venture to say the same look on the other side as well preventing a fake and 2 pt conversion!!!!

2. Actually not sure what game you watched.....if you only try two passes downfield - i would ask - why cover it....and one was out of necessity considering it was with 30 seconds left in the game!!!!!! And what was it, a great pass and catch - oh yeah and a touchdown......and it wasnt nearly picked, the only guy that makes a play on that ball was Williams....

3. Agree on quick reads - its not hard to read what a safety is doing, but the qb should always have an out......Our rb could help in the passing game a lot more is all i'm saying....this would help the te a lot because those lb drops shallow up a lot when a rb starts making receptions....

4. Agreed....

5. Its amazing they change the play, because i would think someone would realign or that arnaud would walk down the line changing a coverage or assignment, but that never happens which leads me to believe that nothing is changing - but i could be wrong. And if i am, then shame on us for running into 9 man fronts!!!!!

6. Sims had coverage, and they made a great pass and catch no doubt...but, as based on the photo, when smith let up and then tried to make a tackle that little gitterbug was gone......bad play, should have made the tackle....as was the case last year, Smith is not the best tackling safety, he trys to make big hits instead of wrap up tackles that give u another chance to defend....

7. Agreed.....other play was a throw and a prayer....and they came down with it because our Banks was all turned around and made no play on the ball....if you dont recognize by now that opposing teams know who to throw at and who not to throw at your vastly underestimating the opponent.......Banks gets picked on because fundamentally he is not a good coverage guy....and that pains me to say because im a huge Banks fan, i thought he was going to be a difference maker.....the difference maker on defense thus far has been Sims and then Benton in my opinion....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KSUISU_SP_100309_MLR_13152F2.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	6035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KSUISU_SP_100309_MLR_13936F.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	6036  

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 343
    Given: 268

His feet were tsangled uop when he threw. He might have to pull up and just toss it from now on. He is a better runner than thrower.Poor man's version of Rothesliberger.

He did fake a pass the other direction one time and it created openings. looks to me like he is too robotic and this fast paced game is still a little too much for him. His delivery can be slow and allows defenders to get positions. Maybe near the end of next season he will look more comfortable.

The two Other receivers. They look physically weak and not wanting the ball very bad. Hard to explain. Yes, we have only have three receivers now. We ned mroe Austin Flynns and Todd Blyths.

If ARob is hampered with his groin all year and Money is done, we do not have very many offensive weapons to have a gamebreaker. Games will take forever...Bo Williams looked pretty good except that he did not know where he should be.

JT looks like he needs a lot of practice running a team, although he is a better runner and better thrower. I can see why he is not on the field since he needs to get the feel of the ****** much more.

I sympathize with Tom Herman. We are in the conference and it looks like pre season for our offense.

This puts extra pressure on our defense.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

6. Defense - I'm not sure why Lyle dove at the qb rather then staying upright and chasing on the third down play where they connected on the td play to the corner. And on the long touchdown play, it was smith getting toasted again....always looking for a big hit, just wrap up and make the tackle.........
    Smith fell down on the one td pass and on Banks reception for some reason he pulled up and then made a half-*** attempt to tackle the guy. Not good in my opinion.

I for one say Mahoney's kick was kinda low, but the guy who blocked it was skying. Great block more than a bad kick.

"The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I think you may have made Grants point with that pic...

I was on the 10 yard line right in front of the play and originally agreed that the trajectory was too low, but after looking at that pic you have to give the play to Kstate. The guy blocking the kick is at least 10.5 feet in the air!

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

2. Actually not sure what game you watched.....if you only try two passes downfield - i would ask - why cover it....and one was out of necessity considering it was with 30 seconds left in the game!!!!!! And what was it, a great pass and catch - oh yeah and a touchdown......and it wasnt nearly picked, the only guy that makes a play on that ball was Williams....
    The two deep balls we threw that come to mind both should have been picked. The FS let them both go through his hands. The TD pass literally went through his hands. He hit the ball right into Williams' hands. The other deep one we threw that came to mind hung up in the air forever and went through the FS hands.

3. Agree on quick reads - its not hard to read what a safety is doing, but the qb should always have an out......Our rb could help in the passing game a lot more is all i'm saying....this would help the te a lot because those lb drops shallow up a lot when a rb starts making receptions....
    Our line has played well, but the running backs have done an EXCELLENT job picking up blitzes. That's why they're back there or Arnaud would be getting lit occasionally. The play Schwartz went down in the backfield he stuck the outside linebacker or nickelback coming around the corner.

5. Its amazing they change the play, because i would think someone would realign or that arnaud would walk down the line changing a coverage or assignment, but that never happens which leads me to believe that nothing is changing - but i could be wrong. And if i am, then shame on us for running into 9 man fronts!!!!!
    When they do stuff like that, the only time Arnaud will move is if they change the O-line's blocking scheme. The receivers and backs have their own set of instructions. You can tell when they change it because they look at their wrist playbooks or the one hanging from their waist.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

If you watch the game again, they gave us a camera shot right behind the defense on that last kick. Mahoney's kick was fine. There was no penetration and the guy who got the block, #23, was standing behind his own tackle when he jumped. He made a tremendous leap that was timed just right. Got to give #23 credit for a one in a million play that hurt us.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

1. Take a look at this picture...then tell me what you think..its impossible that they sent 11 guys when 2 are standing on this side of the line of scrimmage not even in the play and i would venture to say the same look on the other side as well preventing a fake and 2 pt conversion!!!!

4. Agreed....

6. Sims had coverage, and they made a great pass and catch no doubt...but, as based on the photo, when smith let up and then tried to make a tackle that little gitterbug was gone......bad play, should have made the tackle....as was the case last year, Smith is not the best tackling safety, he trys to make big hits instead of wrap up tackles that give u another chance to defend....

7. Agreed.....other play was a throw and a prayer....and they came down with it because our Banks was all turned around and made no play on the ball....if you dont recognize by now that opposing teams know who to throw at and who not to throw at your vastly underestimating the opponent.......Banks gets picked on because fundamentally he is not a good coverage guy....and that pains me to say because im a huge Banks fan, i thought he was going to be a difference maker.....the difference maker on defense thus far has been Sims and then Benton in my opinion....
    Banks got an INT in this game.