Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 112

New Dan Brown Book - The Lost Symbol

Just finished it. It is the third installment of the Robert Langdon series (Angels and Demons & The DaVinci Code). Basically follows the same plot line as the other two- Some one gets hurt or killed, Robert is called in to solve a bunch of symbols and occult themed mysteries and clues which eventually leads to them uncovering some huge secret society secret that will ruin the way people look at religion if it is in fact released.

The secret society: Freemasons

Basic plot: One of the top and most wealthy Masons is kidnapped and will be killed unless Langdon solves a Mason secret that has been protected for hundreds of years.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good book. A really quick read (read it in 4 days) at only 500 some pages. It took about 100 pages to really get the characters and plot set up and then the next 350 were real exciting with the last 50 actually being pretty disappointing IMO. The final out come was pretty blah compared to the last two books and the other books that Brown has written.

I would wait till it comes out on paperback before you run out and snag this one. That or check it out from the library for free!

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: New Dan Brown Book - The Lost Symbol

Thanks for the info. I've been a fan of Brown's books, and I'm sure I'll read this one, too.

I read another review that was pretty similar to yours: follows the the same formula as the others, but isn't quite as good.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 48

Loved the previous two books so I want to pick this one up too since my company downsized and I now find myself with a lot of free time....a LOT of free time.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,562
    Given: 751

I picked up this one, and I'm about halfway through. I wasn't looking for it to be the next classic American novel, though I did really look forward to the next installment in the series. So far, it's done what I hoped it would do- it gave me something to read that's kept my attention, and made me want to pick it up again the next day.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

I'm about halfway through as well... pretty good read so far. What I love about his books is that they always get me thinking. I credit Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code for getting me to think outside the "religious" box.

And even though he often bends the historical accuracy of his stories to a breaking point, I still like his insight on some of history's most famous paintings and landmarks. I wish I had a professor like Robert Langdon. Although, I guess he'd always be getting subs for his courses because he's off putting his life in mortal peril in Rome or Washington, DC.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Recruit
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Good read. Recommend it.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I can't even think of his books without thinking about how absolutely horrid Tom Hanks fake-hair was in the first movie. Blech.
    How many times does Dan say "feminine" or "masculine" in the lastest book?
    I actually like his books and they are thought provoking....but they shouldn't change your religion. I think it is more of a commentary on American education that most Americans don't understand the Council and Nicea and the evolution of the Church. It is no secret. It doesn't take Einstien/Newton to be a dissenting doubting Thomas all the time....some times you gotta have Faith, faith, faith (George Michael, circa 1990).

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 112

Quote Originally Posted by Shinyhappyclone View Post
    I can't even think of his books without thinking about how absolutely horrid Tom Hanks fake-hair was in the first movie. Blech.
    How many times does Dan say "feminine" or "masculine" in the lastest book?
    I actually like his books and they are thought provoking....but they shouldn't change your religion. I think it is more of a commentary on American education that most Americans don't understand the Council and Nicea and the evolution of the Church. It is no secret. It doesn't take Einstien/Newton to be a dissenting doubting Thomas all the time....some times you gotta have Faith, faith, faith (George Michael, circa 1990).
    I dont recall him saying either of those in the new book. This book is not about statues and paintings, its about symbols and the Masons. I actually thought that Langdon played more of a "supporting actor" role in this book. He almost seemed to have no knowledge about a lot of the stuff, it was mostly other characters explaining stuff to him and then him looking back on his teachings to find connections.