Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 2

Some thoughts after some rest

1) I was really thinking my first post after the game yesterday was going to be something like: It will be interesting to see how important forcing KSU's fumble on their (almost) second scoring drive. That's the type of play that we might look back on five years from now and say how that play changed the direction of a program. Instead of being down 14-0, it's 7-3 and we go on to win. Damn, I wish I could have posted that.

2) I really feel for the kids this morning. We all like to get invested in Cyclone sports, but we're not up at 5:30 am running, lifting weights, watching film, doing individual drills, and practicing practically all year round like the young men that saw a blocked pat snag a chance at victory from their grasp invest. That's a tough one, and I hope they can bounce back next week.

3) The big 12 north isn't very good. That's a positive this year in that we're still not out of the bowl possibilities. After what Southern Miss did today, there's no reason to think we can't beat any team in the north outside of Missouri and Nebraska. Add to that that Baylor is a shadow of itself without Griffin and aTm was embarrassed on national tv last night, and ISU still has a legit chance to go bowling yet this year.

4) We have a very good offensive line. I wouldn't have believed it heading into this year, but they are getting the job done. When you have a good offensive line, you've always got a shot to put points on the board. As well as the defense has been playing, I think the offense (AA) will put it together before the year is out, and we'll see a performance like second half UNLV.

5) I've seen plenty of posts and gotten calls from friends that have said they're done. Of course they were done after Kansas a few years ago and then after Missouri, but this isn't the time to give up. ISU football is teetering. We can't afford to lose any fan whether it's a 60 year commitment or 1 year newbie. We need support for the kids at Jack this year to get the wins needed to move the program forward. If we lose out and then look at the daunting schedules of the next couple of years, it gets a little worriesome. So, don't close the door on this year. We need a strong finish!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Some thoughts after some rest

Finally, something positive this morning! I'm down after yesterday like everyone else, but I'm getting tired of the posts from the usual suspects preaching about how ISU sucks and always will. Honestly, if that's what you think, what are you doing on here?

Before the season, I figured this team with a whole new coaching staff was looking at about 4 - 5 wins based on the schedule. Picking up 3 during the non-conference was great, and with at least a couple winnable games still on the schedule, we can still equal our win total for the last TWO seasons combined. Sad fact, but true.

We need the passing game to improve, and we need A-Rob to get healthier, but this season is not over yet.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

as my 7th grade bball coach once said, "you make your own breaks." there were 4-5 plays where their guys made the plays and we did not. its as simple as that. not much we can do about it. frankly, the missed pat was not the biggest missed opportunity of the day.

Honor Before Victory

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,316
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 4

The Big 12 North isn't very good, so I feel like we at least have a fighting chance the rest of the way. Any conference game is going to be hard though, so I don't know.

Two things I'm hoping for the rest of the way: end the conference road losing streak and a marquee win. It's a lot to ask but would give us some positive feelings heading into the off-season if a bowl game is not possible. Two possibilities that would qualify as marquee: Nebraska in Memorial Stadium or Oklahoma State in Jack Trice.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I just don't understand how anyone can be upset about yesterday's lost. The passing game struggled once more, but not unexpected. And when it needed to come through it prevailed with a bit of luck. The running game wasn't as magical with Schwartz in there, but we still managed to gain a 17-10 lead with what we were doing. And to loose the game the way we did meant that K-State had to make a play to stop us, that's a pretty good feeling in my book. Unfortunately they made the play. It wasn't the matter of us screwing something up - or them stomping over us, it required one of the most overlooked units of football to step up and deny our kicker the opportunity to tie the game. The kicked looked good, the player just got high enough and his hand in the right place to make the play.

I must be the only one that is optimistic and relieved to see this kind of effort from our players. Sure there are some areas that I wouldn't mind seeing polished a bit more, but it is college football, not everything will be perfect. Our coaches took a core group of kids who last year managed a 2-10 record and have disciplined them into some sound football. Now I do think it's the matter of getting the talent on the field. We were close to 4-1 yesterday - a much greater achievement that anyone could have hoped for last year.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 967
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    5) I've seen plenty of posts and gotten calls from friends that have said they're done. Of course they were done after Kansas a few years ago and then after Missouri, but this isn't the time to give up. ISU football is teetering. We can't afford to lose any fan whether it's a 60 year commitment or 1 year newbie. We need support for the kids at Jack this year to get the wins needed to move the program forward. If we lose out and then look at the daunting schedules of the next couple of years, it gets a little worriesome. So, don't close the door on this year. We need a strong finish!
    Everyone is always "done" after a game like this. Winning brings it back around. I honestly am encouraged by this team. I said before the season started that 4 wins was my expectation, and we are 1 win away from that. How can anyone say we're done when we have Colorado and Baylor at home yet, with no one on our schedule being what I would call un-beatable (except for maybe Okie State).

I just expect 1 more win, that would put Rhoads tied with Chizik for Big 12 wins, and only 1 win less than him and he does/did it with Chizik's recruits under a new system!

Yep, this thread has just been pwned.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    I just don't understand how anyone can be upset about yesterday's lost.

I must be the only one that is optimistic and relieved to see this kind of effort from our players.
    Maybe some of us dont like to lose.

Those players need to step up at somepoint and make a big play. A few did but more need to step up and add something.

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,316
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by rhillary View Post
    I just expect 1 more win, that would put Rhoads tied with Chizik for Big 12 wins, and only 1 win less than him and he does/did it with Chizik's recruits under a new system!
    Chizik had 2 Big 12 wins.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Maybe some of us dont like to lose.

Those players need to step up at somepoint and make a big play. A few did but more need to step up and add something.
    And then there are those that don't quit.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rhillary View Post
    Everyone is always "done" after a game like this. Winning brings it back around. I honestly am encouraged by this team. I said before the season started that 4 wins was my expectation, and we are 1 win away from that. How can anyone say we're done when we have Colorado and Baylor at home yet, with no one on our schedule being what I would call un-beatable (except for maybe Okie State).

Nobody but Okie State is unbeatable? Give me a break. Just to put things in perspective:

Louisiana-Lafayette 17
    Kansas State 15

Kansas State 24
    Iowa State 23

Nebraska 55
    Louisiana-Lafayette 0

I wouldn't put too much energy into thinking you might win in Lincoln.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 298
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174

Quote Originally Posted by CJDelmonico View Post
    Nobody but Okie State is unbeatable? Give me a break. Just to put things in perspective:

Louisiana-Lafayette 17
    Kansas State 15

Kansas State 24
    Iowa State 23

Nebraska 55
    Louisiana-Lafayette 0

I wouldn't put too much energy into thinking you might win in Lincoln.
    Couple more numbers for you.

ND - 37
    Wash - 30

Wash -16
    USC - 13

So I assume since you like that numbers game that you will be putting everything you have on ND to beat USC? I'm not saying that ISU will beat Neb but lets not use that BS logic.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 107

10-02-2009, 10:44 AM #11Psyclone Brian
    Starter

Re: The Breakdown: Iowa State vs. Kansas State
    ISU 27
    KSU 24

Darn near had it picked!

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,868
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 69

I think any of the games are winable. Our defense is playing much better. The offense just need to click and games like these will be wins.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 32

Thoughts after re-watching it:
    1. Defense HAS to finish plays. Finishing two plays takes 11 points off the board (QB was surrounded on the Banks 55 yard TD pass as well as the 3rd and goal pass from the 16 and we did an awful job finishing the plays)

2. Our linebackers are reallllly bad about focusing solely on the QB in a passing zone and standing flat footed watching his eyes. They need to watch who is coming across zones and float a little bit with it so we don't give up 35 yard passes up the middle where 25 is YAC.

3. Avoid stupid penalties. While the pass interference was an AWFUL call, we have to avoid giving up 15 yards every possession because of a stupid penalty. Nearly all of our penalties are something that could've easily been avoided yesterday.

4. We need A-Rob. Bad. A healthy A-Rob has a couple HUGE runs yesterday. I honestly think A-Rob yesterday would've pushed 200 yards on the ground.

5. Offensive line: Excellent job. Great at creating holes, Schwartz just isn't fast enough to accelerate through.

6. Defensive line: Needs a lot work. Period. Did a good job defending the run after the first possession, but the pass pressure when we don't send a blitz is absolutely **** poor.

7. Defensive backs: Free safety: No one gets behind you. Banks had a good 3 yards on our nearest defender until he had to slow down to catch the ball on his TD catch. Much better job tackling out of our secondary thus far this season.

8. Receivers need to catch the ball with their HANDS and not try to use their PADS. Austen put a couple of those passes exactly where they needed to be yesterday only to have them dropped. Quit trying to stop in one step and falling down. It's happened every week and none of the receivers have learned anything. Excellent job out of the receivers blocking on running plays as well as bubble screens.

9. Protect the football. Catlett's? fumble was just a helmet put right on the ball, not a lot you can do about that. Arnaud needs to tuck the ball tight when he rushes. His fumble it looks like the guy just pulls his arm away from his body and it pops out.

In summary, the defense played well enough to win, but you can't give up huge plays and win football games. The offense, especially the receivers, need to get their **** together. Special teams were good on all but one play.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Big 12 north sucks and ISU does have a chance to be on the top in a couple of years!!