Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 364

ISU to open Hilton or JTS for fans to watch the Nebraska game

Ok...not really...but hear me out.

Nebraska sells their games out all the time. All we get is our small allotment and that's it.

Pollard announces that he's opening either Hilton or JTS for fans to watch the game together. It's only $5-10 bucks to get in. concessions will be sold and maybe even beer (speculation on that as I don't know the rules). As with home games, lots open 6 hours before the game for tailgating.

Game starts and thousands of fans pour into the stadium/arena. The game is displayed on big screens in various locations. Some of the cheerleaders are there to lead the fans.

During the game the announcers say something sour about ISU....

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Halftime is filled with some sort of entertainment - small concert, former ISU player football/basketball game, etc.

Late in the game...we're down by 4. Meyer leads ISU on an 80 yard drive capped by a 13 yard TD pass to Blythe.

(pandemonium ensues)

It's an afternoon game and the team is slated to return to Ames immediately after the game. Fans remain in Ames - tailgating and awaiting the team's return in a reception and celebration.

You're telling me...you'd pass that up (or the vast majority in the central Iowa area) to watch the game on TV at your house, a buddy's house or a bar?

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 396

Re: ISU to open Hilton or JTS for fans to watch the Nebraska game

I like the idea. It would 100% depend on the weather. If it was nice, I could see a good turnout. If not, then not many will show up is my guess.

But as has been discussed...if this game is on ABC, the University would need special permission to broadcast the game to a mass audience. I have no idea if that's difficult to obtain but I know it would have to be done.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I watched the Texas game a few years ago, right before the men's and women's basketball kickoff. I loved it. You don't even need to charge admission, just have a few of the concession stands running.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,323
    Given: 272

Not a bad idea, but if I were to tailgate all day, I would bring a TV with me and more than likley just watch the game in the tailgate lots so I could keep drinking (which I am assuming most people with a TV and antena would do)! Either way, I would think you would need to have some reason to open the tailgate lots, and a game watch like this would be a good way.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would be willing to pay $10 or $15 to get in and another $10 for parking to tailgate and ISU could make enough to make it worth it and generate some more excitement with the game. I love the idea and say pass this on to Pollard or even draw up a petition and have a bunch of us sign it to send on to Pollard.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,172
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Ok...not really...but hear me out.

Nebraska sells their games out all the time. All we get is our small allotment and that's it.

Pollard announces that he's opening either Hilton or JTS for fans to watch the game together. It's only $5-10 bucks to get in. concessions will be sold and maybe even beer (speculation on that as I don't know the rules). As with home games, lots open 6 hours before the game for tailgating.

Game starts and thousands of fans pour into the stadium/arena. The game is displayed on big screens in various locations. Some of the cheerleaders are there to lead the fans.

During the game the announcers say something sour about ISU....

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Halftime is filled with some sort of entertainment - small concert, former ISU player football/basketball game, etc.

Late in the game...we're down by 4. Meyer leads ISU on an 80 yard drive capped by a 13 yard TD pass to Blythe.

(pandemonium ensues)

It's an afternoon game and the team is slated to return to Ames immediately after the game. Fans remain in Ames - tailgating and awaiting the team's return in a reception and celebration.

You're telling me...you'd pass that up (or the vast majority in the central Iowa area) to watch the game on TV at your house, a buddy's house or a bar?
    I definately wouldn't make the 2-hour drive just for this. If there is something else going on that I would be in town for, then maybe. If I lived closer, I might do it.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,106
    Given: 927

I wouldn't pay too much for it when I can get a bunch of buddies over, actually drink beer and watch for free at home. But if everything was lined up and it wasn't too expensive, I'm there.

@RandomGeoFacts

Starter
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I personally wouldn't spend money to go sit and watch the game on TV. I would be much more comfortable at home. I think most college kids would rather watch at their own place. Spending money on beer and food at Hilton or JTS would get really expensive. That is just my opinion though. I think if enough people would do it, it would be pretty cool but don't count me as one.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I think these ideas are a bit ridiculous. What Iowa wants to do is their business, but if what they are doing sets off a chain of events it will not benefit the NCAA and college athletics in general. It would be a different story if it was a bowl game, or a game played in Hawaii. These events are set up to sabotage the home university, it seems a big smug if people are unwilling to make a trip to experience another culture of college athletics. It is also unfair to those who do make the trip when they are outnumbered even moreso than they already would be.

I wasn't a fan of the price tag that JP put on the Iowa game. I know the tickets will sell, but 90 looks alot more like 100 than 80 or 75. is $40,000 really worth this? Honestly its for a good cause, its not like we are trying to keep Iowa out, we just need the funds to advance our program which eventually benefits both Iowa and ISU. But at this cost it might not be worth it.

Iowa fans can say what they want. For the ones who have access to the tickets they will be bought. If the fans don't come to the games to tailgate it will anger the donors. If the fans want to cry foul and think they can schedule a more marquee opponent, let them. As if the chances of Texas, Florida, or USC were bad enough (losing to iowa = no national title, winning against iowa = umm... great..) If I was the AD from any of these schools and I saw that they pulled these types of stunts to keep their fans at home guess how much I would be willing to schedule them? Bowl selection committee's will look at this as well and it might be an overall step back for the program. Let them do as they please.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

psh yeah right... ill be a speck of yellow in the big reds gut of memorial stadium.. i was the only clone fan on my side of the stadium 2 years ago pretty much.. might i add Husker fans are rude as hell

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Depends on your experience. The only time I have been to a game I sat in the student section and everyone was extremely nice. Add to the fact that there was an idiot husker fan who drew the attention away from me that everyone was ragging on.
    You shouldn't be suprised in being the only cyclone fan on your side of the stadium. A Huskers ticket is worth its weight in diamonds over there. It is nice to see the ISU/UN game is becoming a more marquee matchup, even for them.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

they didnt like me standing up and cheering on the cyclones when we were driving to score.And everyone knows that was a tense game.. i was sweatin bullits the whole time because i wanted to walk out of there a winner.. Instead i walked back in disgrace through a doner parking lot where a former ISU tight end some how got into and he offered me some food because i looked like i was feeling a little down.. Haha. made me feel better. There were probably 2 nice people over by me... i jumped up when RJ sumrall was making a run towards the endzone and when he got taken down by the laces i had paper and **** thrown at me saying, he didnt make it *******... oh well, makes it all the sweeter to be at home

Rookie
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 7

This was done once before in Hilton. I think it was for the 1985 (?) team that was the first ISU basketball team in 41 years to make the NCAA tournament. They put a big screen on the court of Hilton and then let everyone in for a couple of bucks. They even served beers during the game! My fading memory recalls 3,000 or 4,000 people there.

Any other "old-timers" who remember an event like this?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

First of all I can guarantee that no alcohol would be sold at any event like this.

These types of events are never attended very heavily because most people would prefer to watch in a more comfortable setting (home, favorite bar, etc.).

The only way you get a decent crowd for something like this is if it is the only viewing option (meaning you can't see the game anywhere else).

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.