High School Hoops Hardwood Picks for Tonight (long)
    Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 719
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 67

High School Hoops Hardwood Picks for Tonight (long)

That's right sports fans, it is time once again for your stone cold locks of the week in high school hoops action. There are several great match-ups tonight, so the committee has selected just a few for your reading enjoyment.

Ballard vs. Nevada-
    This fierce rivalry squares off in 3A tourney action tonight at Nevada. This is also the site of a huge upset earlier in the year, as the Cubs knocked off the Bombers. The Bombers went on quite a tear following their defeat in N-town, but have since cooled off. If a person would just look at the game on paper, the line would be -25 for Ballard, but this is one of those big rivalry games, it's tourney time, and it's in Nevada. Therefore, this sportswriter is predicting a game that ends up tighter than Brian Boddicker trying to make a game tying free throw at Hilton.
    Ballard 63 Nevada 62

West Marshall vs. Pella Christian-
    Game 2 in our high school extravaganza kicks off at 7 pm in Saydel. It should be a good neutral site showdown for the 2A district 13 title. The casual fan would guess that PC would walk away with this one, but that fan would probably not be aware of the W-M backcourt. The Trojans feature 3-4 guards that are talented and could go off on any given night from the outside. If they are able to get hot, this one could be a barn burner. If they are cold, they might feel like Marathon Oil coming in for a "regular season game" during the early 90s. I predict a combination, with W-M's guards heating it up in the first half to keep it close, but the PC Super-sophs pulling it out in the 4th.
    PC 81 WM 72

South Hamilton vs. Fort Dodge St. Edmund-
    Our game 3 showdown will be getting started in front of a packed house in Boone at 7 pm. This game features another rematch from earlier in the season. In my humble opinion I believe this one could be the best game of the bunch, as St. Eds won the regular season battle, but South Hamilton has been red hot as of late. If the Gaels overlook them I'd give the nod to SH, although I don't think Coach K would let that happen. At any rate, it's tough to beat a great team twice, and at this point in the season S-H is looking great. In a game for the ages, I'm going with my gut for this upset special.
    SH 58 St. Eds 56

Montezuma vs. Van Buren-
    This is a game that will have Native Americans everywhere screaming "foul!". However, when the Braves and the Warriors get together, throw out the records. This should be one heck of a 2A battle that that will commence at 7 pm at Fairfield High School. Montezuma is 20-3, while Van Buren has lost only 5 games on the year. It will be interesting to see if the Braves braun can match the Warriors all around athleticism. Both teams are well coached, and this one should be a fantastic one to watch, and you just may have the unique opportunity to hear the "chop shop" radiating from both sides of the gym tonight. My apologies to any Natives that would be offended from this.
    Braves 63 Van Buren 60

Well sports fans, that's it for tonight. It looks to be a wonderful night of high school basketball. So for anybody looking for some good entertainment or just a warm place to go hang out, hit up one of these games in your area and sit back, relax and enjoy the show. Until next time, this is Tigershoops31 signing off.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 1

Re: High School Hoops Hardwood Picks for Tonight (long)

So Nevada beats Ballard twice, the second of which was a home game, and it was an upset? Not to mention they have a much better record. This game however certainly is a toss-up.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    So Nevada beats Ballard twice, the second of which was a home game, and it was an upset? Not to mention they have a much better record. This game however certainly is a toss-up.
    My apologies...I did not check season scores before writing that up. You are correct, Nevada won both regular season games and their record is 2 games better. I was just going off of seeing a lot of both teams in the summer, watching each team play once during the season, and what I'd heard from other coaches about each team. After checking the scores/records I would definitely stand by my final score prediction, but not the part about Ballard being heavily favored. Hope nobody went out after reading this and pounded Ballard with their bookie

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 1

Quite alright. It is an intriguing matchup. I haven't seen Ballard play since both Truby and Spielman (mid-season transfer from Storm Lake) have been playing together. If Ballard plays both of them at the same time too much they will either have major matchup problems or forced to not play Jensen, Ballard's best shooter. I would say the likely score wouldn't get quite that high either, more like low 50s or lower. On a sidenote, this is just another instance of Ballard somehow brining in an out-of-towner to play basketball. After last year's girls team had a couple of fishy situations. If the Spielman's kid dad somehow works for the Jensen family red flags should be raised.

Recruit
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Hampton-Dumont taking on North Butler in Clear Lake. North Butler won the first game by 1 after HD missed a last second shot. The Bulldogs are much improved and North Butler is without there star player to injury. Hampton 64 North Butler 58

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    ...this one should be a fantastic one to watch, and you just may have the unique opportunity to hear the "chop shop" radiating from both sides of the gym tonight. My apologies to any Natives that would be offended from this.
    lol, I can picture it now

You can't polish a turd.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Finals tonight for Tigershoops31's weekly pickem:

Ballard/Nevada- Nevada 55 Ballard 52

Pella Christian 72 West Marshall 57

South Hamilton 54 St. Eds 48

Montezuma 56 Van Buren 45

Looks like I was off on the Ballard game (again my apologies to Cub fans out there for my underappreciation for their abilities), but if Meatloaf was right and 2 out of 3 ain't bad, then 3 out of 4 is pretty solid for this novice sportswriter.

Rookie
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Alright sports fans, who is gonna make the call on Nodaway Valley v Pella Christian, I am calling out one famed sportswriter, I need the pick!