Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Iowa State's Biochemistry Program

So heres the rundown...Ive been accepted to Iowa State and have already sent in my acceptance fee so im pretty well locked in. One problem, Im stuck between the Meteorology and Biochemistry programs. Ive done my research on the meteorology program already, but im lacking info on the biochemistry program. So im just curious, is there any cyclone fanatics on here with a BS in biochemistry??? If so, it would be appreciated if you gave me a rundown of what it was like.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 9

Re: Iowa State's Biochemistry Program

well no info will be given on my part since I hate organic chemistry with a passion..... I passed by 7 pts my senior year so any chemistry is the devil in my eyes... but good luck with your decision

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

I got my degree in biochemistry a couple years ago. Obviously, it's a major for people who like science. You'll be required to take the 'weed out' versions of chemistry, biology and physics, as well as a fair amount of math. As for career options, the degree would prepare you for more graduate work in any health-related profession or in basic research. If you're not interested in grad school and enjoy working with your hands, you can get a decent job doing research in pharma or biotech companies or in academia, all under the direction of someone with a PhD.

Not sure exactly what you want to know but if you have more questions just pm me.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 823
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 5

I didn't get my degree at ISU in Biochem, but it was Biology and I took all of the Biochem classes. I really liked them, but like what was already said, you've gotta be interested in the stuff to get through it. I think the classes were great and there are opportunities to do research at ISU.

I took my ISU Biology degree and am now in a PhD program in Pharmacology and Cancer Biology at Duke. Point being...you can take a Biochem degree from ISU and go just about anywhere.....it is pretty well respected.

Also, FYI, I've TA'd a couple of classes here at Duke, and I can assure you that the exact same material is covered in ISU's classes. You're gonna get just as high quality of education as at some of the "elite" schools. (Please let Harrison Barnes know this)