Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 116

our defense...

well in the off-season there was alot of talk about our offense. everyone thought our defense would be horrible. i know we have only played one tough team, who destroyed our defense, but i think we are looking good so far. do you all think we can keep up the good d in conference play?

we have given up some big plays, but alot more 3 and outs than i was expecting to see. chris lyle has improved alot, and i think he will have to step it up big time the rest of the year. our d-backs are looking better. lj is off to a good start, but i'm not sold on banks. i personally like benton and think he should start. the smith boys are the best tacklers on the team. having david sims is huge! i really think he will make a huge difference in conference play. fred garrin is looking good this year also. there are still some weaknesses, which you will see when we play the tougher teams like oklahoma state. i like the way things look so far.....

This is Ophion speaking.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,042
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 201
    Given: 0

Re: our defense...

the defense has really surprised me this year. They are actually wraping up and tackeling which is something I haven't seen much of the last two years. The were at a disadvantage during the Iowa game because they had to get back on the field right after they got off almost every time. Hopefully they can keep up the good work. I am a Burnham fan!

Addict
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

I am holding judgement yet on the defense till we play some better offenses. But it is looking better than I expected.

Also I would note that the offense gave up more big plays against Iowa than the defense did.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 42

We've played 3 pretty bad offenses and one that's mediocre at best. They've definetely played well so far, but our game against Kansas I think will probably remind us of last years D. That's where our offense is going to have to carry our team to have a chance to win.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

You mention several backs and LB's, but our weakness is up front. It all starts there. If your defensive tackles get pushed off the ball, it gets hard to run a defense quickly. We've lost a reliable and experienced DE and our tackles are not our strength. Fortunately, we have one of the best DC's around. It is going to be key for our offense to NOT TURN THE BALL OVER and leave our D with a short field.

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by mcblogerson View Post
    We've played 3 pretty bad offenses and one that's mediocre at best. They've definetely played well so far, but our game against Kansas I think will probably remind us of last years D. That's where our offense is going to have to carry our team to have a chance to win.
    I would say 3 pretty bad offenses and 1 good offense (Iowa). Yes, it is the defense that probably won the game, and scored 2 points against Penn St but the offenses did put up 19 of their own points against a pretty good Penn St defense.

I, for one, am pleasantly surprised with our defense thus far and hope I stay that way as we enter conference play.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,324
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I would say 3 pretty bad offenses and 1 good offense (Iowa). Yes, it is the defense that probably won the game, and scored 2 points against Penn St but the offenses did put up 19 of their own points against a pretty good Penn St defense.

I, for one, am pleasantly surprised with our defense thus far and hope I stay that way as we enter conference play.
    I believe Iowa's offense only scored 6 points against penn st. The rest was special teams and defense.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 31

I'm on record multiple times saying this years defense would overachieve and this years offense would underachieve compared to expectations.

Yes....fortuneteller :)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Wrong. Blocked punt TD. Picks gave the offense a short field. Defense got the safety. Iowa's offense didn't move the ball. Iowa's offense scored because they picked Penn State in their own territory. Iowa has an awful offense and that's what's keeping them from being a top 5 team this year. If they get behind, they're screwed. Stanzi was awful against Penn State (not Arnaud vs. Iowa awful but still awful) and their running backs did what they're supposed to.

Last edited by IcSyU; 09-30-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 611
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Wrong. Blocked punt TD. Picks gave the offense a short field. Defense got the safety. Iowa's offense didn't move the ball. Iowa's offense scored because they picked Penn State in their own territory. Iowa has an awful offense and that's what's keeping them from being a top 5 team this year. If they get behind, they're screwed. Stanzi was awful against Penn State (not Arnaud vs. Iowa awful but still awful) and their running backs did what they're supposed to.
    Iowa's offense didn't move the ball? Serious question since there is a good chance you were either at the ISU game or were watching it, but did you even watch the Iowa/PSU game?

Iowa's offense moved the ball but every time they got across the 50 yard line they'd drop a pass, commit a penalty, bad throw, etc.

Iowa had 298 yards of offense in bad weather against a very good defense in a hostile environment.

ISU had 376 yards at home in nice weather against an ok defense.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Iowa's offense didn't move the ball? Serious question since there is a good chance you were either at the ISU game or were watching it, but did you even watch the Iowa/PSU game?

Iowa's offense moved the ball but every time they got across the 50 yard line they'd drop a pass, commit a penalty, bad throw, etc.

Iowa had 298 yards of offense in bad weather against a very good defense in a hostile environment.

ISU had 376 yards at home in nice weather against an ok defense.
    Yet Iowa fans say Iowa State's offense couldn't move the ball on Iowa last year in Iowa City. I think there's a double standard here. Weather also shouldn't matter. Iowa's offense is to grind it out, and rain isn't going to hurt that.

And I did watch the Iowa game....my roommate DVR'd it.

Additionally, total yards don't tell much. Iowa State averaged more yards per pass as well as more yards per rush vs. a worse defense.

Addict
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 611
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Yet Iowa fans say Iowa State's offense couldn't move the ball on Iowa last year in Iowa City. I think there's a double standard here. Weather also shouldn't matter. Iowa's offense is to grind it out, and rain isn't going to hurt that.

And I did watch the Iowa game....my roommate DVR'd it.

Additionally, total yards don't tell much. Iowa State averaged more yards per pass as well as more yards per rush vs. a worse defense.
    Who said ISU couldn't move the ball? They couldn't score, but they were inside the redzone for much of the third quarter so obviously they could move the ball. Is this another one of those "Iowa fans say....when in actuality they don't but ISU fans like to think they do"...like Iowa players winning the heisman?

How is Iowa a grind it out team when they pass just as often as they run? The weather certainly didn't help.

Wouldn't you expect them to have a better average against a worse defense?

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

The defense has been playing very well considering they've been on the field for 7-10 minutes longer than the offense (in at least our 3 home games).

Throwing 6 picks in the Iowa game didn't do us any favors.

And the truth is last year we didn't give up less than 17 points all season. This year we've done it twice against, yes, two crappy offensive teams, but none the less they've done what was needed of them to get W's.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,324
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Who said ISU couldn't move the ball? They couldn't score, but they were inside the redzone for much of the third quarter so obviously they could move the ball. Is this another one of those "Iowa fans say....when in actuality they don't but ISU fans like to think they do"...like Iowa players winning the heisman?

How is Iowa a grind it out team when they pass just as often as they run? The weather certainly didn't help.

Wouldn't you expect them to have a better average against a worse defense?
    This thread isn't about Iowa's offense. Stay on topic.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 110

Enough Hawk talk already, let's get back to the actual discussion. I posted this in another thread, but it got buried, so here it is again.

On the season so far, we're holding opponents to a 3rd down conversion rate of 31% (17/55). Here's how that compares to previous seasons:

2009: 31%
    2008: 51%
    2007: 43%
    2006: 45%
    2005: 34%

It sure seemed like we couldn't ever get teams off the field last year, and the numbers sure seem to support that. Obviously it's early, and we haven't played the meat of the schedule yet, but 31% so far is encouraging to me.

Now, if the offense would start converting more than 37% this year, then we'd be in business. But that's a thread for a different day.