Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 11

Re: Haley...

Not a whole lot going on with his recruitment as far as other schools are concerned. Makes me a bit suspect.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,079
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    Not a whole lot going on with his recruitment as far as other schools are concerned. Makes me a bit suspect.
    Nothing to worry about...trust me

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    Nothing to worry about...trust me
    I hope not. We need another mean, big man. I miss Homan.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Haley has potential to be very good...Just very raw, but very coachable.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, one thing we all know about GMac is that he can coach up bigs.

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

KG - i have to ask though, is this the same "Coachable" aspect that got McDermott in trouble his first 2-3 years here in recruiting? Coachable is fine at UNI, but against the Big 12, coachable may not get it. We've all discussed the recruiting aspect, but, the bottom line is, the talent level has really stepped up at all the other positions, except center.

I wonder why they've stepped up the recruiting more talented players at all the other positions but center?? They still revert back to developing players from diamonds in the rough then getting a skilled player and developing him into a superstar.....

I just get a bit worried when nobody else is recruiting a kid - AT ALL.....Its not like other schools havent heard of him.....nothing against him, just think the way for this program to get to where it should be is to be recruiting the highest caliber kids they can. Not to mention with our practice facility just opening, we should be using it as a recruiting tool......getting a diamond in the rough, is not recruiting to the programs capabilities, its filling a scholarship.

For big 12 play, we need an athlete in the middle. With the likes of Texas, Baylor, KU, Oklahoma, not to mention all the others, the middles have become more and more athletic. If nothing else, we need an athletic defender, even if he only averages 8 points a game, we need someone that can be athletic enough to defend the talented big men we will see in the big 12, i hope we get one. I would love to see us go after a guy like Jordan Threloff who's a lot closer to be ready to play big 12 basketball, and geographically, we have a very good shot at landing him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recru...6season%3d2010

If you want a project why not go after a kid like Shawn Jackson, his evaluation makes him sound like he would be a fan favorite....but then again - why nobody else recruiting him (academics)????

Here's ESPNs rating of Haley...

August, 2009: Haley has an impressive frame with broad shoulders and long arms, but he is a major project. He plays with passion, runs hard, and he has decent hands, but he struggles converting in the paint area. He is very mechanical when posting up and doesn't possess the savvy or athleticism to score in traffic most of the time. However, he does have a nice touch out to the elbow and could be productive in a pick and roll and a pick and pop set. Haley does have some intangibles (length and heart) that coaches look for in a big, but he'll need a redshirt year to get stronger and to hone his offensive game.

Last edited by KMAC_ATTACK; 09-29-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good post...

but it made me chuckle a little bit...Staff knows he is a major project. Trust me there is nothing to worry about at this point.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

KMAC-

Centers are the hardest to recruit. Only 10 or so aren't projects IMO. All others are "raw" and need to work to be solid players.

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 50

KG - i have to ask though, is this the same "Coachable" aspect that got McDermott in trouble his first 2-3 years here in recruiting? Coachable is fine at UNI, but against the Big 12, coachable may not get it. We've all discussed the recruiting aspect, but, the bottom line is, the talent level has really stepped up at all the other positions, except center.

I wonder why they've stepped up the recruiting more talented players at all the other positions but center?? They still revert back to developing players from diamonds in the rough then getting a skilled player and developing him into a superstar.....

I just get a bit worried when nobody else is recruiting a kid - AT ALL.....Its not like other schools havent heard of him.....nothing against him, just think the way for this program to get to where it should be is to be recruiting the highest caliber kids they can. Not to mention with our practice facility just opening, we should be using it as a recruiting tool......getting a diamond in the rough, is not recruiting to the programs capabilities, its filling a scholarship.

For big 12 play, we need an athlete in the middle. With the likes of Texas, Baylor, KU, Oklahoma, not to mention all the others, the middles have become more and more athletic. If nothing else, we need an athletic defender, even if he only averages 8 points a game, we need someone that can be athletic enough to defend the talented big men we will see in the big 12, i hope we get one. I would love to see us go after a guy like Jordan Threloff who's a lot closer to be ready to play big 12 basketball, and geographically, we have a very good shot at landing him.

Wayne Morgan had the talent but could not coach. All players need to be coachable.
    I don't understand why you are killing Gmac on his first few years. It takes time to build a program. I killed him for not keeping more kids at ISU when he first got here. After that his recruiting has been fine. It's just is hard to do without success.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    KMAC-

Centers are the hardest to recruit. Only 10 or so aren't projects IMO. All others are "raw" and need to work to be solid players.
    2010....zero in the midwest.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

2010....zero in the midwest.
    see my edited post KG - what about Jordan???? not dykstra either....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    see my edited post KG - what about Jordan???? not dykstra either....

Based off the information I have...very doubtful. Still a lot of variables playing out, so I don't have a lot of concrete answers.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It doesn't help that the best center we had a shot at committed to Wisconsin along time ago in Evan Anderson. I realize that it was a long shot from the beginning.

Most people just need to realize that recruiting comes with winning and connections. ISU has the connections but untill the winning starts the top notch recruits from around the country wont start coming.

Along with winning you gotta show that you can win for just more than one season. Say we had a great season this year, well the recruiting for the year would be more over than not at that point. When you have a good season it usually takes a year or two for the recruits to come in. for football it could take several good years of winning for them to come in.

for basketball with our connections having 2 really good years would go along ways toward securing recruits for along time to come

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Wayne Morgan had the talent but could not coach. All players need to be coachable.
    I don't understand why you are killing Gmac on his first few years. It takes time to build a program. I killed him for not keeping more kids at ISU when he first got here. After that his recruiting has been fine. It's just is hard to do without success.
    Knownot - i hear what your saying i'm not bashin him, i actually think he has turned the corner and in a big way. I completely agree and disagree with you regarding recruiting though....Coachable is important, so is heart, work ethic, basketball iq, athleticism, coachable only means he will fit into a system. Some of those other traits help offset inferior talent, because we are competing against the big boys in KU, UT, OK, even Baylor, Okie St, Missouri all are recruiting better, more athletic players and were scrambling to keep up with Coachable players. We competed with everyone in the nation for Brackins services and he will soon be showing his skills at the next level, that means a lot to potential recruits. It shows a high ranking guy came into this program and got much better!!!!

Trust me, i have a lot of trust in our staffs evaluations. But, i cannot believe we don't step outside the DEVELOPMENT box on our big guys, we have at all the other positions. Go out and try to get a front line player with top tier talent. If you do not try, you will not succeed. Maybe one of these guys favorite player right now in college basketball is Craig Brackins....he may just want to come and pattern his game at the same place that Craig developed.

I really hope the kid turns out to be the next Kelvin Cato, get a center like that and i will be happy. But another Vroman wouldnt be bad either. Getting a center that can compete in the big 12 is a big task, you got power, you got face up, you got post moves, you have all facets. The best players to handle all of them is simply an athlete at the 5 spot. The points, rebounds etc etc, not very often does a Griffin come along, get an athlete down low and it helps all facets of the team.