Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Starter Wingback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    758
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    A take on the atmosphere in Lincoln by the Louisiana Lafayette play-by-play announcer. A lot of CFers like to "nay-say" what goes on in Lincoln on game day Saturday, but this speaks volumes with regards to what college football should really look like. Most schools could only dream about getting this type of positive press. Like the Huskers or not, their game day reputation is legendary.

    Sports Blogs



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 80,825, Level: 88
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,125
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RyCy04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,339
    Points
    80,825
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 12

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    I have always been treated well in Lincoln when I have been there but I was impressed more with Texas A&M fans when I went to a game at Kyle Field. Also, a big reason nobody left early at the Nebraska game is that it was their 300th consecutive sell-out and there were post game festivities in the stadium.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 65,351, Level: 79
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,099
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,433
    Points
    65,351
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 0

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    I've been there for game day. I didn't get any "welcome to lincoln" .... "good luck today...". BS. I got heckled. I "tailgated" at BAR. There was nothing about the atmosphere that seemed any different than any other place I've seen a game.

    I'll take the ISU tailgating, gameday experience ANY day over Lincoln's.

    Any team would be happy to have the number of fans Nebraska gets to games and the history they have but that is where it ends for me.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  4. #4
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    Agree with most. Nebraska fans are very nice when you visit and they make you feel at home.

    BUT, they do boo. There was a big thing a couple years back when Nebraska players where told how much they suck and yelled at during the games



  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 19,770, Level: 42
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    becrisgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    869
    Points
    19,770
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 16

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    A take on the atmosphere in Lincoln by the Louisiana Lafayette play-by-play announcer. A lot of CFers like to "nay-say" what goes on in Lincoln on game day Saturday, but this speaks volumes with regards to what college football should really look like. Most schools could only dream about getting this type of positive press. Like the Huskers or not, their game day reputation is legendary.

    Sports Blogs

    From the article
    In the fourth quarter there were STILL over 80000 in the stands. .

    How many 'skers were in the stands during the 4th quarter of the USC game from a couple of years ago? How about the Oklahoma State game? Save yourself the embarrassment and admit that there were closer to 8k than 80k.

    With that said, Memorial Stadium is a nice little place to watch a game. The only problem is the smugness from the "Greatest Fans in the Land".



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 432,944, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,827
    Points
    432,944
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    1. Their "tailgating" absolutely sucks.
    2. The clapping is more condescending than anything else.

    They love their football, yes, but it's easy to be nice to the Louisiana-Lafayette when you know you're going to absolutely obliterate them.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 26,984, Level: 50
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,230
    Points
    26,984
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    A take on the atmosphere in Lincoln by the Louisiana Lafayette play-by-play announcer. A lot of CFers like to "nay-say" what goes on in Lincoln on game day Saturday, but this speaks volumes with regards to what college football should really look like. Most schools could only dream about getting this type of positive press. Like the Huskers or not, their game day reputation is legendary.

    Sports Blogs
    What's your point? If all you want is someone to say your right, nobody is better than Nebraska, then go to the Nebraska message boards. We get it. Nebraska football is awesome. Thanks for the update.



  8. #8
    Recruit
    Points: 5,169, Level: 21
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    94
    Points
    5,169
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    Nebraska fans are not so much polite, more condensending. They are so used to thinking their team is superior to the opposition, they just assume they are going to win. When they do lose, the are not so nice.

    Also, tailgating is very hawk like. Spread out all over town, and not fun at all.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 81,674, Level: 88
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 276
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,789
    Points
    81,674
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 0

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    In the stadium their atmosphere is up there with anyone. Outside the stadium is a different story. They have the facilities and setup to make a great tailgating environment but it was non-existent when I was there. They have the parking room and in the donor lots they have DirecTV dishes mounted on polls that you just hook up to (Jamie take note). Unfortunately a good majority showed up about an hour before the game and the others that were there didn't really tailgate. Maybe we caught them on a bad day but it's nothing like Ames.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 117,798, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    aeroclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,985
    Points
    117,798
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 67

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    1. Their "tailgating" absolutely sucks.
    2. The clapping is more condescending than anything else.

    They love their football, yes, but it's easy to be nice to the Louisiana-Lafayette when you know you're going to absolutely obliterate them.
    Couldn't agree more.

    However, I think the article does point out a couple things that ISU fans could learn from. First and foremost, the stadium was 65% full when Nebby took the field for warmups and completely full when the band took the field for pregame because the fans were there for football and not there to shotgun a couple more beers. The same thing was said about halftime.

    We talk a lot on this board about improving the gameday experience at JTS with a better sound system, better music selection, a bowled in endzone, etc. However, none of this matters much if the stadium is half empty until the 7 minute mark of the first quarter and the same thing gets repeated at halftime. I know we take pride in our tailgating, but there is plenty of time to tailgate and still make it to the game. It can still be part of the ISU gameday experience, but if we ever want to make JTS a bigtime atmosphere, our fanbase is going to have to make the decision to put football first.

    Okay, end rant...... screw Nebraska.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 335,706, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,765
    Points
    335,706
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 167

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    Was out there for the '05 game and we had a great time. Tailgated right next to some Husker fans that were a rather fun bunch.

    I'm sure we could go back to the same exact location and have the exact opposite experience...as the next people in our vicinity could be jerks. It's all the luck of the draw. Some fab bases are worse than others but I don't have any ill will for Husker fans...the rational ones that is.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 86,693, Level: 91
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,103
    Points
    86,693
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

    However, I think the article does point out a couple things that ISU fans could learn from. First and foremost, the stadium was 65% full when Nebby took the field for warmups and completely full when the band took the field for pregame because the fans were there for football and not there to shotgun a couple more beers. The same thing was said about halftime.

    We talk a lot on this board about improving the gameday experience at JTS with a better sound system, better music selection, a bowled in endzone, etc. However, none of this matters much if the stadium is half empty until the 7 minute mark of the first quarter and the same thing gets repeated at halftime. I know we take pride in our tailgating, but there is plenty of time to tailgate and still make it to the game. It can still be part of the ISU gameday experience, but if we ever want to make JTS a bigtime atmosphere, our fanbase is going to have to make the decision to put football first.

    Okay, end rant...... screw Nebraska.
    Seems to be a relationship. The better the tail gates, the less butts in the stadium at different times of the game.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 16,404, Level: 38
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,084
    Points
    16,404
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    There isn't much tailgating but it's great football atmosphere. Get a hotel next to the stadium, park your car and you don't have to drive until the next day. Everything is within walking distance and the hotels are ready for football. I think it's a great way to take in a game.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 253,582, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,605
    Points
    253,582
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 0

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    Each fanbase loves to think they are better than everybody else. Most fanbases are exactly like any other. You have a lot of good fans and some jerks who try to ruin it for everybody else.




  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 335,706, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,765
    Points
    335,706
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 167

    Re: The SEC THINKS it has great atmosphere...

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Each fanbase loves to think they are better than everybody else. Most fanbases are exactly like any other. You have a lot of good fans and some jerks who try to ruin it for everybody else.
    This.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. Kansas State
  • September 6, 2014
  • 11:00 AM