Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Cool Source of hatred towards the Hawks

Just wondering how everyone originally came to hate the Hawks. Were you a Cyclone first, then a hawk-hater, or the other way around? What caused your original hatred towards EIU and what drives it today?

Me, I work with too many Iowa fans that just make me want to see Iowa lose. Is that fair to the kids at Iowa? Not sure, but the fans make my blood boil over................

King James

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 90

Re: Source of hatred towards the Hawks

I actually grew up as a Hawk fan. They were always the ones on TV, in the paper, on the news, etc. etc.....

I used to root for Iowa up until just recently. It was the Hawk fans' reaction to our loss to KU in 2005 in football that took me over the edge. Their absolute glee in watching ISU fail made me want to puke.

Ever since then, my favorite team aside from ISU is whoever is playing Iowa.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Grew up an Iowa fan...went to ISU...converted. Funny story with that one, but I'm to lazy to tell it.

I don't hate Iowa or their fans. I dislike some of their fans - yet each fan base has their idiots/******.

I root against Iowa when they're facing ISU of course. Other than that, sometimes I root for 'em, sometimes against 'em and most of the time - I don't care one way or the other.

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I also grew up an Iowa fan, from Cedar Rapids. But when I attended ISU, Iowa Called it Moo-U. That started my long dislike for the black and gold. The arrogance I hear when I'm back home makes me sick.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 2

My dad had always been an ISU fan, so it was always ISU instead of Iowa. Growing up in Eastern Iowa, we always got Notre Dame and Iowa on TV, I chose to watch Notre Dame. Not sure what drives my hatred for U of I, but their fans have a lot to do with it. A couple years ago, a couple friends and I went to the ISU/UI basketball game in IC and we got yelled at the ENTIRE game by Iowa "fans" behind us, 1 of which had no clue what a one-and-one was. At the football game this past year, we had 2nd row tickets (a bunch of ISU students in front of Iowa season ticket holders) and they got 10 police officers to make us sit down. The police said we couldnt stand up AT ALL, but those behind us could. These events just added fuel to the fire. I dont use the word hate very often, but I hate the U of I.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 849
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19

I have always been an ISU fan. Thinking about Iowa is the only way I can wrap my head around the undying hatred that different groups in other parts of the world have for each other (ie the middle east). Obviously these are on very different levels, but is the only way I can even grasp the very concept.

When all is said and done, more is said than done

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 525
    Given: 472

I grew up a Hawk fan in Cedar Rapids. I went to ISU and somewhere between soph and junior year I began to hate Iowa. I recieved a complete lack of respect for going to ISU back home so decided I would never respect them either. I have great friends that are Hawk fans but the typical Hawk annoys the hell out of me. To be honest, we have Steve Alford to thank for dilluting some of their delusion. At least now they know they aren'y the center of the universe in everything. Of course they think it's their birthright to eventuially win a Nat. Championship in football.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

I also grew up an ISU fan in Cedar Rapids. I love CR, but as much as I hate to say it, it's the center of Hawkeye country.

Probably one of the main reasons I hate the hawks is the media coverage. The sports coverage is so ridiculous biased towards Iowa. Coverage of ISU athletics is almost nonexistant at times in Eastern Iowa.

I have a lot of friends who attend UofI, and I certainly don't hate them, but just the whole mentality that UofI is all the matters is infuriating. News media should be unbaised, balanced reporting, but that is certainly not the case in the state of Iowa.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,040
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23

Quote Originally Posted by letsgostate View Post
    I also grew up an Iowa fan, from Cedar Rapids. But when I attended ISU, Iowa Called it Moo-U. That started my long dislike for the black and gold. The arrogance I hear when I'm back home makes me sick.
    Same here but I am from NE Iowa. Exactly the same.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Grew up an Iowa fan, came to ISU still an Iowa fan. I joined the marching band and the trip to Iowa City in 2004 was my moment of enlightenment. The horrible things those people said to us and things they threw at us all because we were 'Clone fans. I was appalled at how they treated us simply because of our school. I know our fans aren't the nicest to Iowa fans, but we at least respect them as "humans." Plus I grew to hate hearing everyone from my hometown give me s*** everytime I came home about every little thing ISU did wrong. I found the way in 2004 and have been sober of the black and gold ever since

TRUE & VALIANT

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

All of my family is ISU fans/went to ISU. My hatred to the hawks came from their fan base...i have never found a decent one.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 536
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Started Elem. ed in NE Iowa. On where your fav.team shirt day, only the 1st grade teacher and I had on ISU. Was picked on to no end. Very long day for a 5 year old. Hated them ever scince.

"I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by throwittoblythe View Post
    Grew up an Iowa fan, came to ISU still an Iowa fan. I joined the marching band and the trip to Iowa City in 2004 was my moment of enlightenment. The horrible things those people said to us and things they threw at us all because we were 'Clone fans. I was appalled at how they treated us simply because of our school. I know our fans aren't the nicest to Iowa fans, but we at least respect them as "humans." Plus I grew to hate hearing everyone from my hometown give me s*** everytime I came home about every little thing ISU did wrong. I found the way in 2004 and have been sober of the black and gold ever since
    Holy Crap, this is exactly what I was going to answer. I was standing in the back row, cause I'm a sousa player, and I had this HUGE ********* right behind me yelling at me the ENTIRE game. I'm still not sure if he was actually watching the game...I think his sole purpose was to yell at the Marching Band.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

i hate the fact that when they are good, they claim to be the best ever; when they are decent they claim to be contenders for a title; and when they suck they claim that they were "robbed" in all of the losses. also hate how when we beat them it was all luck and "if we play again in december, iowa would kill isu." i hate the fact that everyone and i mean EVERYONE in my family is a hawk fan, and not one of them ever attended school there, or even had the ambitions to travel to that many of their games. let me tell you-thanksgiving and christmas usually aren't that happy of times for my wife and me as we have to listen to all of my families half-******** comments about how great their two-bit joke of a team is. last year when i mentioned how we had completely embarrassed them in football, it turned into an all out war. i could go on and on and on about the source of my hatred for hawks, but it would just get me wound up even more than i already am. hawk fans are clownshoes.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Living in the Iowa City area I get to witness the Hawkeye propaganda first hand and it is just that. Some are true Hawkeye fans and other just want to fit it so they become Hawkeye fans because it as close to college as they'll ever get.

I started really loathing Hawkeyes when my 5 year old twins get teased at preschool because they wear ISU clothes.