Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Jones Trade Rumors AGAIN!

Jacque Jones is in the rumors again.

A Trade of Alliteration
    Saturday, February 24 2007 @ 10:57 PM EST
    Contributed by: Ryan Pierce Views: 13

This just came across my desk, so I thought I'd pass it along. In a trade that would be the ultimate in allitaration, the Cubs are rumored to be taking a look at Geoff Jenkins in exchange for Jacque Jones. Why would the Cubs want to make this deal? My best guess is that they like the sound of the name and would prefer a little more power? Or... Geoff Jenkins has a little more power and has a buyout following the 2007 season. Jones makes 4M this year and 5M next year, and Jenkins makes 7M this year with a 9M option or a 500,000$ buyout. This would allow the Cubs to start Jenkins until Pie is ready, or so I'd assume.

I can honestly say that I didnt think that the Jacque Jones rumors would start this early. I've actually grown to like Jacque Jones and I think that he could end up being a huge part of the 2007 campaign. But, I might not be so depressed to see him go either. I cant decide.

LINK

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 12

Re: Jones Trade Rumors AGAIN!

That would be just a stupid trade. I dont get why everyone wants to get rid of Jacque. He hit .280 with 27 homeruns and 81 RBI's. I will take that any day from my right fielder.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 759
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Its not his offensive numbers so much, but his defensive. Plus not much of a clutch hitter.

But I am with you, this guy I would like to keep around.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Giving it a go
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 3

Could it be that he want's to leave? He did take alot of abuse from the bleacher's this past year.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Jacque needs to come back to the Twins, I always loved him when he played here. No one else seemed to think he was that good, but he is consistently a 25+ hr, 80+rbi outfielder with decent defensive skills.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I've been running this through my head for a while now. Especially since M&M were talking about the possibility of A-Rod going to the Cubs next year.

Imagine that infield - Rameriez, Rodriguez, <whoever>, D-Lee, and a not too shabby Barrett behind the plate. Yowzers!

But the other thing the Cubs could be looking at, is the hope and expectation that Pie comes on this Spring. Now you got Soriano in center and Felix over in left. With that speed and defensive talent, you could put a lump over on the right field line who only had to hit the long-ball.

Cubs got some more-than-good power hitters in Rameriez and D-Lee, but they don't have a consistent thumper. And that's not to say that I don't like JJ. He was one of our better players last season, to be certain.

BTW, who are the cub fans on here? I got a handful of tix last Friday and might have some on the trading block as the summer goes along. Family first.... Send me an IM iso I can file it away if you would have interest and I'll let you know when/if I have any. Blocks of 4 ......

Another question. I don't have satellite, so I don't get comcast. Anybody buy the MLB interent package? Any good? Wish they would just sell you a team package. Don't care about the other 15 games everyday.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 02-27-2007 at 08:09 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 759
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I've been running this through my head for a while now. Especially since M&M were talking about the possibility of A-Rod going to the Cubs next year.

Imagine that infield - Rameriez, Rodriguez, <whoever>, D-Lee, and a not too shabby Barrett behind the plate. Yowzers!

But the other thing the Cubs could be looking at, is the hope and expectation that Pie comes on this Spring. Now you got Soriano in center and Felix over in left. With that speed and defensive talent, you could put a lump over on the right field line who only had to hit the long-ball.

Cubs got some more-than-good power hitters in Rameriez and D-Lee, but they don't have a consistent thumper. And that's not to say that I don't like JJ. He was one of our better players last season, to be certain.

BTW, who are the cub fans on here? I got a handful of tix last Friday and might have some on the trading block as the summer goes along. Family first.... Send me an IM iso I can file it away if you would have interest and I'll let you know when/if I have any. Blocks of 4 ......

Another question. I don't have satellite, so I don't get comcast. Anybody buy the MLB interent package? Any good? Wish they would just sell you a team package. Don't care about the other 15 games everyday.
    I really like what you said here. Unfortunately Jones is one of those expendable players. When you got players in the farm system like Pie just itching to in; and already have Murton, Pagan, Floyd, and of course Soriano, Jones becomes the player to be let go. But why does this trade make sense. Well it all comes down tho the buyout. The cubs would have the ability to buy Jenkins' contract for less than what they would have to pay Jones. This then frees up a spot for next year that Jones would be taking up.

Now if only Jones was a better defensive player, I dont think we would be having this discussion.

Oh, and when Pie comes to the majors; there is no doubt in my mind that he would play center and Soriano would move to one of the corners.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 238

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    That would be just a stupid trade. I dont get why everyone wants to get rid of Jacque. He hit .280 with 27 homeruns and 81 RBI's. I will take that any day from my right fielder.

That is how the Royals frittered away their team - bit by bit until it turned ugly.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    Oh, and when Pie comes to the majors; there is no doubt in my mind that he would play center and Soriano would move to one of the corners.
    Really? I'm not a baseball guy. Took me an hour to decide whether or not to put that lump in left or right. I've been told it's a no-brainer how that works - apparently I don't have a brain cause I don't get it.

But why Pie in center over Soriano?. I guess it doesn't matter. I saw Felix play about 20 times last season with Iowa. His defense is impressive. He can run and has an absolute cannon for an arm, with accuracy to boot. I was just going on the assumption that Soriano was a more polished player.

Thx

Little side note/observation. I have tickets down by the I-Cubs bullpen/dugout. After a game last year, a bunch of little kids came down looking for autographs. Everybody passed by on their way to the lockerroom. Felix was the last out, walking down the baseline. A bunch of kids called out his name, and he turned around, came back, and signed a bunch of them. Seems like a real good kid.

I forgot about Angel Pagan. I like that kid too. Not sure how this all works, but the way M&M were talking last week, I guess it's pretty well known that A-Rod is gone from NY after this season. Unless he's having a superstar year, is there any chance of NY just letting him walk away and not trade him off come July? I can't believe Steinbrener will sit tight and get nothing for a player of his caliber. And Chicago will have some solid utility players like Jones and Murton, Izturis, etc, and a wealth of prospects in the minors to use with NY.

Food for thought.....

Personnally, I'd love to see it. I don't think A-Rod is as bad a player as NY makes him out to be, nor is he any type of cancer that some of the media portrays him as. And as I said earlier - God, what a lineup and infield. Especially in Wrigley.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 02-28-2007 at 08:13 AM.