Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Bad coaching ....

    First, Ron Zook. I know Ohio State traditionally has a good defense, but Illinois offense is stacked with high star talent and even a couple 5 stars I believe. How do they not put any points on the board? Juice Williams and Benn have gotten worse, not better. When you recruit as good as Zook does his teams should be better. I wonder if his recruiting is going to go downhill as kids won't want to go there when it is apparent players are not developing under him

    Second, Charlie Weiss. I am a Notre Dame fan but I can't stand that arrogant guy. Yeah they are 3-1 but the last 3 games have been closer than they should be. He gets even better talent than Zook does and he hasn't been able to do squat with it. Watching them tonight just added to my dislike of that guy. Coming down to the last play to beat Purdue! Brutal!

    Third, Paterno and Bowden. Neither coach anymore. Paterno doesn't even wear a headset and does absolutely nothing. Both are just coaching to try and beat each other in the pursuit of having the most wins. I think they are hurting their teams from moving forward. Yes Paterno had a top 10 team this year and last year but that has been more of a product of crappy competition and a crappy conference.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 65,798, Level: 79
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Rogue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,713
    Points
    65,798
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    Paterno and Bowden are just there for recruiting purposes.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 40,185, Level: 61
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Rods79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,479
    Points
    40,185
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    You know, I agree with your for the most part...and I think the fanbases of those teams that you mention would feel the same.

    Just an fyi though...Rhoads doesn't use a headset either.



  4. #4
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    Paterno and Bowden are just there for recruiting purposes.
    No Jumbo Fisher is the big recruiter for FSU. Bowden and Paterno are there for wins and the University can't push them out because they are legends



  5. #5
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrods79 View Post
    You know, I agree with your for the most part...and I think the fanbases of those teams that you mention would feel the same.

    Just an fyi though...Rhoads doesn't use a headset either.
    But I bet he would if he were upstairs in a booth

    Paterno doesn't even talk to anyone



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 80,720, Level: 88
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,230
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,616
    Points
    80,720
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 0

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    First, Ron Zook. I know Ohio State traditionally has a good defense, but Illinois offense is stacked with high star talent and even a couple 5 stars I believe. How do they not put any points on the board? Juice Williams and Benn have gotten worse, not better. When you recruit as good as Zook does his teams should be better. I wonder if his recruiting is going to go downhill as kids won't want to go there when it is apparent players are not developing under him

    Second, Charlie Weiss. I am a Notre Dame fan but I can't stand that arrogant guy. Yeah they are 3-1 but the last 3 games have been closer than they should be. He gets even better talent than Zook does and he hasn't been able to do squat with it. Watching them tonight just added to my dislike of that guy. Coming down to the last play to beat Purdue! Brutal!

    Third, Paterno and Bowden. Neither coach anymore. Paterno doesn't even wear a headset and does absolutely nothing. Both are just coaching to try and beat each other in the pursuit of having the most wins. I think they are hurting their teams from moving forward. Yes Paterno had a top 10 team this year and last year but that has been more of a product of crappy competition and a crappy conference.
    I think we've seen here at ISU that a good set of coordinators can make any coach look good. And if they have a set of guys that they have trained and trust then there is no reason for them to be in the middle of everything. They can focus on working with players and following the game.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 12,547, Level: 33
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    superman_101680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    796
    Points
    12,547
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    No Jumbo Fisher is the big recruiter for FSU. Bowden and Paterno are there for wins and the University can't push them out because they are legends
    And ND can't push Weis out because....well that would take a hell of an effort and multiple people.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 65,798, Level: 79
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Rogue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,713
    Points
    65,798
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    No Jumbo Fisher is the big recruiter for FSU. Bowden and Paterno are there for wins and the University can't push them out because they are legends
    Yeah, I'm sure none of the recruits ever get a phone call from Coach Bowden...



  9. #9
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 9,014, Level: 28
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CysMyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southlake TX
    Posts
    276
    Points
    9,014
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    Quote Originally Posted by superman_101680 View Post
    And ND can't push Weis out because....well that would take a hell of an effort and multiple people.
    Now that's good comedy. How about Charlie and Mangino in sumo match.



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 21,752, Level: 45
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    HawkFanISUalum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    789
    Points
    21,752
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    Quote Originally Posted by CysMyGuy View Post
    Now that's good comedy. How about Charlie and Mangino in sumo match.
    Ha! There has to be someone on this board with some Photoshop skills that could put that picture together.



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 144,758, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,602
    Points
    144,758
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 11

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    Paterno and Bowden are just around to raise money for the school....

    Zook has NEVER been a good coach, not even close... We're talking about a guy who took a DEMOTION from DC to Special teams coach when Florida hired stoops because Zook's D couldn't stop anybody... The guy can recruit, but he RUINS guys once he gets them in...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 29,565, Level: 52
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CyPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,508
    Points
    29,565
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    But I bet he would if he were upstairs in a booth

    Paterno doesn't even talk to anyone
    Paterno isn't in the booth? Weak. just because a man is old doesn't mean he is irrelevant. Speaking from experience.


    Last edited by CyPride; 09-27-2009 at 12:56 AM.
    “The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it happened.”
    – Norman Thomas, American socialist and six-time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

  13. #13
    Prospect
    Points: 5,223, Level: 21
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    65
    Points
    5,223
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    Quote Originally Posted by HawkFanISUalum View Post
    Ha! There has to be someone on this board with some Photoshop skills that could put that picture together.
    mangina would whoop charlies butt. he would coach circles around him as well, and those would have to be big circles!



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 24,542, Level: 47
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,044
    Points
    24,542
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 22

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    Another one IMHO: Ralph Friedgen.
    His team regressed so much since 2004.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 185,596, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    16,952
    Points
    185,596
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 18

    Re: Bad coaching ....

    Paterno only makes like $250,000 doesnt he. Let him coach he coached some good teams in his hay day, its not like they can fire him.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM