Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 3

Quarterback and Wide Receivers...

I got to thinking last night while watching the Missouri game exactly where our offense is......

At the quarterback position - i hope its the new offense and Arnaud is simply trying to make the perfect throws to the primary receiver, but, has he begun to evolve into another bret meyer that never looked off his primary. I loved Meyer and thought just like with Arnaud that he never got 100% comfortable in a system, but, his one year under Terry Allen was his best in my opinion. He would survey the field and find non primary receivers. After the changes that occurred in coaches, he never got back to that level. I'm starting to see a bit of that in Arnaud. Trust me, if i can see it, so can opposing defenses. I cannot remember any team that has more passes defended by a safety then ISU. That tells me, were telegraphing our offensive plays by the quarterbacks head.

Had anyone else noticed this or is it just me? When i've been at the games, i look at Arnaud and you can see the safety sliding based on his heads direction because they know that he will not look in a direction see the safety help and pull it down and either run it or look for another receiver....this is a really bad trait to have. For one, it brings your receivers that much closer to getting lite up like a x-mas tree and two, it causes turnovers or easy pass breakups. For me, the qb play has to start with his ability to look off a receiver and find the right guy. Watching Missouri and a redshirt freshman in Gilbert, he looked completely different then Arnaud. You can see his head moving through his progressions - that to me is a difference maker at the position. It takes advantage of whats there and does not force the ball or teammates into unnecessary coverage.

Wide Receivers - Is it possible that in Hermans offense that the receivers have a different job at hand then during the McFarland offense? The reason i ask this question is the spread is evolving into different styles based on offensive strengths. In some forms of the spread, it appears the wide receivers have to evaluate the location of the db or safety and change the route to get open rather then running to a spot - whether its defended or not?

What are the wide receivers responsiblities? Because, with all the athletic ability we have in Hamilton, Johnson, Darks, Reynolds and Williams, i don't see a lot of separation. Is that because the qb is throwing to his primary and of course with the qb telegraphing his throws, it only reasons that additional coverage will be blanketed on that receiver. Why are the wide receivers not getting wide open or at least separation enough to make easy throws and catches?

I think for our passing game to get going, its going to take quite a bit. Is it the qb or is it the wr - somebodys not making plays...curious to know what others think the problems with our offense really is and how to fix it....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 344

Re: Quarterback and Wide Receivers...

I'm afraid I agree, Arnaud appears to look at one receiver from the start and throws to him or runs. He has missed several open receivers. The ND St game he missed a very wide open receiver, thank God they got word down to the bench and he found him on the next series.

Walk On
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

Thats funny cause I was thinking the same things watching the first half of the Mizzouri game. I'm not sure how to answer your questions, but I'm hoping lack of wide receiver seperation right now is from not being familiar and comfortable in the offense. Right now were going through growing pains with the offense, but they're under good leadership I think.
    31-23 Cyclones baby!

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 672
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7

I have noticed this (not checking down) since the middle of last year. You would think that with the time the line is giving him, he would go through his progression however i have yet to see it.

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Rookie
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    I got to thinking last night while watching the Missouri game exactly where our offense is......

At the quarterback position - i hope its the new offense and Arnaud is simply trying to make the perfect throws to the primary receiver, but, has he begun to evolve into another bret meyer that never looked off his primary..

Last edited by kcclone33; 09-26-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

OK i'm tired of this. YOU cannot tell where is eyes are unless you're on the field. And even then its something that defences have to learn to be good at. Also you don't know how they're telling him to check. On top of that it has been said that he's only supposed to hold the ball for 2-3 seconds then pass or run. He's miles ahead of where Myer ever was in making smart decisions. He has a stronger arm with as much or more accuracy. On top of all that he can run the ball way better and get out of the pocket quicker if he has to. Just give him time to get used to the timing of the new system and forget about the Iowa game, that was not a reflection of his skill in anyway.

Sorry for the rant.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Exactly. That's why it looked like Iowa had 5 guys covering every reciever. The LB's and DB's drifted to where his eyes went, every time. In a timing offense, you want to freeze the LB's and DB's for a second and hit the seem. That's the difference between a short gain (or incomplete/INT) and taking one to the house.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 73

yup, I agree with your assessment as well.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    Exactly. That's why it looked like Iowa had 5 guys covering every reciever. The LB's and DB's drifted to where his eyes went, every time. In a timing offense, you want to freeze the LB's and DB's for a second and hit the seem. That's the difference between a short gain (or incomplete/INT) and taking one to the house.
    This could have also been because they only had 5-6 guys in box. We we're out-coached in that aspect of the game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kcclone33 View Post
    This could have also been because they only had 5-6 guys in box. We we're out-coached in that aspect of the game.
    Dude, it's just constructive critism. We're not ripping on the guy. He DOES lock into his first receiver. No question about it. A lot of times, before the snap. But all that wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't as innacurate as he has been this season. Way, way, way too many overthrown balls and behind receivers.

He will definately get better as the season goes on. I just hope it starts today. We could use a couple wins against Army and K-State.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    Dude, it's just constructive critism. We're not ripping on the guy. He DOES lock into his first receiver. No question about it. A lot of times, before the snap.
    Ok this is the last thing i'm gonna say on the subject because my point was lost. How can you know this?

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

let's just hope the "lock on" aspect of Arnaud's game is only a phase with the transition to the new offense. One thing I would definately like to see him do is throw a couple of pump fakes in a game...haven't seen much of that Im sure Austen knows what he has to fix and is trying to correct it so lets just sit back and enjoy some football.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Ok this is the last thing i'm gonna say on the subject because my point was lost. How can you know this?
    Because he looks to the side he throws for a couple seconds, and then looks to the opposite side for a milli-second to try and keep the defense honest. I challenge you to watch the replays and tell me he doesn't get his eyes on his target as soon as possible. Doesn't matter if it's a quick slant or a 20 flag route.

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

OK i'm tired of this. YOU cannot tell where is eyes are unless you're on the field. And even then its something that defences have to learn to be good at. Also you don't know how they're telling him to check. On top of that it has been said that he's only supposed to hold the ball for 2-3 seconds then pass or run. He's miles ahead of where Myer ever was in making smart decisions. He has a stronger arm with as much or more accuracy. On top of all that he can run the ball way better and get out of the pocket quicker if he has to. Just give him time to get used to the timing of the new system and forget about the Iowa game, that was not a reflection of his skill in anyway.
    + 1.

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 31

Yup, ive noticed it also, and a pump fake or two wouldnt hurt any. still have faith that he's the man for the job and he will get there, (soon?)

I truly am Cykd4life, it's in my skin!