SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 7

Cyclones Come Back for 64-61 Win at KSU

Courtesy: Iowa State University
    Release: 02/24/2007

MANHATTAN, Kan. – The Iowa State women’s basketball team trailed the Kansas State Wildcats all day, but came back to earn the win, 64-61, Saturday afternoon at Bramlage Coliseum.

The Cyclones improved to 21-7 overall and 9-6 in the Big 12 Conference, while Kansas State dropped to 16-12 overall and 4-11 in the league. Iowa State swept the series with the Wildcats for the first time since 2001 and swept both Kansas State and Kansas in the same season for the first time in school history.

Iowa State tied the game at 59-all with 1:52 remaining for the first time when Medders got the steal and the breakaway layup. KSU’s Ashley Sweat got a layin with 1:03 on the clock, but Medders found fellow senior Megan Ronhovde in the corner for a three to give the Cyclones their first lead of the game, 62-61, with 27 seconds left. Iowa State got the defensive stop on the other and the Wildcats were forced to foul Medders, who knocked down both free throw attempts to give ISU its final three-point cushion, 64-61.

Medders led the Cyclones with 16 points and seven assists, while Ronhovde had 12 points and five rebounds as the seniors led ISU for the second straight game. The Cyclones shot 40.7 percent from the contest and outrebounded KSU, 36-34. Sweat turned in 25 points for the Wildcats, while Shalee Lehning finished with 15 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists. Shana Wheeler had 10 points for Kansas State.

The Cyclones went cold to start the second half, going 2-of-11 from the field and committing seven turnovers over the first eight minutes of the second half, as Kansas State raced out to a 49-39 lead and held ISU without a field goal for over seven minutes. Iowa State answered with a 7-0 run, ignited by a Ronhovde three-pointer, to make the score 49-46. ISU kept cutting the KSU lead down, but the Wildcats seemed to find answers until the very end.

Kansas State held just a 40-35 lead at halftime leading by as many as 14, 23-9, with just over 11 minutes left in the period. The Wildcats hit one of their five first-half treys to take a 33-24 advantage, before ISU started chipping away at the KSU lead. Amanda Nisleit and Alison Lacey knocked down back-to-back three-pointers to cut the advantage to three points, 33-30. KSU got up by as many as eight from there, but Medders got a pair of free throws with seven seconds left to make the score 38-5. Kansas State got a final score by Sweat to push its halftime lead to five.

Eight Cyclones scored in the first half, led by Medders and Nisleit with seven points each. ISU shot 50 percent from the floor over the first 20 minutes, but allowed the Wildcats to shoot 51.7 percent and go 5-of-9 from three-point range. Sweat had 14 and Shalee Lehning had 13 first-half points.

The Cyclones will close out the regular season on Thursday when they travel to Texas Tech to face the Red Raiders. Then Iowa State will move on to the Big 12 Tournament in Oklahoma City, March 6-10.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 45

Re: Cyclones Come Back for 64-61 Win at KSU

Part of me almost feels sorry for the heart break KSU must be feeling. I didn't like the way the ladies played today but was very excited that they found a way to pull it off!

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 7

Again the Sisters fell behind in a game but again they they scratched their way back into it. This team has heart. They could have let K State run away with it once they were down by 10, but they didn't. Great job by the girls today. Let's go get Tech and then make a run in both the Big12 and NCAA tourneys.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 45

Another question that we can now look at is do they deserve to be ranked???
    We've gotin' hot as of late and I wouldn't be surprised if we peaked our heads into the top 25 soon.

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,258
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    Another question that we can now look at is do they deserve to be ranked???
    We've gotin' hot as of late and I wouldn't be surprised if we peaked our heads into the top 25 soon.
    I doubt it. Last week we didn't receive any votes in the AP Poll and only one vote in the USA Today poll.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/rankingsindex

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,176
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

i dont want to even get a vote now.. b4 ya i was gettin annoyed..but i like flying uder the radar

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore_23 View Post
    i dont want to even get a vote now.. b4 ya i was gettin annoyed..but i like flying uder the radar
    Yes, under the radar is nice, but I'm not sure it lasts (assuming it isn't already)....and especially if they can pull off a win at Tech. We started Big 12 play so poorly that it's kind of been the case all year. We win at Tech and I think we're ranked going into the tourney. If they pull off the 4th spot, under the radar won't be the case...

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Do ya think Bill has stopped his "it's time for me to go" talk?

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 12

Does anyone else think Coach Fennelly should be in the hunt for Big 12 Coach of the Year? Regardless of the outcome of the season finale, IMO he should surely be in consideration.