Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 0

Runners: Heart Rate Monitor Watch

My wife would like a heart rate monitor watch for her Birthday. I've done some research but there a LOT of options out there. I don't want GPS enabled as she isn't concerned about distance. She wants to know that when she is out for 30 mintues that her heart rate is in the best range. I know some are alarmed for the range. I think that would be good. A calorie indication would be good. Of course time as well.

One question I have is do they all require a chest strap? We have chest strap for our treadmill and neither of us like wearing it.

Size would be the other concern. It can't be anythign giant. Something slim and lightweight yet easy to read on the run.

Anybody have suggestions? I'd be willing to spend about $100.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 68

Re: Runners: Heart Rate Monitor Watch

I have a Suunto T4 (I think) and have gotten along well with it. My sister is an avid triathlete (she has even done an ironman) and swears by the Polar name brand.

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 922
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 61

Polar. That's what every gym uses also. Good stuff, but it does require a chest strap.

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,397
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Quote Originally Posted by johnpkelly81 View Post
    I have a Suunto T4 (I think) and have gotten along well with it. My sister is an avid triathlete (she has even done an ironman) and swears by the Polar name brand.
    I was looking at a Polar on REI.com. It got good ratings but there weren't very many reviews.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    I was looking at a Polar on REI.com. It got good ratings but there weren't very many reviews.
    Make sure to check eBay when you find one you like. There may be a reputable dealer to buy one from. I got my Suunto from Tate Defense.

Walk On
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I have a Polar F4 for women. It uses a strap. I've had it for a couple of years and I have no complaints. Well one complaint actually, the ice blue color fades and kind of yellows so I wouldn't recommend that color, but otherwise it's great. I purchased a heart rate monitor first that did not have a strap and it was crap. Way too much work to get a read and it wasn't continuous. Maybe things have changed in that area, but I didn't like it. The strap is much better.

Amazon.com: Polar F4 Women's Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Blue Ice): Sports & Outdoors

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 174

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    My wife would like a heart rate monitor watch for her Birthday. I've done some research but there a LOT of options out there. I don't want GPS enabled as she isn't concerned about distance. She wants to know that when she is out for 30 mintues that her heart rate is in the best range. I know some are alarmed for the range. I think that would be good. A calorie indication would be good. Of course time as well.

One question I have is do they all require a chest strap? We have chest strap for our treadmill and neither of us like wearing it.

Size would be the other concern. It can't be anythign giant. Something slim and lightweight yet easy to read on the run.

Anybody have suggestions? I'd be willing to spend about $100.
    There is a lot to this question. If the only data point that she is looking at is HR, you can go with something really basic. Most products from Polar, Suunto, etc are decent-and the entry level functionality is pretty much the same. I wear my HR watch 24/7 as I like it as my everyday...unless I am in the formal mode. You can even call polar directly(or one of the regional service centers) and pick up a 'factory' refurb at real decent prices. I have had very good luck with the Michigan service center-they are always easy to work with. You can find their contact info on the polar website.

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs