Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Offensive Passing stuggles????

I've read the blame games with one weeks its arnaud the next its on the receivers, maybe just maybe the transition to this passing offense is more of a quantum leap then we thought?????

In looking at Rice's statistics....

2006 (Before Herman)
    Chase Clement 1707 yards, 21 td, 5 int
    Jarrett Dillard 1310 yards, 20 td

2007 (Hermans first year)
    Chase Clement 3377 yards, 26 td, 16 int
    Jarrett Dillard 1057 yards, 14 td

2008 (Hermans second year)
    Chase Clement 4119 yards, 44 td, 7 int
    Jarrett Dillard 1310 yards, 20 td

What this shows me - When Herman took over at Rice as the OC, he inherited a very talented qb and wr. Considering the numbers, in Hermans first year, it appears the qb may have improved his yardage numbers, but, his interceptions went way up as they adjusted to the system. Dillards numbers dipped as well. Then in the second year, everything began to click. Our situation is very similar in that our qb has been making terrible decisions and is easy to read with his intentions. My guess is that because he's just trying to do so much because of expectations that his interceptions will continue to decrease as he begins to understand the offense, him and his wr begin to read the coverages the same way and most importantly, Hermans play calling continues to utilize his strength which right now is a huge oline and a stable of backs that can get the job done led by Arob.

What we need to see is separation from the wr and when they have a step that Arnaud can hit them in the numbers to allow them to make plays. Thus far this season, i've only seen one pass that hit a wr in the numbers on the dead run when it needed to be thrown and that was the slant to Marquis Hamilton against North Dakota State......

This offense is predicated on the wide receiver and qb reading the coverage the same way. Right now, sometimes it appears the wr does not know where the route should be run to attack the weakness of the defense and if they run a route deeper or wider then it should it provides opportunities for the defense to make plays. This team will improve in passing - they just need to get on the same page!!!!

Now is anyone wondering why we were out signing wr in our recruiting class....wish Bellamy would have qualified....we still need the guy that can catch a small play and make it the big play. I love money, darks and reynolds - but there is a difference in talking the talk and getting out there and performing. right now, i'm not sold that any of the three are that guy - yet......i hope one develops soon, because we desperately need a wr threat as we get ready for big 12 play!!!!!

I still think this system has huge upside, we just need to give it time. To me, why not use our strength, run the ball and pass out of a running spread attack. As those safety's work themselves closer to the line of scrimmage, give a shot or two over the top.....thats exactly how we caught NDSU - blitzing a safety and arnaud hit the player that was open in stride and he was able to make it a big play....its as easy as that....

I think we handle Army and then it will be our big test for the rest of the season...how do we do on the road, against KSU???? That game is a make or break for our season imo.......

Remaining games and predictions:
    Wins - Army, KSU, Colorado,
    Losses - Kansas, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Oklahoma St.
    Unsure games - Baylor, Missouri

Good thing about Baylor is were in the middle of Oklahoma and Oklahoma St.....

3-5 more wins are possible, it depends on our passing game and at what point everything starts clickin......Lets hope it starts this weekend and continues to improve week after week...then we have a chance to win 7 otherwise, 4 wins total would be realistic....

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 851
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 11

Re: Offensive Passing stuggles????

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Remaining games and predictions:
    Wins - Army, KSU, Colorado,
    Losses - Kansas, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Oklahoma St.
    Unsure games - Baylor, Missouri

Good thing about Baylor is were in the middle of Oklahoma and Oklahoma St.....

3-5 more wins are possible, it depends on our passing game and at what point everything starts clickin......Lets hope it starts this weekend and continues to improve week after week...then we have a chance to win 7 otherwise, 4 wins total would be realistic....
    Texas A&M is an "unsure" game in my opinion.

I agree with your write up...

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Nice post!

I agree that there seems to be some gaps between the receivers and QB. However, we have only watched 3 games into a new system. Money is new to the team, Darks has yet to show up for a game and Hamilton had a few good plays. All in all, we are inexperienced in this type of offense.

In addition to your post, I would also add that there was noticeable improvement in the 2nd year of Hermon. They went from 26 TD's to 44 TD's with less interceptions. I think there is still a lot of room to grow with the personnel that we have.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by jj-cyclones View Post
    Texas A&M is an "unsure" game in my opinion.

I agree with your write up...
    Maybe so JJ - but, can you tell me who's leading the NCAA in offense after 2 or 3 games depending on schedule????

Thats right - its Texas A&M with a robust 589.5 yards per game in 2 routes they've had over lesser opponents....but no lesser then Kent State or NDSU!!!!! By the way, they're also ranked in the top twenty in scoring offense...so the offense for a&m might be pretty good!!!!!

I was just looking at it from a standpoint that its there, and if they're offense is as good as advertised, it might be tough to keep up with our offense not exactly hitting on all cylinders yet - maybe by then......

BUT i love your optimism!!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 946
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 46

Nice, glad you had the patience to write that up, I agree.

Except for "3-5 more wins are possible", 9+ more wins is theoretically possible.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Good write up. Hard to argue with any of that. The D has shown good improvement so far, and I think AA looked good in the last game and 1 st game. This offense does not look that different from the one we ran last year. If we secure the football, this team is going to be fine and good enough for 6 wins. If not, who knows? I really think it's about as simple as that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

The test will be K-State, hard to judge anything from the teams your playing with the exception of Iowa. Even though K-State got beat by UCLA I thought they improved a lot from last week. I never count old man snyder out because he seems to get the most out of his players. I'll be there pulling for you guys because you're my second favorite team and KSU is my second most hated team.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

AA's running improved in the last game, and he did a nice long pass and a couple of outs to his credit. But not consistant. And we really need him to be on the mark. If he can play like his did at his best last year, we'll be in good shape.

Last edited by ketelmeister; 09-21-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,226
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 109

Let's just let the team focus and beat Army this week. Get on them early and often. Find a way to win and improve the "weak" points. Then KC....here we come.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by swammi View Post
    Good write up. Hard to argue with any of that. The D has shown good improvement so far, and I think AA looked good in the last game and 1 st game. This offense does not look that different from the one we ran last year. If we secure the football, this team is going to be fine and good enough for 6 wins. If not, who knows? I really think it's about as simple as that.
    I disagree that this offense looks the same as last years. The lanes that Arob had against KSU were huge. Last year the offense struggled to give Arob room to run. In watching the games I can see the potential of this offense if the WR and QB could just get on the same page.

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    I've read the blame games with one weeks its arnaud the next its on the receivers, maybe just maybe the transition to this passing offense is more of a quantum leap then we thought?????

In looking at Rice's statistics....

2006 (Before Herman)
    Clement 1707 yards, 21 td, 5 int (DNP vs UCLA, Texas, FlState)

2007 (Hermans first year)
    Clement 3377 yards, 26 td, 16 int(59.1%)(23-30 for 239 vs. Baylor)
    (20-38 for 212 vs. TTU)
    (23-38 for 279 vs. Texas)
    2008 (Hermans second year)
    Clement 4119 yards, 44 td, 7 int(66%) (30-48 for 301 vs. UT)
    (25-40 for 299 vs. Vandy)
    Overall really good numbers. In '06, as a sophomore, Clement missed 3 games due to injury. His passing yards would have gone up, but quite possibly so would his INTs with those being the only BCS teams they faced all year. Overall, for a soph who went to Rice for the wishbone offense, '06 was a great year for a first-time spread QB.
    '07 and '08 speak for themselves. Very nice progression. Some of that would be the natural maturing of a young QB, but I've seen QBs who couldn't progress if their life depended on it (i.e. Kyle Wright @ the U).
    It looks like we will be in good hands with Herman. If we can get a QB in here that makes good decisions day in and day out we will put up some numbers.

Cy 'till I Die

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 707
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 27

I think as the O line continues to improve, IMO they are light years ahead of last year, the passing will improve. Teams will not be able to bull rush and AA has more time and the receivers get their timing down. I dont know that that equals more wins but after last year just being competitive will be a good start. We might even be able to squeak out a surprise win somewhere.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 74

The line is a lot better than last year. Its funny some were worried about the running game going into the season. If ARob can keep this up it will help the passing game out a bunch. It looks like Herman is doing good and getting better at making adjustments and running what the other team is giving him.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Everyone is comparing us to rice's offense but imo our offense atleast this year won't statistically look like rice's. We are going to be more of a running spread. Unless something extraordinary happens and we become explosive in the passing game, I think its unfair to compare us to rice. Of course this is just my opinion and you can rip me all you want for it.