Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Track and Field

Do they still call it that? Maybe this time its just Indoor Track - the Big 12 championship is being held at ISU this weekend. I don't expect us to win, but, is there any evidence that this sport has gotten the Pollard message? Are we striving for a top half finish and aspiring to be conference champions? This quote is in the Lincoln paper, some day I'd like to see quotes like this one in the Rag. “Nebraska is always in the title chase in football, volleyball, you name it, and this is the same thing. We want the Big 12 championship.”

Obviously, the word "always" is over the top, but, that's the attitude.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 263
    Given: 36

Re: Track and Field

Baylor always wins the big 12 in track right?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 7

Texas and Nebraska win. Iowa State hasn't challenged in a decade. I don't believe that there's evidence of the Pollard message, mostly because these sports need big time football to be competitive. Asking for anything more without more support won't cut it. The Big 8 was a completely different animal when we were successful as a team. NU is competitive in all that stuff becuase they have a budget for each like no one else in the conference. Same for Texas. All driven by Football.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by tec71 View Post
    these sports need big time football to be competitive. . . . All driven by Football.
    This reminds me of a statement by NU fan-posing-as-a-sports-broadcaster Jim Rose. Several years ago Rose stated that Fennelly was just lucky and ISU couldn't sustain a winning women's basketball program because they're not good at football. If money is the issue, then yes, those olympic programs will have to wait. Why is the same not true of gymnastics or wrestling? It might take more money to reach the top, but, I think we can start improving now with just a change in attitude and purpose. Did Fennelly wait for the new practice facility? What level of achievement will we accept? I doubt the NU track facilities are significantly better than ours.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads