Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 180,955, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,372
    Points
    180,955
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 0

    Are we running the right kind of offense?

    Don't rip me a new one, but just to throw out a topic of discussion.... does everyone think we are running the most effective offense for this team's strengths?

    I only ask because thus far we've been a far better rushing team than passing team. And if you take into account we have one of, if the not the biggest O-lines in the nation, would we be better off in more of a pro-style offense at times?

    Or... are we running it well only because of the offense we are running?

    Iowa almost completely shut down the 5th best rushing offense in the country yesterday outside of one long run, but yet we ran the ball on Iowa almost at will in the 1st half against them.

    I actually think that our O-line is our biggest strength as of right now... with ARob being a close 2nd. Our QB's and WR's have been a big disappointment in my eyes. Sed and Darks are nearly invisible right now.... and AA is very inaccurate with most of his throws.

    Thoughts??



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    I think it will be perfect in the Big 12 once everyone is on the same page on offense


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 180,503, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,927
    Points
    180,503
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 806

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    Meltdown threads after a win?

    Tom Herman, the OC, has said that he would design the offense to suit our talent. Just because they aren't hitting on all cylinders (under a new staff) yet is no reason to start questioning everything under the sun.




    Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

    Who knew?


  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 159,280, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,134
    Points
    159,280
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 886
    Given: 10

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    I understand your point...I considered the same thing last night. I know Herman is a spread guy, but it seems to me (right now at least) this team might be best suited to line it up and pound it...but maybe the reason we think that is because the spread rungame is what we are best suited for, and if we tried a power running game we would not be as succesful. Give it time, I supppose.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 180,955, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,372
    Points
    180,955
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 0

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    I understand your point...I considered the same thing last night. I know Herman is a spread guy, but it seems to me (right now at least) this team might be best suited to line it up and pound it...but maybe the reason we think that is because the spread rungame is what we are best suited for, and if we tried a power running game we would not be as succesful. Give it time, I supppose.
    That's pretty much my thoughts as well right now. Why mess with what works? If we're running the ball well now, then why change it, right?

    If somehow AA and the WR's could get this passing game going, just think how dangerous ARob would be then? He would get 200+ yds. Hopefully that will start happening.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 63,022, Level: 77
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    3,319
    Points
    63,022
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 3

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    I feel it doesn't matter what type of offense you run as long as the coaches can get the players to execute the schemes. I hate to say it but the reason Iowa has success isn't because they run a "pro" style offense but it's because they have the same offensive system in place for the last 10 years and they are very good at executing it.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 465,889, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,239
    Points
    465,889
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 470
    Given: 139

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    I understand your point...I considered the same thing last night. I know Herman is a spread guy, but it seems to me (right now at least) this team might be best suited to line it up and pound it...but maybe the reason we think that is because the spread rungame is what we are best suited for, and if we tried a power running game we would not be as succesful. Give it time, I supppose.

    This. We need to keep running the ball, but we're running a great offense for that. "Spread" does not mean pass, pass, pass. Running the ball is a big part of what this offense was supposed to do, and it's effective right now. The games we've won, we ran the hell out of the ball.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 80,480, Level: 88
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,073
    Points
    80,480
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 352
    Given: 116

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    One way to look at it is that we are working on our weaknesses, rather than hiding them. I don't think that necessarily means giving up on this season. But we are doing things necessary to build a solid, long football team. And that would mean getting comfortable with basic things, and doing them right- like passing.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 97,500, Level: 97
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,550
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    everyyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,065
    Points
    97,500
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 194

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Don't rip me a new one, but just to throw out a topic of discussion.... does everyone think we are running the most effective offense for this team's strengths?

    I only ask because thus far we've been a far better rushing team than passing team. And if you take into account we have one of, if the not the biggest O-lines in the nation, would we be better off in more of a pro-style offense at times?

    Or... are we running it well only because of the offense we are running?

    Iowa almost completely shut down the 5th best rushing offense in the country yesterday outside of one long run, but yet we ran the ball on Iowa almost at will in the 1st half against them.

    I actually think that our O-line is our biggest strength as of right now... with ARob being a close 2nd. Our QB's and WR's have been a big disappointment in my eyes. Sed and Darks are nearly invisible right now.... and AA is very inaccurate with most of his throws.

    Thoughts??
    we ran on iowa because they let us. they decided they would put everything into stopping the pass (and Arnaud helped them with the strategy) so we could run.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 180,503, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,927
    Points
    180,503
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 806

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post
    One way to look at it is that we are working on our weaknesses, rather than hiding them.
    I don't think that it's so much a "weakness", as that a running game is much more about fundamentals, easier to execute when the talent is there, and the passing game just isn't in sync yet--especially with key members missing time due to injury.




    Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

    Who knew?


  11. #11
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    We've only had three games in this offense so I'll trust that things will get goin even more so in the next couple weeks. One thing that is important to remember and i think it has already been said but Herman is running his offense with guys he didnt bring in. I'm not saying the guys we have are bad or anything but if we give these guys the time to settle in and bring in the guys they think will succeed in their offense, in the future we should see an even more potent offense.

    I think we are just working out the kinks right now and if we can be 3-1 in non-conference working things out and then be ready for K St i like our chances for a possible 6 or so win season.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 119,358, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,979
    Points
    119,358
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 196

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Just because they aren't hitting on all cylinders (under a new staff) yet is no reason to start questioning everything under the sun.
    That's what we all said when Chizik was here...



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 194,561, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Dryburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    9,050
    Points
    194,561
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 6

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    I think you have to give it time. Keep in mind some of these players are now on their 3rd head coach and coaching staff. You have to have time to implement the system, plus you have to recruit the athletes that will fit the system you are wanting to implement. We will probably see some signs over the next couple of years if it is going to work or not, but we may not know for a while if it is going to be successful in the Big 12. Hopefully, CPR will stick around, as will his staff, and he will be able to recruit the athletes he needs to fit the system.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 106,454, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyrocksmypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    8,801
    Points
    106,454
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,891
    Given: 119

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    This. We need to keep running the ball, but we're running a great offense for that. "Spread" does not mean pass, pass, pass. Running the ball is a big part of what this offense was supposed to do, and it's effective right now. The games we've won, we ran the hell out of the ball.
    EXACTLY. Too many people assume the spread offense means you have to pass alot.

    In fact, the spread does EXACTLY what it says it does. It's desingned to spread out the defense. You get more wide outs in so the defense is forced to cover them, giving you more one on one opportunties for the offensive line in the running game. Essentially, it makes it much more difficult for a team to stack the box against the spread, because they've got to take the multiple receivers into account.

    In a perfect world, the offensive line does their job and ARob has to make one person at most miss before reaching the secondary.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 80,826, Level: 88
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,124
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,224
    Points
    80,826
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 182

    Re: Are we running the right kind of offense?

    Correct system, takes time to hit on all cyclinders, once we start Throwing off defenses all the time rather than ourselves we'll be solid, but it takes time to implement something like this. It will also really help recruiting IMO, kids wanna play in this system. It's fun and fun to watch. Go for a drink of your pop, check your phone, eat some popcorn and you miss a big play. But must give the smart minds who plan it to get these smart kids running it to their full potential. Coach Rhoads is HERE TO STAY and once we've run it for some years this will be awesome to watch.

    It's only flaw IMO is that it is meant to move and score quick, and I'd rather not continuously out our D right back on the field. It's VERY imperative you don't turn it over tho. I would like to see our D get more rest, but as long as we're still scoring idc...last time I checked the object of the game was to score as much as possible.


    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

    HOI-BALL!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM