Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 325

Another Look at Iowa

I know, I know, it was painful. But I sat down and watched the Iowa game again. Just a few thoughts...

The whole team was discombobulated, after that first field goal. It's easy to look back and blame Austen for a bad game, but before he started pressing, everything in the world that could go wrong went wrong. One key play was on a third and long, when he hit Marquis Hamilton right in the numbers--and Marquis dropped. Another was Rashawn's(?) one finger facemesk, when the Hawks were back near their own endzone--and IIRC, it negated a pick.

My impression was that it was only after such plays as these (and they were hardly the only ones--that Austen started to take too much onto himself. All all right, so you want a quarterback who's a leader, who can put a team on his shoulders--but Austen was simply trying too hard.

On a further note, I've heard Darius Reynolds criticized for his game, and I took a careful look at every catch. The one that he was criticized for not simply getting the first down on wasn't so cut and dried, and for the folks that say they haven't even seen a gleam of any promise out of our wideouts--go back and take a cloer look at his last catch and run, catching, spinning, beaking away for a few extra yards before beign swarmed once more. This guy is going to bust out big time before too long.

It'll help if the team doesn't implode again.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 616

Re: Another Look at Iowa

Are you sure the facemask was on Parker? I was almost positive it was Lyle, either way that sucked.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 26

I watched the first 3 qtrs yesterday as well on FSN. I came away thinking even more strongly that I may never see a team lose that badly and still perform that well in the trenches. I have no doubt both our lines held their own against Iowa. Either that is a very good sign about us or...maybe it's a really bad sign for Iowa. Main thing is I came away feeling much better about this team. It's been said a million times this week but we shot ourselves in the feet maybe more-so than I can ever remember a Cyclone team doing.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    I watched the first 3 qtrs yesterday as well on FSN. I came away thinking even more strongly that I may never see a team lose that badly and still perform that well in the trenches. I have no doubt both our lines held their own against Iowa. Either that is a very good sign about us or...maybe it's a really bad sign for Iowa. Main thing is I came away feeling much better about this team. It's been said a million times this week but we shot ourselves in the feet maybe more-so than I can ever remember a Cyclone team doing.
    I agree 100%, mustangcy. Our O & D lines both held their own against Iowa. I am confident that our team made positive strides that went unnoticed because of all the turnovers.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 468
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

i personally feel our O-Line pushed iowa around a little bit. We have some maulers. the D-Line held its own for the most part, but started getting worn down. it encouraging stuff to see. AA needs to step up...

ALL IN

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 556

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    It could have been some form of shock that Arnaud was suffering from that caused him to play so terribly. For the first game of his career he wasn't running for his life on every pass play. This had to throw him off his game quite a bit.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the announcers said that ISU has 3 O-lineman over 330 lbs? Is that right?

Also, it's good to see your kicker out there. I was sure after seeing one of the linemen, that he must have eaten the kicker or something. Can't remember what number he was, but he was HUGE.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneman003 View Post
    i personally feel our O-Line pushed iowa around a little bit. We have some maulers. the D-Line held its own for the most part, but started getting worn down. it encouraging stuff to see. AA needs to step up...
    I disagree completely about the D-Line holding its own against Iowa. I do believe they gave it all they had, but it wasn't good enough. ISU had one sack in the game and that was by Josh Raven (LB). Iowa's running backs averaged 6.3 yards per carry, and the only ones who stopped them were our safeties. If we didn't have Sims and Smith back there, they would still be running. No one on here was predicting that Iowa would run wild against us before the game (in fact, it was just the opposite).

Don't forget that ISU gave up 7.6 yards per carry against NDSU's running backs. That's two horrible performances in a row by the D-Line. I'm sorry to be so negative, but the coaches either need to make some changes among the personnel or I expect more of the same for the rest of the season.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 614
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    It could have been some form of shock that Arnaud was suffering from that caused him to play so terribly. For the first game of his career he wasn't running for his life on every pass play. This had to throw him off his game quite a bit.
    Funny but there is a lot of truth to that!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It was definitely Lyle who got the facemask. Rhoads even said it in an interview with the Rag, but that facemask came from Stanzi turning his head in to Lyle while stiff arming and the hand grazed the mask. Note grazed, not grabbed.

The game was a meltdown of epic proporitions but it was not one where we were outgunned. Just horrible game management by Austen.

A rebound will happen this week.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 260

After the onside kick, we could not make four positive plays in a row before something went haywire. It sure went soiuth fast in the second and thrid quarters. The trenches looked fine. Having four turnovers in a shortime was really all the game wrote. A bad punt did not help.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    It was definitely Lyle who got the facemask. Rhoads even said it in an interview with the Rag, but that facemask came from Stanzi turning his head in to Lyle while stiff arming and the hand grazed the mask. Note grazed, not grabbed.

The game was a meltdown of epic proporitions but it was not one where we were outgunned. Just horrible game management by Austen.

A rebound will happen this week.
    His finger was in to the second knuckle, and he pulled. Rhoads can spin it how he wants, but video doesn't lie.

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post
    I disagree completely about the D-Line holding its own against Iowa. I do believe they gave it all they had, but it wasn't good enough. ISU had one sack in the game and that was by Josh Raven (LB). Iowa's running backs averaged 6.3 yards per carry, and the only ones who stopped them were our safeties. If we didn't have Sims and Smith back there, they would still be running. No one on here was predicting that Iowa would run wild against us before the game (in fact, it was just the opposite).

Don't forget that ISU gave up 7.6 yards per carry against NDSU's running backs. That's two horrible performances in a row by the D-Line. I'm sorry to be so negative, but the coaches either need to make some changes among the personnel or I expect more of the same for the rest of the season.
    The final numbers were slightly misleading, given that our defense spent so much time on the field due to the constant turnovers. Through the 3rd quarter, Iowa had 24 rushes for 101 yards, a 4.2 average. Not outstanding, but not bad either. In the 4th when our defense was worn down, they rushed 11 times for 90 yards, an 8.2 average. So I think their final numbers were inflated quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDayLong View Post
    His finger was in to the second knuckle, and he pulled. Rhoads can spin it how he wants, but video doesn't lie.
    Truth. He didn't hold on long, but long enough that it was a no doubter.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 19

I watched the replay up until the FG at the end of the 1st quarter. We were in good shape at that point. The wheels came off shortly afterwards, but if we could have kept going what we had started in the 1st, we would have won this game.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 556

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post

I am going to have to disagree with you. The D-line in my opinion played a solid game. You didn't see Iowa gashing us right up the gut like every team we played last year did. They held their own and on most plays when Iowa attacked us by running up the middle they were stuffed. Now when their backs made a play and cut it to the outside they were making solid gains but that is where the linebackers are supposed to be to cut off the corner. I think the D-line is doing everything we have asked of them with the exception of getting to the qb. They just need to figure out how to get pressure on the qb.