Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 8

Big series this weekend

Well, when the Tiggers head West to the Dome this could very well decide the Central. Detroit has had so many opportunities to put the Twins/Pale Hose away, but haven't been able to do it. If the Twins can take 2/3 or sweep things get really exciting.

The Tiggers are down 5-0 to the Royals right now, and Grienke is looking good so far. Twinks could be back only 4 games coming into tomorrow.

Matchups:
    Duensing(3.53 3-1) vs Porcello(4.21 13-8)
    Pavano(4.91 12-11) vs Verlander(3.34 16-8)
    Baker(4.35 13-8) vs Washburn(3.78 9-9)

Should be a couple great games, I've got tickets for Sat/Sun and might head over to the game Friday night with my bro

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Big series this weekend

Baseball is still goin on?

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 102

The Twins or the White Sox have to sweep Detroit at this point in the season to make up this much ground! Can't rely on other teams to beat Detroit if you aren't going to sweep them! Taking 2 out of 3 at this point only nets you 1 game in the standings...too late to do that! Gotta think sweep or gotta think about going home!

It seems weird that as a White Sox fan I will be rooting for the Twins to sweep the Tigers!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 179

Quote Originally Posted by Bader View Post

Matchups:
    Duensing(3.53 3-1) vs Porcello(4.21 13-8)
    Pavano(4.91 12-11) vs Verlander(3.34 16-8)
    Baker(4.35 13-8) vs Washburn(3.78 9-9)
    The Twins seem to have their three best pitchers of late going up against the Tigers. Duensing has come out of nowhere to be solid in the rotation, Pavano has owned the Tigers back to when he was an Indian (and it has carried over), and Baker has all but become the ace of this staff. The Tigers are bringing in three of their best as well, although Washburn has been quite the disappointment since coming in from Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    The Twins or the White Sox have to sweep Detroit at this point in the season to make up this much ground! Can't rely on other teams to beat Detroit if you aren't going to sweep them! Taking 2 out of 3 at this point only nets you 1 game in the standings...too late to do that! Gotta think sweep or gotta think about going home!

It seems weird that as a White Sox fan I will be rooting for the Twins to sweep the Tigers!
    While a Twins sweep would do wonders for the team (they'd be just one game back if the 8-0 Royals lead holds up), even losing 2 of 3 doesn't put the Twins out of this thing. About the only thing that puts this thing out of reach is if the Tigers sweep the Twins in the Dome. Other than that, yes, if the Twins are going to push the Tigers for the division, this three game set is where they have to make their statement.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,002
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post

I'm hoping for a repeat of the 2006 regular season - any Tigers/White Sox fans remember what happened then?

Asst. Regional Manager
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 104

Twins have their 3 best options going. Put up or shut up time. This team is amazing. Losing Morneau, Perkins, Blackburn, Crede, Neshek and still in the hunt.

Remember that stressed spelled backwards is desserts!

"The New England Patriots: As annoying as the Yankess, just with 23 fewer titles."

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    Twins have their 3 best options going. Put up or shut up time. This team is amazing. Losing Morneau, Perkins, Blackburn, Crede, Neshek and still in the hunt.
    Blackburn is fine (or at least last I checked). Don't you mean Slowley?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,153
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Blackburn is fine (or at least last I checked). Don't you mean Slowley?
    I would assume he means Slowey, and Neshek has been gone for the last two years so the team hasn't been counting on him anyway(hanging out in Fort Myers the last 2 years trading baseball cards, rough life Pat)

Point still stands. Losing Morneau really hurts, but the team is 8-2 without him, so we'll see how long the rest of the order is able to pick up the slack.

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 3

Don't forget they lost Liriano too. Blackburn was great at the start of the year, but very inconsistent since. He was good a couple of days ago though, so we shall see.

You would think losing Morneau would hurt, but you can also look at the fact that for the last month he has not been much of a factor. In fact, it probably hurt to have him in the lineup more than it helped.

Tigers will be pitching their best in Verlander and Porcello. The Twins have beaten Verlander the last two times they have faced him. In fact, the last time they saw him they lit him up for 5 runs. The last time they faced Porcello at the Metrodome, they scored 6 runs off him in 4 innings. Washburn was injured in his last start, and is not likely to pitch this series. He will probably be replaced by Nate Robertson, but Robertson has been nursing a groin injury, so who knows?

Should be a great series. Hopefully the dome will be packed.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yep I meant slowy. My bad.

"The New England Patriots: As annoying as the Yankess, just with 23 fewer titles."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 198

If the Twins sweep this weekend, they'll be 1 back heading out on a 10 game road trip before ending at home w/ the royals.

If this is really going to be a close race, the Twins will have to win some important road games.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

They HAVE to get 2 of 3. If they don't, no chance left.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My blood pressure is rising just thinking about the remainder of this season......the Twins will probably sweep the Tigers and then lose 2 or 3 straight, then come back and get a couple games in a row and it will eventually come down to the Twins beating the Royals in the final game to tie with the Tigers and force a 1 game playoff in Detroit, where the Twins will then take a 5-0 lead by the 3rd inning only to end up giving it away in the end......Sound familiar Twins fans?

Regardless, I'll be cheering them on as usual and hope for the best - it would be great to have a playoff series in the final season of the Metrodome.

- Im not a spin my wheels type of guy." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jonecy View Post
    My blood pressure is rising just thinking about the remainder of this season......the Twins will probably sweep the Tigers and then lose 2 or 3 straight, then come back and get a couple games in a row and it will eventually come down to the Twins beating the Royals in the final game to tie with the Tigers and force a 1 game playoff in Detroit, where the Twins will then take a 5-0 lead by the 3rd inning only to end up giving it away in the end......Sound familiar Twins fans?

Regardless, I'll be cheering them on as usual and hope for the best - it would be great to have a playoff series in the final season of the Metrodome.
    Since the Twins currently lead the season series 7-4, and, in response to last year in which the Twins won the season series against the White Sox and still had to play the playoff in Chicago based on coinflip MLB changed the rule that the team that wins the season series hosts the playoff game, the Tigers would have to win 5 of the remaining 7 games against the Twins in order to host that one game playoff for the division if the division ends in a tie. Which means if the Twins sweep this series they own the tiebreaker. It also means if the Twins win 2 of 3 in this series, the Tigers will have to sweep in Detroit. Then again, if the Twins lose 5 of 7 to the Tigers down the stretch, they're not going to be in the position to get to the one game playoff anyway.

To summarize, based on MLB rule changes and the current situation, if the Twins and Tigers end in a tie at the end of the year, the playoff will be in Minnesota as Detroit can't win the tiebreaker from Minnesota without running away with the division itself.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    Twins have their 3 best options going. Put up or shut up time. This division is amazing. Losing Morneau, Perkins, Blackburn, Crede, Neshek and still in the hunt.
    The Twins 74-72 record would have them over 10 games back in every single other division in the game. The geographic location of the team is what's amazing.

The team itself? Hopelessly mediocre? Underperforming?...just about any other unflattering adjective you can throw in there unfortunately.