Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

Huge Thank You To Coach Paul Rhoads

I just wanted to send out a public Thank You to Coach. I am helping out with an Art Auction to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (info below). As part of the auction, I have kinda been gathering some local celebrity art. In the past I had seen coaches draw up plays on a canvas then sign it and they normally go for pretty big bucks. Anyhow, I sent blank canvases to Coach Rhoads, McDermott, Ferentz and Lickliter...

SOOOO, today I get home and on our step was a package from Iowa State Football! Coach drew up their "Rover Dog Defense" You can have your chance to bid on this at:

65 Roses: A Night To Breathe Easy

Friday, September 25th 7pm
    A night of art, music, food and a chance to help those with Cystic Fibrosis breathe easier.

DJ Kelix Williams
    DJ Raj
    THE SHADOW
    Complimentary food by Dos Rios.
    Cash bar.

A silent auction featuring art works of the evening will be the focus of the event as we raise funds for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

Purchase your advance tickets at iowatix.com

Adding tomorrows every day expresses the mission—and results—of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s steadfast efforts to extend the length and quality of life for people with cystic fibrosis (CF).

CF presents daily challenges for approximately 30,000 Americans. But life with the disease is far different today than it was 50, 30, or even 10 years ago.

Perhaps the best evidence that many people with cystic fibrosis are living longer is the fact that more than 40 percent of the CF patient population is now age 18 or older (your peer group).

Recently developed therapies and specialized care have enabled people with CF to gain greater control over their disease. So, children and adults are not only living longer, but also living a better quality of life.

65 Roses" is what some children with cystic fibrosis (CF) call their disease because the words are much easier for them to pronounce.

Mary G. Weiss became a volunteer for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation in 1965 after learning that her three little boys had CF. Her duty was to call every civic club, social and service organization seeking financial support for CF research. Mary's 4-year-old son, Richard, listened closely to his mother as she made each call.

After several calls, Richard came into the room and told his Mom, "I know what you are working for." Mary was dumbstruck because Richard did not know what she was doing, nor did he know that he had cystic fibrosis. With some trepidation, Mary asked, "What am I working for, Richard?" He answered, "You are working for 65 Roses." Mary was speechless.
    He could not see the tears running down Mary's cheeks as she stammered, "Yes Richard, I'm working for 65 Roses."

Since 1965, the term "65 Roses" has been used by children of all ages to describe their disease. But, making it easier to say does not make CF any easier to live with. The "65 Roses" story has captured the hearts and emotions of all who have heard it. The rose, appropriately the ancient symbol of love, has become a symbol of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 392
    Given: 49

Re: Huge Thank You To Coach Paul Rhoads

Very cool. Keep up the good work for a good cause.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's a pic(crappy cell pic), hope to see some of you there (yes, I know it's the same night as Dave Matthews)...

Check out my blog

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,316
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 4

That's awesome. I'd love to have that hanging on my wall.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

What a class act he is. I just hope the good guys (Rhoads and Mac) can get their programs turned around and be at ISU for a long time.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

That's cool stuff. Great idea.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Very cool that he'd take the time to do that. I just very impressed with him and his attitude/support of the Cyclone community.

You can have it Fast, Cheap, Reliable.....Please pick TWO!

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I just wanted to send out a public Thank You to Coach. I am helping out with an Art Auction to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (info below). As part of the auction, I have kinda been gathering some local celebrity art. In the past I had seen coaches draw up plays on a canvas then sign it and they normally go for pretty big bucks. Anyhow, I sent blank canvases to Coach Rhoads, McDermott, Ferentz and Lickliter...

SOOOO, today I get home and on our step was a package from Iowa State Football! Coach drew up their "Rover Dog Defense" You can have your chance to bid on this at:

65 Roses: A Night To Breathe Easy

Friday, September 25th 7pm
    A night of art, music, food and a chance to help those with Cystic Fibrosis breathe easier.

DJ Kelix Williams
    DJ Raj
    THE SHADOW
    Complimentary food by Dos Rios.
    Cash bar.

A silent auction featuring art works of the evening will be the focus of the event as we raise funds for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

Purchase your advance tickets at iowatix.com

Adding tomorrows every day expresses the mission—and results—of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s steadfast efforts to extend the length and quality of life for people with cystic fibrosis (CF).

CF presents daily challenges for approximately 30,000 Americans. But life with the disease is far different today than it was 50, 30, or even 10 years ago.

Perhaps the best evidence that many people with cystic fibrosis are living longer is the fact that more than 40 percent of the CF patient population is now age 18 or older (your peer group).

Recently developed therapies and specialized care have enabled people with CF to gain greater control over their disease. So, children and adults are not only living longer, but also living a better quality of life.

65 Roses" is what some children with cystic fibrosis (CF) call their disease because the words are much easier for them to pronounce.

Mary G. Weiss became a volunteer for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation in 1965 after learning that her three little boys had CF. Her duty was to call every civic club, social and service organization seeking financial support for CF research. Mary's 4-year-old son, Richard, listened closely to his mother as she made each call.

After several calls, Richard came into the room and told his Mom, "I know what you are working for." Mary was dumbstruck because Richard did not know what she was doing, nor did he know that he had cystic fibrosis. With some trepidation, Mary asked, "What am I working for, Richard?" He answered, "You are working for 65 Roses." Mary was speechless.
    He could not see the tears running down Mary's cheeks as she stammered, "Yes Richard, I'm working for 65 Roses."

Since 1965, the term "65 Roses" has been used by children of all ages to describe their disease. But, making it easier to say does not make CF any easier to live with. The "65 Roses" story has captured the hearts and emotions of all who have heard it. The rose, appropriately the ancient symbol of love, has become a symbol of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
    Did you forget to include the location of the event... I can't seem to find it. Maybe I am just reading too fast.

Thank you for helping with this great cause. My wife's little sister has CF, and her family has an annual pasta supper fundraiser, where they raise bunch of money. Part of the supper is an auction, which always includes items signed by ISU coaches and/or players.

I encourage everyone to volunteer or donate for any similar events.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's at the Des Moines Social Club in downtown Des Moines.

Check out my blog

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It is very cool of Coach Rhoads to send that along. It really makes no sense why each coach couldn't take 1-2 minutes to get something simple, yet valuable to someone, done.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by price26 View Post
    It is very cool of Coach Rhoads to send that along. It really makes no sense why each coach couldn't take 1-2 minutes to get something simple, yet valuable to someone, done.

I just sent them out not too long ago, I was suprised by the quick response... I really hope all four coaches respond because I think these can be big money makers for the foundation...

Check out my blog

Thumbs Up

This does not surprise me. Coach Rhoads is a class act all the way. My wife, daughter and I had run into him on campus back over the summer and he was extremely pleasant and friendly. My wife later emailed him and he sent us an autographed photo! When we saw him again at FanFest, I thanked Coach for taking the time to send us the autographed photo. A few days later he emailed my wife again and thanked us for supporting the Cyclones and said what a pleasure it was to meet our entire family. We were extremely impressed with the fact that a coach at a major University would take the time to do that. He clearly "gets it" and is a huge asset to Iowa State.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Thanks for posting this. (and thanks to all who post any of these type of mentions).

As a fan, it's great to hear the examples of what our coaches and players do beyond their primary endeavors. I don't think most of them do it to be recognized - but they should just the same.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by jsheajr View Post
    This does not surprise me. Coach Rhoads is a class act all the way. My wife, daughter and I had run into him on campus back over the summer and he was extremely pleasant and friendly. My wife later emailed him and he sent us an autographed photo! When we saw him again at FanFest, I thanked Coach for taking the time to send us the autographed photo. A few days later he emailed my wife again and thanked us for supporting the Cyclones and said what a pleasure it was to meet our entire family. We were extremely impressed with the fact that a coach at a major University would take the time to do that. He clearly "gets it" and is a huge asset to Iowa State.

Hmmmmm....how good looking is your wife? LOL

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Hmmmmm....how good looking is your wife? LOL
    haha That's great! I think she's gorgeous and I'm not just saying that because she reads the posts on here!