Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 91

Eagles sign Jeff Garcia

I didn't see this posted, but it caught my eye:

Philadelphia Eagles sign Jeff Garcia as insurance for hurt Donovan McNabb - ESPN

So Garcia probably starts Week 2, then what happens in Week 3? I felt like Philly was a favorite to go to the Super Bowl, that was before signing Vick - so what happens when there are 3 experienced QBs playing for the starting job?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 700
    Given: 481

Re: Eagles sign Jeff Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    I didn't see this posted, but it caught my eye:

Philadelphia Eagles sign Jeff Garcia as insurance for hurt Donovan McNabb - ESPN

So Garcia probably starts Week 2, then what happens in Week 3? I felt like Philly was a favorite to go to the Super Bowl, that was before signing Vick - so what happens when there are 3 experienced QBs playing for the starting job?
    Very good signing. Garcia is still familiar with the Eagles' system and participated in Raiders' camp all summer so he's in game shape. It's also a very telling pickup for many reasons. First, it appears the Eagles are trying to trade away a receiver to open up a roster spot for Garcia, which means this signing isn't just for this coming Sunday. Second, it means that the Eagles aren't convinced that McNabb is going to miss just one week. Third, it's a clear indicator that Vick isn't going to be ready to fill the starting QB role come week 3 when he is off suspension. A team like the Eagles doesn't bring in a QB like Garcia and attempt to make roster moves to make him a permanent fixture if they don't sense that they suddenly have serious issues at QB.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Very good signing. Garcia is still familiar with the Eagles' system and participated in Raiders' camp all summer so he's in game shape. It's also a very telling pickup for many reasons. First, it appears the Eagles are trying to trade away a receiver to open up a roster spot for Garcia, which means this signing isn't just for this coming Sunday. Second, it means that the Eagles aren't convinced that McNabb is going to miss just one week. Third, it's a clear indicator that Vick isn't going to be ready to fill the starting QB role come week 3 when he is off suspension. A team like the Eagles doesn't bring in a QB like Garcia and attempt to make roster moves to make him a permanent fixture if they don't sense that they suddenly have serious issues at QB.
    I don't know, I think you might be reading too much into it. Kevin Kolb is taking first team snaps in practice, Vick is on suspension until next week, and they had no other QB on the roster. They needed someone to back up Kolb this week, so why not sign someone who knows their system and also happens to be available?

Now that's not to say that a QB controversy won't develop in Philly, but for right now I think they're just trying to make sure they've got a backup.

Last edited by dustinal; 09-15-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 0

It does sound in the article that Garcia was told that this may not be a long term thing. He says that if it's a week or two weeks or the entire season. From that I would gather that he will be gone once McNabb is back in 2 weeks.