Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Sit back and assess

It has been quite a long time since I have posted. I am not an alumni of Iowa State, but I am indeed a proud supporter of Iowa State athletics. Since last night, I have tried to read most threads and comments after the loss to Iowa, and I want to start this thread for something to think about.

I haver been reading all the posts leading up to this season and specifically this game with Iowa. And I have to tell you that I was impressed with the abslolute love and loyalty you have for the Cyclones, and how that love and loyalty carried over to your enthusiasm on predictions for wither games or the season. Doggone near everyone of us wanted to beat Iowa, no question about it. And then Kent State, Army, etc.

I am in business, and I know for a fact that it takes alot of hard work, planning, communication, and getting the right people on board to "carry out your game plan". Sports are no different. And football take slomger than any other sport I know simply because of the sheer numbers. Counting kickers, long snappers, and other "once in awhile players", it takes 25 people to start and play, and then you need at least 20 behind them to give yourself some security of continuity if someone gets hurt.

So looking at this pragmatically, it is easy to understand why we are all so hungry to win and go to bowls, because a.) it is fun and b.) we haven'tdone it in quite sometime. But this program is down, and they are now putting a business like approach to rebuilding it. So to rebuild that, first of all you need MONEY. That money is ascertained either from direct contributions or ticket sales. Corporate sponsorships also play a major role. Secondly, you need a game plan. That begins with the hiring of the CEO ( Coach Rhoades ). Your CEO has to have impeccable charecter, and I believe that almost everyone on here believes that to be the truth. Once your CEO is in position, then he has to get the right people on board with him to execute the plan. That means the right coaches aqnd recruiting the right players. And the whole time he is dealing with all these functions, the CEO somehow has to project the image that they are heading down the right path, and convince us ( the fans and sponsors ) that the only thing they lack is TIME.

Here is where we need to come to the table. Although I care whether they beat Kent State, it isn't going to decide whether I believe in this staff to get the job done. Because I do. And regardless whether we beat Kent State or not, we need to be there in Ames when we play Army. And all the other home games. My personal opinion is that something has to change permenantly at Iowa State and that is our attitudes. We have to be Cyclones through and through. If the dobber gets down, then take a break from it, but when you come back, you need to have the same amount of enthusiasm as you did this past week. WE HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO WIN FIRST, AND WIN THE RIGHT WAY. Then the players and coaches put it on the line to do the same.

But when we make comments like "if we lose to Kent State, then our season is over" it is all wrong. There is a thing in the sports world called KARMA, and right now we don't have it. And KARMA isn't something that happens overnight. It is built one brick at a time as well. The University of Iowa had no KARMA during the 60's and 70's. Their program was pathetic. Then a man named Hayden Fry came along and he changed that Karma, just like a guy named Johnny Orr did Iowa State basketball.

Don't give up on this team, stay enthusiastic even if they go 3-9. They after all are YOUR TEAM. Then expect the CEO to go maybe 4-8 or 5-7 next year, maybe .500 after that, then your expectations should rise for what we want now. That is how you build a business the correct way.

Sorry for the long post. But I love this program as much as you, and now is NOT the time to throw anyone under the bus, or give up if it doesn't go as you hoped. That is the time to get after it, and help out in any way possible. GO CYCLONES

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Re: Sit back and assess

While I agree with your post for the most part. There is one major problem. You can only sell hope for so long. We have been selling hope for the last 5 years and a large majority of Cyclone fans have stayed very loyal during that time span. I think we averaged around 40,000 fans last year for a 2-10 football team. How many other teams around the nation that finished 2-10 had that kind of loyalty from their fan base? ISU football has been part of a vicious cycle for along time. We can't win because we don't have good enough players. We don't have good enough players because we can't win. We can't be competitive because we don't have the budget, we don't have the budget because we aren't competitive. However, I have not lost hope. Look at Kansas football now. They really have it rolling. Mangino was very close to being fired and then they had the breakout seasons they needed. Is ISU a "sleeping giant" of a program that can breakout and have the substained success of a program like Wisconsin. Maybe, maybe not. Cyclone fans are only asking for a glimmer of hope and that is why this season is so important.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 702
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. But the fact the this is the third CEO in 4 years. I also agree Cyclone fans for the most part are loyal. I do however think that we are somewhat quick to be negative the first time something positive doesn't happen. Just my thoughts.

Having 40,000 butts in seats during a bad season speaks well, and players are going to see that. If we have the right CEO in place now, then I think we will get there. Kansas is an excellent example.

Stay loyal and loud.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by yoteforever View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. But the fact the this is the third CEO in 4 years. I also agree Cyclone fans for the most part are loyal. I do however think that we are somewhat quick to be negative the first time something positive doesn't happen. Just my thoughts.

Having 40,000 butts in seats during a bad season speaks well, and players are going to see that. If we have the right CEO in place now, then I think we will get there. Kansas is an excellent example.
    Sorry, the responsibility is not on the fans. It ALL depends on if you hire the right coach. That's it. Cyclone fan support and "buy-in" is not the problem.
    Kansas is a great example - of an apathetic fan base waking up when they hire the right coach, and started winning. Kansas fans don't "deserve" a winner. Even now, they "wish" they had our fan base.
    Cal is a another great example - an apathetic fan base waking up when they hire the right coach.
    Baylor looks to be another.
    Cyclone fans, with their support over the years, deserve a winner a lot more than many other fans bases do.
    The fans' attitudes here is not a problem. Winning only happens, as it does on every campus, if the right coach is hired.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 489
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

I think the main issue with being bad this year is we have been really bad the last 3 years. Then people are expecting a bad year this year.
    Then the next 2 years we get to play teams like Utah, UCONN, Texas, OU, TT, Nebraska, KU and Iowa. Don't see much there. That is the problem. I will be patient, but that is what people are thinking.

Last edited by HandSanitizer; 09-14-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 273
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good post. I'm a true believer even though I'm very impatient. I believe if Kansas St. could do it with Snyder in the 90's and Kansas can do it with Mangino now, then we can and will do it with Rhoads. A win against Kent state, Army and K-state would make all the pain of losing to Iowa go away (almost). We still have an opportunity to win 5 or 6 games this years.

Loyal Sons for ever True

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 322

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd88 View Post
    Good post. I'm a true believer even though I'm very impatient. I believe if Kansas St. could do it with Snyder in the 90's and Kansas can do it with Mangino now, then we can and will do it with Rhoads. A win against Kent state, Army and K-state would make all the pain of losing to Iowa go away (almost). We still have an opportunity to win 5 or 6 games this years.
    It would at the very least force Cyclone Nation to put their money where their mouths (or, in this case, fingers) are, as at least 85% of CF posters said they'd trade a loss to Iowa for wins against Kent St and Army. Granted, we've got to get through Kent St first, and if we play them the way we played Iowa last week this probably won't end up happening. But we shall see...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 48

I'm down for losing to iowa every year if it means a bowl game. I hate losing to them but guess what? It's one game that shouldn't determine the entire season. I look for a solid rebound this week and ISU gets their first road win in 43 years.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 261
    Given: 31

We played poorly against Iowa and lost. but a loss is a loss is a loss. Whether it be by 3 points or 33 points. The Iowa game was a game I felt we could have possibly won if we played decently. But we didn't. We lost. Get over it. The only way this loss gets worse is if we dwell on it and let it affect our play against Kent State and onward.

We need to put this loss behind us. Learn from our mistakes and move on. I remember a few years back and the Lakers were absolutely blown out by the Celtics in Game 1 of the Finals that year. Around a 40 point loss. Rather than dwell on the loss, they turned things around and won a championship.

We need to prepare ourselves mentally to deal with the adversity of losing and putting it behind us. We need to win this next game. We need a win on the road badly. So just play ball. Don't get uptight. The world will not end. Just play your game and let the chips fall where they may.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

It's a great message but I don't agree with your CEO having to have great character. In most companies and sports maybe that's true, but in football it seems that the CEO of a lot of winning teams could have very questionable character. I'm not sure character is what matters but it would be nice. If you aren't one of the top teams then you need a coach that can find the talent that others missed and be able to develop that talent - plain and simple. Along with that you have to be able to put a staff together that can make the right decisions on game day. You have to give your coach at least 4 years to see if he can develop untapped talent.

I think KSU is good example of a team that succeeded in football without a great budget. KU is probably not a good example because they were able to receive tons of money from donations and Bball and use that money to help football. Most schools just don't have that kind of resource.