Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Parents and children

What is the ideal relationship between parents and children? This relationship should be more severe, parents imposing their terms automatically, or should it be a friendship? In the latter case, if the child benefit from parents' indulgence and do something stupid? I know that the situation varies from case to case, but I speak in general. My wife and I get ready to be parents again, we want to adopt for the first time, and therefore we want more opinions. So, what do you think?

Last edited by green1706; 09-14-2009 at 01:22 PM.
    Love my kids

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 412
    Given: 284

Re: Parents and children

They should feel comfortable to come to you for anything, but should also respect you as authority. (Its a fine line, but you can judge it by how they respond) However like a student in class, each child learns differently. Saying no without explaining why is a huge mistake. I hated that about my parents. I was much more responsive to being given rational reasoning.

Last edited by bos; 09-14-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

Re: Parents and children

I think you have to have a good balance of both. If you are too authoritative they'll just rebel. If you are too friendly they'll walk all over you. I see it with my own neices and nephews and the ones who have parents that are so inconsistent with authority and punishment have kids that run wild and are always in trouble for something every time the family is together. The other kids if they act up at all a stern look and a warning from mom and dad and they straighten right up because they know they will be punished if they don't.

Go Cubs Go!