Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 112

New Pearl Jam Album: Backspacer

Just found a copy of it. Still listening to it, havent made it all the way through. Not sure what to think about it. It most certainly is not Ten...heck, its not anything like any Pearl Jam except their last album. IMO the songs are really kinda plain and all sound alike so far. I havent looked up the lyrics but I'm sure they are great as always.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 589
    Given: 425

Re: New Pearl Jam Album: Backspacer

You cant expect every album to sound similar. If an artist doesnt evolve and try new things they fade away.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

You part of the Ten club?

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    You cant expect every album to sound similar. If an artist doesnt evolve and try new things they fade away.
    Well thats not quite what I was getting at...it was more trying to make a comparison for people. I am absolutely a Pearl Jam fan and I'm not trying to say this album is bad by any means...just trying to find similarities or comparisons.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,292
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Cybyassociation View Post
    Just found a copy of it. Still listening to it, havent made it all the way through. Not sure what to think about it. It most certainly is not Ten...heck, its not anything like any Pearl Jam except their last album. IMO the songs are really kinda plain and all sound alike so far. I havent looked up the lyrics but I'm sure they are great as always.
    I love Pearl Jam. I would have Eddie Vedder's babies, with or without his permission. But I am extremely glad not every album they've put out is exactly like Ten. In fact, Ten isn't even my favorite album. Yield is. So far, I've only heard the first single from the new album, but I've really enjoyed it.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My brothers getting a copy sometime soon..his coach down at William Penn is part of that club. I cant wait to hear it

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well thats not quite what I was getting at...it was more trying to make a comparison for people. I am absolutely a Pearl Jam fan and I'm not trying to say this album is bad by any means...just trying to find similarities or comparisons.

Good good, wasnt sure. I get sick of people saying that their new stuff isnt as good as ten. They are all very different. There is a reason they still sell out arenas.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    I love Pearl Jam. I would have Eddie Vedder's babies, with or without his permission. But I am extremely glad not every album they've put out is exactly like Ten. In fact, Ten isn't even my favorite album. Yield is. So far, I've only heard the first single from the new album, but I've really enjoyed it.

6-12

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Let me get all the way through and I'll post how I feel about each song...once I got through the first 4 tracks....they started really changin things up. The first four track are all really similar to their Fixer single...then things get changed up. I like it. "Just Breathe" IMO sounds a lot like Vedder's material from Into the Wild.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

They sound like pre-ten songs, like the demos and some of the later various b-sides.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Let me get all the way through and I'll post how I feel about each song...once I got through the first 4 tracks....they started really changin things up. The first four track are all really similar to their Fixer single...then things get changed up. I like it. "Just Breathe" IMO sounds a lot like Vedder's material from Into the Wild.
    Very solid song. I have listened to the Into The Wild soundtrack a million times.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

In short:

1. Gotta See My Friend: Fast paced. Pretty powerful. A great opening track.

2. Got Some: Face paced. Really like the drums in the breakdown.

3. The Fixer: The single. You've probably heard it if you were interested enough to open this thread. I didnt like it at first but Vedders vocals sucked me in like always.

4. Johnny Guitar: Fast paced like the first three. IMO not the best track on the album. Does have a cool guitar effect though.

5. Just Breathe: My favorite track on the album after one listen. Slow. Like I said earlier, a lot similar to Into the Wild songs.

6. Amongst the Waves: Medium paced? Cool vibe of the song. From Just Breathe on, a lot of the songs feature Vedder's vocals more than the instruments which IMO is cool.

7. Unknown Thoughts: Solid. Starts slower works up to a nice pace with a great beat. Piano rock! Like I said...Solid. Just great Pearl Jam.

8. Supersonic: Fast again with a great riff/solo in the breakdown. I thought when it started off it was just going to be another fast song like the first three or four but the breakdown made this song for me.

9. Speed of Sound: Certainly not the Coldplay song. However the piano's do come out again. Great melody. Vedder hasn't lost his ability to "croon".

10: Force of Nature: Kind of a "poppy/rock" song. A nice guitar solo in there but nothing really spectacular out of this song.

11. The End: No, not the Doors song. Just Eddie, a guitar and some strings at the end. Some fantastic lyrics. An amazing song to end the record. I think I've listened to it 4 times in a row now. "...friends they come and go. People change as does everything. I just want to grow old..." Great song.

Overall: 7/10 This is just after one listen, so take it for what its worth. A really good album. After however many years its been for Pearl Jam, they can still make a great album (I think they produced and made this one on their own?). They still know how to really rock it while can still steal my heart with words and vocals like the closing song. I'll buy it when it comes out to support them of course. If you're a Pearl Jam fan, I suggest you do the same. If youre not a Pearl Jam fan or have never listened to them, this might just be the record for you!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

In short:

1. Gotta See My Friend: Fast paced. Pretty powerful. A great opening track.

2. Got Some: Face paced. Really like the drums in the breakdown.

3. The Fixer: The single. You've probably heard it if you were interested enough to open this thread. I didnt like it at first but Vedders vocals sucked me in like always.

4. Johnny Guitar: Fast paced like the first three. IMO not the best track on the album. Does have a cool guitar effect though.

5. Just Breathe: My favorite track on the album after one listen. Slow. Like I said earlier, a lot similar to Into the Wild songs.

6. Amongst the Waves: Medium paced? Cool vibe of the song. From Just Breathe on, a lot of the songs feature Vedder's vocals more than the instruments which IMO is cool.

7. Unknown Thoughts: Solid. Starts slower works up to a nice pace with a great beat. Piano rock! Like I said...Solid. Just great Pearl Jam.

8. Supersonic: Fast again with a great riff/solo in the breakdown. I thought when it started off it was just going to be another fast song like the first three or four but the breakdown made this song for me.

9. Speed of Sound: Certainly not the Coldplay song. However the piano's do come out again. Great melody. Vedder hasn't lost his ability to "croon".

10: Force of Nature: Kind of a "poppy/rock" song. A nice guitar solo in there but nothing really spectacular out of this song.

11. The End: No, not the Doors song. Just Eddie, a guitar and some strings at the end. Some fantastic lyrics. An amazing song to end the record. I think I've listened to it 4 times in a row now. "...friends they come and go. People change as does everything. I just want to grow old..." Great song.

Overall: 7/10 This is just after one listen, so take it for what its worth. A really good album. After however many years its been for Pearl Jam, they can still make a great album (I think they produced and made this one on their own?). They still know how to really rock it while can still steal my heart with words and vocals like the closing song. I'll buy it when it comes out to support them of course. If you're a Pearl Jam fan, I suggest you do the same. If youre not a Pearl Jam fan or have never listened to them, this might just be the record for you!
    I enjoyed the fixer..if songs on here are anything like that ill love it

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 122

I'm on my first listen. Getting to "Just Breathe" right now. Amazing song. I really like every album of PJ's, but I would say Binaural and Riot Act are quite a bit below the rest. There are some great tracks on both of those albums, but A LOT of filler too. Out of the first 5 on Backspacer, I wouldn't call any filler. "Gonna See My Friend" is awesome, and "Got Some" lives up to the potential I felt it had after the Letterman performance. "The Fixer" is one of the catchiest songs they've done, and will likely be their most popular single in a few albums. Very good album.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.