Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 0

Bad games from Arnaud, Herman, and Rhoads yesterday

Obviously we all realize that Arnaud had the worst game of his life yesterday... no way to sugarcoat it... but he's still a good QB... and he's still our starter. He stared down each and every throw, and threw into double coverage all day long. It was hard to figure out?

However, I would also say that Herman and Rhoads deserve bad grades yesterday as well, and they would probably be the first to admit it.

Rhoads made a horrible decision to do that onside kick IMO. We had Iowa down 3-0, and our defense was actually keeping us in the ballgame up until that point. Iowa was just starting to look a bit tired and momentum was clearly on our side after Mahoney boots that FG. The crowd was jacked! And in one single instant... all that was lost on the onside kick. The crowd was silent, the ISU players heads dropped, and momentum and life was given back to Iowa on a play we did not have to make. It was an extremely risky call.... and it backfired badly.

As for Herman... I still cannot understand why we had Arnaud throwing into double and triple coverages when at the half we were averaging 6-7 yds per carry on the ground with ARob and Austen? I cannot remember the last time I saw an ISU team run like that on Iowa? So after ripping off chunks of yards on the ground, why lob a pass 25 yds down the field into double coverage? We should have ran, ran, ran... until Iowa was forced to bring guys like Sash and Greenwood up to stop our run. Then start torching them with the pass.

So instead of putting all the blame on Austen today.... just remember that Herman and Rhoads did not put him in the best position to win the game either. We were outcoached big time yesterday.

I'm confident that Arnaud, Rhoads, and Herman will all come back stronger next week. They are all great people, and they are all good at what they do. They just had a really bad day at the office yesterday. We're still working out the kinks of the new staff and offensive and defensive schemes. It will get better. Iowa had a bad day against UNI, and we had a bad day yesterday.... it happens.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Re: Bad games from Arnaud, Herman, and Rhoads yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Obviously we all realize that Arnaud had the worst game of his life yesterday... no way to sugarcoat it... but he's still a good QB... and he's still our starter. He stared down each and every throw, and threw into double coverage all day long. It was hard to figure out?

However, I would also say that Herman and Rhoads deserve bad grades yesterday as well, and they would probably be the first to admit it.

Rhoads made a horrible decision to do that onside kick IMO. We had Iowa down 3-0, and our defense was actually keeping us in the ballgame up until that point. Iowa was just starting to look a bit tired and momentum was clearly on our side after Mahoney boots that FG. The crowd was jacked! And in one single instant... all that was lost on the onside kick. The crowd was silent, the ISU players heads dropped, and momentum and life was given back to Iowa on a play we did not have to make. It was an extremely risky call.... and it backfired badly.

As for Herman... I still cannot understand why we had Arnaud throwing into double and triple coverages when at the half we were averaging 6-7 yds per carry on the ground with ARob and Austen? I cannot remember the last time I saw an ISU team run like that on Iowa? So after ripping off chunks of yards on the ground, why lob a pass 25 yds down the field into double coverage? We should have ran, ran, ran... until Iowa was forced to bring guys like Sash and Greenwood up to stop our run. Then start torching them with the pass.

So instead of putting all the blame on Austen today.... just remember that Herman and Rhoads did not put him in the best position to win the game either. We were outcoached big time yesterday.

I'm confident that Arnaud, Rhoads, and Herman will all come back stronger next week. They are all great people, and they are all good at what they do. They just had a really bad day at the office yesterday. We're still working out the kinks of the new staff and offensive and defensive schemes. It will get better. Iowa had a bad day against UNI, and we had a bad day yesterday.... it happens.
    Do you really think that Herman had AA throwing into double and triple coverage? The quarterback makes the reads, then passes or runs if it's not there. If your QB can't do that, there is nothing Herman can do other than call a running play, and that's what he did. Don't lay the blame on the OC, when he's not the one on the field.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Agreed. Good post that I appreciate now that I am calming down. I would like to see the way the onside kick was even executed.....Not sure where the hawk player who recovered it was, but if he was past the line of possession, then we had a guy right there who could have gotten it too, but he was trying to block his guy and crash the front guy...like they are coached to do, but with absolutely no instincts. Where was the Cyclone jumper behind this crasher to get the ball?? I mean the kick was there, our guys just executed horribly. Classic cyclone. They ran the play, but they didn't play football. No instincts, no fun, no joy, no love. I mean the kick our guy in the back while the Hawkeye he was blocking actually got the ball! Our guy didn't have the savvy to realize the ball was there, and he didn't even level the block properly. Just observations that I have been seeing since our last good team in 2005

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    Do you really think that Herman had AA throwing into double and triple coverage? The quarterback makes the reads, then passes or runs if it's not there. If your QB can't do that, there is nothing Herman can do other than call a running play, and that's what he did. Don't lay the blame on the OC, when he's not the one on the field.
    I think the idea here is that the lack of exploiting the run allowed Iowa to be in double and triple coverage.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    Explain why we're passing when Iowa has their DBs back in basically a prevent defense and we're ripping off huge chunks of yards on the ground? Iowa was playing back and giving us the run for the most part... they even admitted as much after the game. But 6 yards a play on the ground wasn't good enough for us... we had to force the mid to long passes for some reason? We played right into what they wanted.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    I think the idea here is that the lack of exploiting the run allowed Iowa to be in double and triple coverage.
    Exactly. At the half, ISU had TWICE as many rushing yards as Iowa did. I couldn't believe my eyes. Has that EVER happened? They were giving us the run. They just didn't want to get beat deep.

Iowa had twice as many passing yards at the half than we did. Basically the exact opposite of what everyone thought would happen was happening. We could run the ball... and Iowa couldn't. That should lead to success usually, but we kept trying to throw it into all their coverage.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 225
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

It was the dumbest call in coaching history! For many reasons...

1. We were winning
    2. Out d was playing solid
    3. It was way to risky (field position) (Momentem)
    4. WE HAD NO REASON TO DO IT!!!!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I agree, we got out-coached, big-time.

You could tell right away that both QB's were struggling. I'm not sure we would have won, we never even got inside the Red Zone.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

I thought it was a really gutsy call by Rhoads and the Iowa lineman even admited it was a surprise. It did not work, but if it would have everbody would be saying how great a call it was.

It certainly hurt the mood of the game, but that wasn't the game killer. Our execution the rest of the game was.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 46

Plus Banks (I think it was banks) late tackle the next play that just gave away the rest of the field sucked.

Thumbs Up

Two quick observations here:

1. There is no question the onside kick was a horrible, horrible call. I would have said that even if ISU would have pulled it off. At that point in the game Iowa State was at least playing even with Iowa and who knows, possibly even outplaying the Hawkeyes, especially on the defensive side of the ball. When you are basically in a standoff and kick a field goal to take the lead is not the time to try an onside kick. I said to my wife at the time, "that may be the play the turns the tide for Iowa." I'm not saying that it did, but it certainly gave Iowa some energy at exactly the time they needed it.

2. With regards to Herman and Arnaud, what happened yesterday is unfortunately what happens all too often when you adopt a "pass happy" style of play. Yes, there is a school of thought that says you can overcome lesser talent with a Herman style of offense, but I don't care how you slice it, if you can't run the ball, you will never win consistently in college football. In the first half, it did appear that Iowa State was having some success on the ground, but when your offensive game plan says you are going to throw the football, that's what you're going to do. And it came back to bite the Cyclones. Arnaud looked like an average to below average quarterback yesterday, but at least to a certain extent, he was very much a victim of the offensive system (not to mention the score, as the game wore on). I'm not saying Herman can't coach, I just don't like his style of offense.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    Two quick observations here:

1. There is no question the onside kick was a horrible, horrible call. I would have said that even if ISU would have pulled it off. At that point in the game Iowa State was at least playing even with Iowa and who knows, possibly even outplaying the Hawkeyes, especially on the defensive side of the ball. When you are basically in a standoff and kick a field goal to take the lead is not the time to try an onside kick. I said to my wife at the time, "that may be the play the turns the tide for Iowa." I'm not saying that it did, but it certainly gave Iowa some energy at exactly the time they needed it.

2. With regards to Herman and Arnaud, what happened yesterday is unfortunately what happens all too often when you adopt a "pass happy" style of play. Yes, there is a school of thought that says you can overcome lesser talent with a Herman style of offense, but I don't care how you slice it, if you can't run the ball, you will never win consistently in college football. In the first half, it did appear that Iowa State was having some success on the ground, but when your offensive game plan says you are going to throw the football, that's what you're going to do. And it came back to bite the Cyclones. Arnaud looked like an average to below average quarterback yesterday, but at least to a certain extent, he was very much a victim of the offensive system (not to mention the score, as the game wore on). I'm not saying Herman can't coach, I just don't like his style of offense.
    I tend to agree with everything you said.

After the ISU-Iowa game yesterday, I watched Michigan-ND. Why can't we run the offense that Michigan runs? They mix our offense with a pro style offense it seems. Sometimes they line up just like we do, in shotgun, and Forcier can hand it off or take it himself... just like Arnaud does. But other times Forcier is under center and they run an offense like Iowa runs. They really mix it up a lot. Just a question?

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    And it came back to bite the Cyclones. Arnaud looked like an average to below average quarterback yesterday, but at least to a certain extent, he was very much a victim of the offensive system (not to mention the score, as the game wore on). I'm not saying Herman can't coach, I just don't like his style of offense.
    Well then you better not watch many Big 12 teams, because practically the whole conference is playing it.

What happened yesterday was a team executing poorly, but 2nd game with a new coaches and system, I for one am giving them a break.

Walk On
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Austen does have 10 INTs in his last 6 games. So it wasn't like he has ever been really good at taking care of the ball....

Again it was just one of those things Cyclone fans would hope to change from one season to the next. When it doesn't happen right away, those people are all disappointed.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 91

I think all coaches are able and willing to make changes should their plan not work right. However, after game 2 I dont think they should abandon anything yet until they have a chance to work out the kinks.