Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,208
    Given: 133

Wow, the sun actually rose today!

Is this really any different then what most predicted? Don't get me wrong, I'm just as upset about this loss as anyone else, but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't change how I viewed the season. I had us going 3-1 in the non-conference, losing to Iowa, then beating K-State and Colorado in the Big XII, giving us a 5-7 record. Nothing about yesterday has changed that opinion for me.

I think most on here said ISU would go 3-1 in non-conference as well, with a loss to either Iowa or Kent State.

I don't think McFarland is as good as Herman. The schemes work, I just can't believe so many have forgotten that this is only our second game with this new offense.

The defense actually isn't as bad as I thought. That being said, if Stanzi could hit an open man, we probably would have lost by another two or three touchdowns due to miscommunications in the defensive backfield.

We played about as bad of a game as we could have. 6 turnovers and about a thousand penalties will put any team in it's casket.

That being said, my final prediction of 5-7 shouldn't change, just as my prediction that Iowa would finish 7-5, 8-4 never changed either. Iowa is a better coached team, and it shows (as it should, since they haven't had any major coaching changes in ten years).

I don't know. I think too many of you put too much into that UNI game. Did my confidence grow when I saw the score? Yes, but I still certainly wasn't EXPECTING us to win this game yesterday.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 809

Re: Wow, the sun actually rose today!

Meh it's rainy as hell down here and I've got a hangover from hell.....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 134

Its fine (I guess) to not have expected a win yesterday. But do you think its acceptable that yet again, for the third game in a row against the Hocks, that we did not get into the end zone? Do you think its acceptable that it didn't appear many adjustments were made to the offense to counter what Iowa was doing on defense?

You may not have expected a win, but did you expect or find it acceptable to lose by 5 TD's to a porous Iowa team, at home?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 595
    Given: 365

Losing I can handle. I hate it, irks me every time, but you're not going to win every game.

Not getting into the end zone is frustrating but we've won that way before.

The thing that is upsetting is the way we lost to a team that is just not great. Iowa is not bad, but I don't see them as a great team that we should look so inept against. Our offense completely melted down in the passing game. It was pathetic in all aspects except for pass protection.

And this is supposed to be the strength of the team. THAT is why so many are upset and the educated fans have a very bleak outlook on the season.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Its fine (I guess) to not have expected a win yesterday. But do you think its acceptable that yet again, for the third game in a row against the Hocks, that we did not get into the end zone? Do you think its acceptable that it didn't appear many adjustments were made to the offense to counter what Iowa was doing on defense?

You may not have expected a win, but did you expect or find it acceptable to lose by 5 TD's to a porous Iowa team, at home?
    Did I ever say it was acceptable? If you re-read it, the whole point is that this single game doesn't really change anything for the season. I see people saying that this coaching staff is worse than Geno's staff and think that is absolutely ridiculous.

You say there were no offensive adjustments after the half? We came out running the ball. A-Rob fumbled, Iowa got it back, scored another touchdown and we were down by three touchdowns. You can't continue running the ball, regardless of how successful you've been with it, if you're down three scores. You've got to put the ball in the air to pick up more yards faster. Unfortunately, the Hawkeyes knew this and could sit seven guys back in coverage the rest of the game.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Losing I can handle. I hate it, irks me every time, but you're not going to win every game.

Not getting into the end zone is frustrating but we've won that way before.

The thing that is upsetting is the way we lost to a team that is just not great. Iowa is not bad, but I don't see them as a great team that we should look so inept against. Our offense completely melted down in the passing game. It was pathetic in all aspects except for pass protection.

And this is supposed to be the strength of the team. THAT is why so many are upset and the educated fans have a very bleak outlook on the season.
    Iowa=not a bad team. Iowa State equals=pretty bad team. Usually the not bad team will beat the pretty bad team.

The "educated" fans should have never had that high of expectations for this season anyway. We're coming off a 2-10 season with a brand new coaching staff and offensive ana schemes. What about that would make "educated" fans think we would go bowling, or whatever? I believe coach can take us to highs we've never had before, but I certainly didn't expect it to happen this year, or next, for that matter.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,326
    Given: 273

If it was just a "bad game" for Arnaud and our receivers, than maybe. I also had ISU going 3-1 in the first 4 games, figuring they would lose to Iowa, but I didnt figure they would lose in the fashion they did.

My problem is, I see it as a sign of things to come this year with the new offense for this season. Hopefully they prove me wrong, but yesterday pretty much made me throw up what ever amount of optimism I had for ISU this season.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 134

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    Did I ever say it was acceptable? If you re-read it, the whole point is that this single game doesn't really change anything for the season. I see people saying that this coaching staff is worse than Geno's staff and think that is absolutely ridiculous.

You say there were no offensive adjustments after the half? We came out running the ball. A-Rob fumbled, Iowa got it back, scored another touchdown and we were down by three touchdowns. You can't continue running the ball, regardless of how successful you've been with it, if you're down three scores. You've got to put the ball in the air to pick up more yards faster. Unfortunately, the Hawkeyes knew this and could sit seven guys back in coverage the rest of the game.
    I don't believe this staff is worse than Geno's staff. We had 24 games to see how bad Geno's staff was, we're only 2 games into this staff's tenure, far too early to tell anything definitively.

I agree that running the ball at the beginning of the second half was the way to go. I thought we should have been moving toward that in the first half when it was obvious that the dink and dunk passes weren't there. Iowa's defense was standing back, staying in their lanes and giving us 4-5 yards per play if we were going to keep it on the ground. We should have been taking them up on it to force them to change their defensive scheme.

Screen passes and quick slants don't work when the linebackers and safeties are staying back in their lanes and not blitzing. I'm willing to give the coaches a pass for now because I think its obvious that the timing of the offense is still being worked on and they were hamstrung by AA throwing to the wrong jerseys all day.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    But do you think its acceptable that yet again, for the third game in a row against the Hocks, that we did not get into the end zone?
    It's the Ghost of Dan McCarney. We have not scored a TD against Iowa since he was fired.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    It's the Ghost of Dan McCarney. We have not scored a TD against Iowa since he was fired.

Wow. Didn't realize that. Weird stat.

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Everybody, all together now...

The sun'll come out tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow....or however that stupid song goes.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,625
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wx4Cy View Post
    Everybody, all together now...

The sun'll come out tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow....or however that stupid song goes.
    Really Daddy Warbucks?

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,069
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    Wow, the sun actually rose today!
    Link?

"Explode and tear this whole town apart
    Take a knife and cut this pain from my heart
    Find somebody itching for something to start"

"The Promised Land" Bruce Springsteen

Walk On
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, it was a rough outing in the way things went. But, I will still wear my Cyclone gear today proudly. I'd rather hold my head high with the pride of an ISU education than hold it high falsely with the arrogance of a Cockeye win.

There can be only one.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 7

Your never as bad as you look. I still think this team wins another 4 games.

Last edited by CyForPresident; 09-13-2009 at 01:32 PM.