Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 53

Wegher...

Wow, was he not the real deal, I think they held him out of game one verse UNI on purpose....

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 10

re: Wegher...

Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    Wow, was he not the real deal, I think they held him out of game one verse UNI on purpose....
    Wegher...and he had been nursing an injury during camp and he got passed up by some others.

Watch it man there's a beverage here!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Yeah he is good. Our defense made him look like an All American yesterday, but he is definately good.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 776
    Given: 620

We will see as time progresses. Our worn out D didnt make him work.

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 53

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    Yeah he is good. Our defense made him look like an All American yesterday, but he is definately good.
    Our defense may have made him look great but I thought he was 100x better then Omeara and Robinson... Our TO beat us but he put the game away....

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 489

He looks like he could be a good one... although the vast majority of his yards came when our defense was worn out and had given up.

Had Stanzi played like Austen yesterday, and Austen played like Stanzi... the score would have been reversed. Having 6 turnovers, we should have lost even worse than we did.

And Iowa didn't force any of Austen's 4 INTs.

Starter
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    No doubt he is good, but he also had fresh legs. Our D was on the field the entire game!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 38

Wedgie looked decent, but we were a beaten team by the time the bulk of his carries came.

I'll reserve judgment until he does it in a few games.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

Re: Wegher...

Brandon Wegher reminded me of Evan Royster yesterday with his style of running. That IS NOT to say he is Evan Royster good yet, just that their style of running is very similar.

Last season, when PSU played Iowa, I was blown away by the patience displayed by Evan Royster, and his ability to use his hips and quick feet to make guys miss. He was an RB that would take what the defense gave him and hit the hole hard every time for 4 or 5 yards....he isn't the kind of RB that went for the home run on every play.

Brandon's field vision/patience looked incredible for a true freshmen yesterday...for those saying it was entirely due to the ISU defense wearing down, you need to go back and watch the first half....he looked FAR better than Robinson in the first half running the ball. He knows how to wait for a hole to open up in the zone blocking scheme that Iowa incorporates, Robinson doesn't. Also, does anyone else remember that freakishly athletic grab he made when Stanzi dumped the ball off? Also, the kid always seems to fall forward while getting tackled, getting an extra 2 or 3 yards that most RB's don't get. Further, he runs REALLY hard...he isn't an RB that will go down after an arm tackle.

Wegher is a big time athlete....for all you ISU fans who say to ignore Iowa recruits and go for Texas/Florida guys - Brandon Wegher and Keenan Davis are going to make you eat your words.

The only criticism I'd have of Wegher was we didn't see his burst yesterday....of course, he was never really in the open field, so he never really had the opportunity to turn it on....nonetheless, Iowa has found their #1 RB for the rest of the season.....Jeff Brinson will be the #2 IMO, and Iowa will be more than fine at RB once their OL gets completely healthy and gels (assuming no more injuries to either position).

Last edited by hawkfan; 09-13-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 489

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    Brandon Wegher reminded me of Evan Royster yesterday with his style of running. That IS NOT to say he is Evan Royster good yet, just that their style of running is very similar.

Last season, when PSU played Iowa, I was blown away by the patience displayed by Evan Royster, and his ability to use his hips and quick feet to make guys miss. He was an RB that would take what the defense gave him and hit the hole hard every time for 4 or 5 yards....he isn't the kind of RB that went for the home run on every play.

Brandon's field vision/patience looked incredible for a true freshmen yesterday...for those saying it was entirely due to the ISU defense wearing down, you need to go back and watch the first half....he looked FAR better than Robinson in the first half running the ball. He knows how to wait for a hole to open up in the zone blocking scheme that Iowa incorporates, Robinson doesn't. Also, does anyone else remember that freakishly athletic grab he made when Stanzi dumped the ball off? Also, the kid always seems to fall forward while getting tackled, getting an extra 2 or 3 yards that most RB's don't get. Further, he runs REALLY hard...he isn't an RB that will go down after an arm tackle.

Wegher is a big time athlete....for all you ISU fans who say to ignore Iowa recruits and go for Texas/Florida guys - Brandon Wegher and Keenan Davis are going to make you eat your words.

The only criticism I'd have of Wegher was we didn't see his burst yesterday....of course, he was never really in the open field, so he never really had the opportunity to turn it on....nonetheless, Iowa has found their #1 RB for the rest of the season.....Jeff Brinson will be the #2 IMO, and Iowa will be more than fine at RB once their OL gets completely healthy and gels (assuming no more injuries to either position).
    How many of Wegher's yards were in the 2nd half when the game was basically over? A LOT. Not to say he didn't look good, he did, but it was against a worn out and defeated ISU defense at the time.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    How many of Wegher's yards were in the 2nd half when the game was basically over? A LOT. Not to say he didn't look good, he did, but it was against a worn out and defeated ISU defense at the time.
    I agree with you, but I'm saying go back and watch him in the first half...when ISU was still very much in the game....and I bet he still averaged 5 YPC, and the line wasn't performing really great in that first half. It isn't necessarily the yards he got, it was how he got them that impressed me....he is so fluid when he runs the ball, that is how you know he is going to be a good one.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 38

FYI...we wanted Wedgie. Just didn't happen for us. I'd take him in a heartbeat. That said...he's not the next Tim Dwight yet.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 651
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Agreed on most accounts, I think a lot of Iowa fans knew he would be good, but just didn't know when. It's obviously great for Iowa to have a RB come in and fill in the void that was left by Greene going pro and Hampton being out for the season, but on the opposite end of the spectrum, what happens when Hampton gets back and Brinson shows he's more than capable of running the rock? That spells log jam and log jam spells the recipe for transfers. Hopefully they will all stick it out and push eachother to get even better.

Also, I wouldn't write Brinson off just yet, let the kid show what he can do before we anoint Wegher as the starter.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,556
    Given: 279

We had their running game shut down to basically nothing in the first half. He's definitely good, but I think a lot of it was our offenses ineptitude and the defense having to be on the field for most of the second half.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm definitely not writing off Brinson....in fact I thought he'd be the #1 over Hampton this season after camp was over...even if Hampton was healthy. However, I have to think his ankle was still bothering him (seeing as how he didn't have a carry until the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter yesterday), which puts him at a disadvantage for moving up the depth chart.

I honestly think Hampton ends up being the odd man out at RB when he comes back next year....I feel bad for the kid, but I think both Brinson and Wegher have more talent....JMO though, we have to see Brinson at full strength before we can know for sure.