Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 60

Michigan

First,

Why is Michigan the title of this thread?

1. Michigan, one of the most talent-rich programs in the nation had the WORST season in 100+ years for the program last year after implementing the spread offense last year. They were TERRIBLE. I grew up a Michigan fan.

2. Iowa State, one of the most talent-less programs in the BCS (yes, we have skill and potential, but lets be honest here) are implementing the program this year.

See the analogy?

You can have the top talent, but if you don't know the system you are going to struggle. I believe we are ahead of where Michigan was last year at this point. Did you see how Michigan played Notre Dame yesterday? They are light years ahead of where they were last year.

I see no reason to believe the same cannot happen with us, albeit with lesser talent. I also believe we will be better by the end of this season than Michigan was at the end of theirs last year.

All that being said, AA had the WORST game I think I've ever seen by a Cyclone QB. Worst/Best part is that most, if not all, of his game was not caused by Iowa's defensive pressure. They were poor decisions and even poorer throws. Period. If AA has an average game we are in the game until the end. I don't care who you are, if you turn the ball over that many times you are asking to get whipped.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,535
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 3

Re: Michigan

You made a hypothetical jump by saying that Michigan as a talent-rich school and ISU as a talentless school are somehow comparable. How are we going to be better than them by season's end?

I'm pretty sure Michigan 2008 would beat ISU 2008/2009.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 212

Quote Originally Posted by temperflare View Post
    See the analogy?
    Sorry, I really don't.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

First,

Why is Michigan the title of this thread?

1. Michigan, one of the most talent-rich programs in the nation had the WORST season in 100+ years for the program last year after implementing the spread offense last year. They were TERRIBLE. I grew up a Michigan fan.

2. Iowa State, one of the most talent-less programs in the BCS (yes, we have skill and potential, but lets be honest here) are implementing the program this year.

See the analogy?

You can have the top talent, but if you don't know the system you are going to struggle. I believe we are ahead of where Michigan was last year at this point. Did you see how Michigan played Notre Dame yesterday? They are light years ahead of where they were last year.

I see no reason to believe the same cannot happen with us, albeit with lesser talent. I also believe we will be better by the end of this season than Michigan was at the end of theirs last year.

All that being said, AA had the WORST game I think I've ever seen by a Cyclone QB. Worst/Best part is that most, if not all, of his game was not caused by Iowa's defensive pressure. They were poor decisions and even poorer throws. Period. If AA has an average game we are in the game until the end. I don't care who you are, if you turn the ball over that many times you are asking to get whipped.
    The only reason Michigan IS better is because they have great talent. No offense to Rhoads, but they also have a coach who has proven he can win in the big time.

ISU has a lot less talent and plays in a much tougher conference. Any comparison to Michigan is baseless.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,681
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 24

I understand what you mean.

Hopefully you are right.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,306
    Given: 639

I agree with the sentiment that we can be very good once we learn the system. Speaking of Michigan though.......holy cow is their new quarterback good? Amazing kid for a freshman!

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I understand the analogy that Michigan implemented some form of spread offense and got much better in year 2 than in year 1. Unfortunately I don't think it applies to us for several reasons:

(1) Their offense revolves around the QB, and they had no QB for it last year. This year, they do. We aren't going to have a Tate Forcier show up before next season.

(2) Our defense is still an issue.

(3) Our 2009 schedule is pretty soft; our 2010 schedule is not -- at Texas, at Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and for good measure, Utah. This is the kicker: We could be a signficantly better team and still end up with the same or worse record. And in 2011, it gets even tougher -- Texas, Oklahoma, at Texas Tech, at Utah, and Connecticut.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

The biggest difference between ISU/Michigan (outside of the talent gap) is the fact that they run two entirely different variations of the spread. Michigan runs a run spread option. ISU runs a pass spread option. The two offenses are entirely different. Michigan's spread is pretty much a Wing T with a few passes.

After watching the game though, Michigan is definitely back. They have 89 kids on their roster with either freshmen or sophomore eligibility....that is insane. Forcier is legit, he is going to win a heisman/national title before he leaves Michigan....he is already a FAR better qb than Terrelle Pryor, who, IMO, lost OSU the game last night against USC.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    The biggest difference between ISU/Michigan (outside of the talent gap) is the fact that they run two entirely different variations of the spread. Michigan runs a run spread option. ISU runs a pass spread option. The two offenses are entirely different. Michigan's spread is pretty much a Wing T with a few passes.

After watching the game though, Michigan is definitely back. They have 89 kids on their roster with either freshmen or sophomore eligibility....that is insane. Forcier is legit, he is going to win a heisman/national title before he leaves Michigan....he is already a FAR better qb than Terrelle Pryor, who, IMO, lost OSU the game last night against USC.
    Let's not get all crazy....they've been at home, and you could very easily make the argument that Weiss (surprise!) out-coached himself yesterday and cost Notre Dame the win.

It does look like Michigan is light years ahead of where they were last year - it ought to be a barnburner on Oct. 10th!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 541
    Given: 485

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Sorry, I really don't.
    +10000

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    I understand the analogy that Michigan implemented some form of spread offense and got much better in year 2 than in year 1. Unfortunately I don't think it applies to us for several reasons:

(1) Their offense revolves around the QB, and they had no QB for it last year. This year, they do. We aren't going to have a Tate Forcier show up before next season.

(2) Our defense is still an issue.

(3) Our 2009 schedule is pretty soft; our 2010 schedule is not -- at Texas, at Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and for good measure, Utah. This is the kicker: We could be a signficantly better team and still end up with the same or worse record. And in 2011, it gets even tougher -- Texas, Oklahoma, at Texas Tech, at Utah, and Connecticut.
    Agreed. My thoughts are that once we have a season under our belts in this system and we give the coaches the chance to recruit for this system we should see remarkable improvement.

As is, we are doing the best we can for the system we have with the players we have.

This is my kool-aid, glass is half-full view on where we currently are and where we could end up. Next season *should* be better.

That being said, I'm tired of waiting for next season. But it is the attitude one must have after a new coaching staff has been put in place. Really, do we have any other choice?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I agree with the sentiment that we can be very good once we learn the system. Speaking of Michigan though.......holy cow is their new quarterback good? Amazing kid for a freshman!
    Yeah, that kid is something special. The backup ain't too bad either.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 126

See the analogy?

You can have the top talent, but if you don't know the system you are going to struggle.
    I see you didn't use the "Washington" analogy: after not winning a game last year, they are a totally different team with a first-year coach, going up and down the field against LSU, of all teams.

Also, you didn't use the "Toledo" analogy: also with a first-year coach, and with a new spread offense, look tremendous right out of the chute...

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 496
    Given: 966

How about we just get the basic point that it takes time to learn a complicated system.

I'm sick of waiting too, but it makes some sense.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I see you didn't use the "Washington" analogy: after not winning a game last year, they are a totally different team with a first-year coach, going up and down the field against LSU, of all teams.

Also, you didn't use the "Toledo" analogy: also with a first-year coach, and with a new spread offense, look tremendous right out of the chute...
    Point taken.