Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Let's Be Honest (Part 2)

What an ugly game! I wasn't expecting a win as I actually predicted a loss today but what transpired on the field was shocking to say the least

We're not a good football team right now. I was really worried after watching us struggle against the Bison last week (yes we did struggle). Everybody got excited about words like "spread offense" or "no huddle offense" but these offenses take time before they start clicking. Timing and knowledge of the offense is crucial to making it work and you can tell we still don't have it. Arnaud either throws to late or to early on a lot of throws.

Arnaud needs to learn to look off defenders. When you get the ball and look at Hamilton streaking down the sidelines the entire time, even an average safety is going to make that play. You know that he is staring the defenders down when the safeties got all of the INT's. A pump fake or something. Just enough to keep them honest.

What I have to keep telling myself about Arnaud, and this is important, is that he is on his 3rd offensive coordinator in 4 years. That is very hard on a QB and that is why I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt (though it's hard)

Tiller needs to start playing more in some way shape or form. He is a better fit for this offense. He will run the option read play and keep the DE very honest. And I think he has a little better release on his ball. I am not calling for him to start (yet) but I think playing time is needed at this point

Our WR's aren't as good as people think they are. They don't get seperation from the DB's and you can tell our speed at that position is still below average. We have to find a way to get Reynolds the ball in space because it appears he does have the speed, toughness, and moves to make plays happen. For some reason they don't really run passes downfield to him very often.

Our offensive line was great today. We ran the ball effictively and should have ran the ball more. Arnaud had time to throw the ball and they gave him pockets. To me that is very encouraging. It gives us more options on things to do on offense. There were a couple of 3rd and shorts today that I would have liked to see us run it rather than pass it but maybe the coaches still are not confident we can do that

Mahoney is a stud. That kick was good from 60. Confidence just oozes from him and that is crucial for a kicker

Defensive line came to play today. Most of Iowa's yards on the ground came in the second half when they were gassed from being on the field all game. They were great against the run in the first half and Lyle played really well (minus the facemask). We need him to be good every game.

Secondary played alright minus Banks. They just picked on him the entire first half and if Stanzi was a decent QB Iowa would have been up by 4 TD's at half. Sims is a player. It has been a while since we have had a safety has solid as him. Pass defense, run defense, he does it all.

I hate to put a game on a single player but Arnaud really lost this for us today. Iowa's 2 TD's in the first half were essentially 20 and 25 yard drives (INT and onside kick w/ penalties...which I loved that call). You can't turn the ball over 6 times and have 9 penalties and beat anybody in college football. Defense can only keep you in the game so long before they run out of gas

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Let's Be Honest (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    What an ugly game! I wasn't expecting a win as I actually predicted a loss today but what transpired on the field was shocking to say the least

We're not a good football team right now. I was really worried after watching us struggle against the Bison last week (yes we did struggle). Everybody got excited about words like "spread offense" or "no huddle offense" but these offenses take time before they start clicking. Timing and knowledge of the offense is crucial to making it work and you can tell we still don't have it. Arnaud either throws to late or to early on a lot of throws.

Arnaud needs to learn to look off defenders. When you get the ball and look at Hamilton streaking down the sidelines the entire time, even an average safety is going to make that play. You know that he is staring the defenders down when the safeties got all of the INT's. A pump fake or something. Just enough to keep them honest.

What I have to keep telling myself about Arnaud, and this is important, is that he is on his 3rd offensive coordinator in 4 years. That is very hard on a QB and that is why I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt (though it's hard)

Tiller needs to start playing more in some way shape or form. He is a better fit for this offense. He will run the option read play and keep the DE very honest. And I think he has a little better release on his ball. I am not calling for him to start (yet) but I think playing time is needed at this point

Our WR's aren't as good as people think they are. They don't get seperation from the DB's and you can tell our speed at that position is still below average. We have to find a way to get Reynolds the ball in space because it appears he does have the speed, toughness, and moves to make plays happen. For some reason they don't really run passes downfield to him very often.

Our offensive line was great today. We ran the ball effictively and should have ran the ball more. Arnaud had time to throw the ball and they gave him pockets. To me that is very encouraging. It gives us more options on things to do on offense. There were a couple of 3rd and shorts today that I would have liked to see us run it rather than pass it but maybe the coaches still are not confident we can do that

Mahoney is a stud. That kick was good from 60. Confidence just oozes from him and that is crucial for a kicker

Defensive line came to play today. Most of Iowa's yards on the ground came in the second half when they were gassed from being on the field all game. They were great against the run in the first half and Lyle played really well (minus the facemask). We need him to be good every game.

Secondary played alright minus Banks. They just picked on him the entire first half and if Stanzi was a decent QB Iowa would have been up by 4 TD's at half. Sims is a player. It has been a while since we have had a safety has solid as him. Pass defense, run defense, he does it all.

I hate to put a game on a single player but Arnaud really lost this for us today. Iowa's 2 TD's in the first half were essentially 20 and 25 yard drives (INT and onside kick w/ penalties...which I loved that call). You can't turn the ball over 6 times and have 9 penalties and beat anybody in college football. Defense can only keep you in the game so long before they run out of gas
    I thought you guys played a tough first half but I was confused about the onside kick. That one obviously didn't pan out well for you guys. I will say one thing. If I was an ISU fan I would be really excited about your running back A Rob. That kid was really impressive and definitely passes the eye ball test. He needs to be running the ball 25 times a game for you guys because he looks pretty special. Good game and good luck the rest of the year.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 101

We are not good and we are worse than we were last year, which scares me to say. If nothing else, our offense was our strong point last year. This year, I don't know, I just hope we can score another touchdown at some point. I can't belive it's come to this, We are possibly the worst team in college football, minus NDSU.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Hawks2405 View Post
    I thought you guys played a tough first half but I was confused about the onside kick. That one obviously didn't pan out well for you guys. I will say one thing. If I was an ISU fan I would be really excited about your running back A Rob. That kid was really impressive and definitely passes the eye ball test. He needs to be running the ball 25 times a game for you guys because he looks pretty special. Good game and good luck the rest of the year.
    Bad coaching. I'm not calling for heads now, but really bad coaching. And a good running back isn't going to carry us to anything but picking through the ******** in the big XII.

Last edited by Angie; 09-12-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 391
    Given: 808

I'm a big fan of Mahoney. The kid is legit.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Our O/C needs to be more patient. If you can get stuff underneath, then take it and the run and set up play action and stop and go patterns. And crossing patterns to the tight ends. I'm anxious to see this again to learn where those guys were. I saw one ball go to Catlet. That's all I remember.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Hawks2405 View Post
    Thanks. He does need to get the ball more and I don't understand why he doesn't.

Onside kick was the right call. The kids knew they were doing it all week after their first score. It caught Iowa off guard and the kick was perfect. We just had a guy run by the ball

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    We are not good and we are worse than we were last year, which scares me to say. If nothing else, our offense was our strong point last year. This year, I don't know, I just hope we can score another touchdown at some point. I can't belive it's come to this, We are possibly the worst team in college football, minus NDSU.
    Step off the ledge. We are not worse than we were last year

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swammi View Post
    Our O/C needs to be more patient. If you can get stuff underneath, then take it and the run and set up play action and stop and go patterns. And crossing patterns to the tight ends. I'm anxious to see this again to learn where those guys were. I saw one ball go to Catlet. That's all I remember.
    Let's be honest, if we haven't figured this out enough to at least compete with this Hawkeye team, we won't. we are terrible, YES, there is no hope, we suck. It's over.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 728

We are not good and we are worse than we were last year, which scares me to say. We are possibly the worst team in college football, minus NDSU.
    You're saying this based on one game...

I see a lot of ways this team is improved over last season. As said in the OP, this one was on Austen's bad game.

I do have to say that I though Sims' juggling interception was a thing of beauty. He may turn out to be the best safety I've seen at ISU over the past thirty years or so...

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

im not going to say arnaud completely lost the game today.. there was some big penalties that hurt us.. arob fumble in the 2nd half really hurt.. ya arnaud def didnt help but even though he blames it on him.. its a team loss.. everyone will come back next week hungry for a win

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    You're saying this based on one game...

I see a lot of ways this team is improved over last season. As said in the OP, this one was on Austen's bad game.

I do have to say that I though Sims' juggling interception was a thing of beauty. He may turn out to be the best safety I've seen at ISU over the past thirty years or so...

w00t! One play, SWEET! YEah, but without Offense, we are ****ed in the Big XII. Face it we suck. Tiller, FTW.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bad coaching. I'm not calling for heads now, but really bad coaching. And a good running back isn't going to carry us to anything but picking through the ******** in the big XII.
    No, that was a good call, I think. Iowa's defense was pretty gassed at that point (remember, that came right after Iowa had gone 3 and out after ISU's field goal), and probably could have put something together had they recovered it.

The play of the game, IMO, was Robinsons fumble on ISU's first possesion of the 2nd half. Iowa punched that in, and even listening on the radio you hear the air come out of JTS.

Last edited by Angie; 09-12-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Thanks. He does need to get the ball more and I don't understand why he doesn't.

Onside kick was the right call. The kids knew they were doing it all week after their first score. It caught Iowa off guard and the kick was perfect. We just had a guy run by the ball
    It really wouldn't have mattered if ISU recovered anyway, as they were offside on the play - and you're not going to do that twice in a row.

ISU really killed themselves with penalties today.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post
    No, that was a good call, I think. Iowa's defense was pretty gassed at that point (remember, that came right after Iowa had gone 3 and out after ISU's field goal), and probably could have put something together had they recovered it.

The play of the game, IMO, was Robinsons fumble on ISU's first possesion of the 2nd half. Iowa punched that in, and even listening on the radio you hear the air come out of JTS.
    No, onside kicks are for desperation plays. Even Squibs. Terrible call. We had no reason at that point in the game to think we couldn't stop Iowa from scoring. Terrible call. My opinion, you are wrong. Terrible call at that point. Amazingly, other than being stuck in terrible positions, our D played pretty well.