Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,532, Level: 63
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,679
    Points
    42,532
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

    Victory for the Williams Wall

    The duo of Pat & Kevin Williams won an important victory in the 8th U.S. Circuit Court in their case against the NFL's suspension for use of the weight loss drug Star Caps. Baring unexpected additional court action, they appear to be set to play the entire season and have the case decided next spring.

    I'm all for efforts to stop use of PED, but the league's approach in this case leaves a lot to be desired.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4464771



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Victory for the Williams Wall

    Good Deal. Go Vikes


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 47,985, Level: 67
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    wesley_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    1,655
    Points
    47,985
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 0

    Re: Victory for the Williams Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I'm all for efforts to stop use of PED, but the league's approach in this case leaves a lot to be desired.
    I agree with you, Steve.


    Iowa State Football Photos from the past
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p928725649

  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 146,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,718
    Points
    146,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

    Re: Victory for the Williams Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The duo of Pat & Kevin Williams won an important victory in the 8th U.S. Circuit Court in their case against the NFL's suspension for use of the weight loss drug Star Caps. Baring unexpected additional court action, they appear to be set to play the entire season and have the case decided next spring.

    I'm all for efforts to stop use of PED, but the league's approach in this case leaves a lot to be desired.

    Pat and Kevin Williams of Minnesota Vikings will be able to play in 2009 - ESPN
    Guys know EXACTLY what over the counter drugs they can take to give them the best edge, beleive me... This means you really can't suspend any players, in any sport in that state... What the league could do, is suspend them for road games though... I know you have to pay taxes in every state you play in, even on the road, so I am guessing the league could enforce their rules that way.



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  5. #5
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 607,204, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,853
    Points
    607,204
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,696
    Given: 158

    Re: Victory for the Williams Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Guys know EXACTLY what over the counter drugs they can take to give them the best edge, beleive me... This means you really can't suspend any players, in any sport in that state... What the league could do, is suspend them for road games though... I know you have to pay taxes in every state you play in, even on the road, so I am guessing the league could enforce their rules that way.
    actually the argument is that under the CBA it is specified that players are employed by the team rather than the league. I guess this was something that the NFL was adamant about stipulating when the current CBA was put into place. It's not the league that pays these guys, it's the team. What has been put ruled so far is that the labor laws of the state in which these players are employed supercede the leauge rules.

    And really, that's kind of a no brainer. It makes sense that the NFL is not above state labor laws.

    Now that doesn't necessarily mean that the Williams boys are innocent. They very well could have known what they were putting in their bodies. All it means is that there might be a loophole in the league rule, here.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,532, Level: 63
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,679
    Points
    42,532
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

    Re: Victory for the Williams Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Guys know EXACTLY what over the counter drugs they can take to give them the best edge, beleive me... This means you really can't suspend any players, in any sport in that state... What the league could do, is suspend them for road games though... I know you have to pay taxes in every state you play in, even on the road, so I am guessing the league could enforce their rules that way.
    Neither of the Williams had any reason to get bigger or stronger - more so the opposite. Fat Pat was banned from training camp until he lost weight. KW was focused on reducing the stress on his knees. Both seemed to have a legitimate reason to lose weight and turned to StarCaps which was not on the league's banned list despite the league knowing about the suspect ingredient for over a year. The league chose not to pass the information on the the NFLPA because they put penalty enforcement above concern for player's welfare.

    The current situation is that the federal court has ruled that the state court has jurisdiction. I would think that the league could end up losing big time if they attempt to thumb their nose at the court system by trying to enforce a road game suspension. They have a legitimate option to appeal through the US Supreme Court instead of trying to impose a strong-arm solution. They are between a rock and a hard place because the USSC is not likely to jump in and be their shining knight. They still have the option to prove their case in the state court, it's just that it would allow the players to present a legitimate defense of what they are being accused of.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 146,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,718
    Points
    146,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

    Re: Victory for the Williams Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Neither of the Williams had any reason to get bigger or stronger - more so the opposite. Fat Pat was banned from training camp until he lost weight. KW was focused on reducing the stress on his knees. Both seemed to have a legitimate reason to lose weight and turned to StarCaps which was not on the league's banned list despite the league knowing about the suspect ingredient for over a year. The league chose not to pass the information on the the NFLPA because they put penalty enforcement above concern for player's welfare.

    The current situation is that the federal court has ruled that the state court has jurisdiction. I would think that the league could end up losing big time if they attempt to thumb their nose at the court system by trying to enforce a road game suspension. They have a legitimate option to appeal through the US Supreme Court instead of trying to impose a strong-arm solution. They are between a rock and a hard place because the USSC is not likely to jump in and be their shining knight. They still have the option to prove their case in the state court, it's just that it would allow the players to present a legitimate defense of what they are being accused of.
    The most used steroid by baseball and football players is Winstrol... It doesn't really get you any stronger but it makes you leaner and quicker... StarCaps are a known masking agent for this water-based steroid and are also basically a amphetamine...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,532, Level: 63
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,679
    Points
    42,532
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

    Re: Victory for the Williams Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    The most used steroid by baseball and football players is Winstrol... It doesn't really get you any stronger but it makes you leaner and quicker... StarCaps are a known masking agent for this water-based steroid and are also basically a amphetamine...
    I'll take all of your comments as true as I know that you have much more knowledge on the subject than probably any of us.

    What I don't understand, however, is why the league either didn't include StarCaps on their prohibited list or at least pass on the information that they sat on.

    On the subject of masking agents, all that tells me is that the analysis methods for targeted substances are inadequate. It seems hard to believe that any so-called masking agent completely destroys a listed substance. Their presence might warrant a more detailed analysis, but shouldn't automatically convict someone of wrongdoing.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM