Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 24,611, Level: 48
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 939
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    781
    Points
    24,611
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    Roll with me for a second.

    I think it could be said an "emotional" advantage would be certainly in Iowa's favor. Remeber the "Cortez" speech from Mac in 1998...a fellow clone unable to play anymore...rallies the troops...and the rest is history.

    While that may not be the best analogy circa 2009...it is clear that the "something" to prove angle is all on Iowa.

    Which is why I believe a fast start for ISU is critical in this game. If the clones come out fast on offensive and if R Parker can spend some early time in the Iowa backfield...I feel real good about our chances.

    BUT...

    Given the emotional angle and lingering doubters....if Iowa were to strike first especially via the run...the short-term confidence for that make shift line will grow and could linger most of the game. Think about it. They just need the unit to work for one game...long term outlook may be a bit bleaker...but in this time and situation, a unit could play out of their minds - when they would have no business doing so. This game has all the makings of that happening.

    ISU should throw the kitchen sink at the left side of the line...all day long. Force them to one half of the field.

    Either way...ISU has got to start fast.


    "Unless a man is born again, he will not see the Kingdom of Heaven" John 3:3

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 26,790, Level: 50
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Ames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,913
    Points
    26,790
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    You'd think this guy was QB1 and in the middle of a Heisman run or something.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,809, Level: 78
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    3,939
    Points
    64,809
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 100

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    You'd think this guy was QB1 and in the middle of a Heisman run or something.
    LOL...I agree! 13 pages in one thread...and how many different threads is this injury mentioned in? I guess it is all part of the excitement of the big game tomorrow.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 249,684, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,402
    Points
    249,684
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    I agree with the OP here... at best this is a wash, I can see a win one for the gipper situation.




  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 69,281, Level: 81
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,132
    Points
    69,281
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 347

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    Actually the Cortez speech from 1998 wasn't a speech by coach Mac. Cortez actually wrote a letter to the team that was read before the game. I think the Buluga and Cortez things are completely different.



  6. #6
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    Ok - who's Bulaga?



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    532
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by larrysarmy View Post
    Roll with me for a second.

    I think it could be said an "emotional" advantage would be certainly in Iowa's favor. Remeber the "Cortez" speech from Mac in 1998...a fellow clone unable to play anymore...rallies the troops...and the rest is history.

    While that may not be the best analogy circa 2009...it is clear that the "something" to prove angle is all on Iowa.

    Which is why I believe a fast start for ISU is critical in this game. If the clones come out fast on offensive and if R Parker can spend some early time in the Iowa backfield...I feel real good about our chances.

    BUT...

    Given the emotional angle and lingering doubters....if Iowa were to strike first especially via the run...the short-term confidence for that make shift line will grow and could linger most of the game. Think about it. They just need the unit to work for one game...long term outlook may be a bit bleaker...but in this time and situation, a unit could play out of their minds - when they would have no business doing so. This game has all the makings of that happening.

    ISU should throw the kitchen sink at the left side of the line...all day long. Force them to one half of the field.

    Either way...ISU has got to start fast.
    Bulaga out would provide ISU with a significant advantage. Bulaga is a team leader and it's never good when/if he's not on the field. Furthermore, without question, he's also Iowa's best guy on the OL ... again, another reason why it's never good when he's not on the field.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 426,205, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,643
    Points
    426,205
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 1

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    I don't buy into the emotional win crap. Just because you know you're down a guy doesn't just make you faster, stronger, and more athletic.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 135,716, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    135,716
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Ok - who's Bulaga?
    "Bulaga" is a type of whale common to the northern Atlantic, they are a smaller variety, respective to the genus and range from white to a light gray.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 258,173, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,298
    Points
    258,173
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 261

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Ok - who's Bulaga?
    Obviously the greatest player to ever play the game of football.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 162,446, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    6,710
    Points
    162,446
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 10

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    Next man in!!



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 167,440, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    8,455
    Points
    167,440
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 8

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I don't buy into the emotional win crap. Just because you know you're down a guy doesn't just make you faster, stronger, and more athletic.
    Considering that the ailment is not serious (allegedly) I agree with you.

    Had it been serious, the emotional impact would have been felt.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 164,927, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    10,991
    Points
    164,927
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 300

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Ok - who's Bulaga?
    Future 1st round left tackle and best lineman at Iowa since Gallery.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 202,684, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    14,981
    Points
    202,684
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 40

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    He is a lineman. Starting Linemen get hurt all the time, because their are 5 of them. There is no reason to think that losing 1 starter for one game will send them into an emotional hurricane that will result in them becoming stronger and blocking more effectively.

    Don't forget, we lost an Starting OL from spring who is now academically ineligible (Hicks).



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,013, Level: 63
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,650
    Points
    42,013
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 10

    Re: IF Bulaga is out....Advantage Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    Actually the Cortez speech from 1998 wasn't a speech by coach Mac. Cortez actually wrote a letter to the team that was read before the game. I think the Buluga and Cortez things are completely different.
    Good post about the situations not being relevant. Wasn't Cortez ruled out of the game much earlier, if not before the season? I don't recall any stunning game week development and subsequent scrambling to juggle the lineup.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM