10 6.37%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Who sucked more?

The other day at the bar, a friend and I were having a discussion. It revolved around who did a sh*ttier job in their final season at ISU, Wayne or Dan? We thought both were so awful in their last seasons (and Dan in '05) that it was impossible to judge. So here it is, who blew more?

Who are you George Costanza? I am the opposite of every man you've ever met.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: Who sucked more?

Wayne had two dominating guards and he couldn't or wouldn't coach one of them. Wayne got zero development out of his big men over the course of the season. Nobody will ever suck more than Wayne did that final season.

Dan had no left tackle on his line last year. Without a left tackle, your offense will always stink. Dan got about what he should have got win wise out of last year's team.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    Dan had no left tackle on his line last year. Without a left tackle, your offense will always stink. Dan got about what he should have got win wise out of last year's team.
    While I think Wayne still did less with more, Dan had the talent to beat Iowa, Colorado, and Texas Tech last season. His staff just couldn't coach them to victories.

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

It's really close but I voted Dan when comparing their final year. They had somewhat equal expectations and equally choked and disappointed. It's hard to make a case that Wayne was much better, but when you think about it, Dan was 4 plays away from being winless.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Wayne hands down. That team had the talent and expirience to be a NCAA tourney team and it got progressively worse as the season went on. It was painfully obvious players were not developing and defense was not being taught. I have never seen a 2-3 zone give up so many wide open layups and 3 pointers. When we go to 2-3 this season it's played a lot better and has forced teams to take perimeter shots. I still like to see man defense any time though, that is about as pure of defense you can play and if taught well is the most fundamental defense as well. We had the athletes to play man defense under Wayne, Clark is a perfect example as he's our best defender this season.

Walk On
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 69

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Wayne hands down. That team had the talent and expirience to be a NCAA tourney team and it got progressively worse as the season went on. It was painfully obvious players were not developing and defense was not being taught. I have never seen a 2-3 zone give up so many wide open layups and 3 pointers. When we go to 2-3 this season it's played a lot better and has forced teams to take perimeter shots. I still like to see man defense any time though, that is about as pure of defense you can play and if taught well is the most fundamental defense as well. We had the athletes to play man defense under Wayne, Clark is a perfect example as he's our best defender this season.
    So true. It still boggles my mind that some were defending Wayne before his firing!

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 287

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    How painful was it to watch us give away the Oklahoma game last season? After that, it was hard for me to watch a whole game...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 110

Quote Originally Posted by Cydar View Post
    How painful was it to watch us give away the Oklahoma game last season? After that, it was hard for me to watch a whole game...
    I still have that game on tape. Makes me feel good in knowing the right coaching change was made. After any of the losses we have had this year, I can just pop that tape in and know that Pollard did the right thing for the program.

That one and the A&M game from last year.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 355

Schottenheimer...

He has been doing it for years. He is no one season wonder like Wayne and Mac. Shotty has sucked for the Browns, Cheifs, and Chargers. Wayne has Sucked for long beach state and Iowa State. Dan only sucked a few years with us. So it looks like this.

1. Shotty
    2. Wayne
    3. Mac

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you look at the final season only I think Wayne would be worse but when you consider what the coach had done in previous years and where the program was Dan makes a run at him. Tough call for me. I'll take Norv Turner with the Raiders instead.

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

LINK Wow I didn't realize just how bad Marty was as a head coach. 205-139-1 career, not to mention the losers that came up under him to be head coaches, what a bum.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 822
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoClone View Post
    While I think Wayne still did less with more, Dan had the talent to beat Iowa, Colorado, and Texas Tech last season. His staff just couldn't coach them to victories.
    Do any of you remember the preseason all Big 12 football teams before the 2006 season? ISU had the MOST PLAYERS on there of ANY school in the Big 12! This includes OU and Texas!!!! There were two offensive lineman on that list, Stephenson and Brandt. Let's not forget about the Preseason all Big 12 QB, a potential All American in Todd Blythe and even Stevie Hicks made one of the teams. On Defense Curvey and Jackson were both on the list and Jackson was the Kickoff returner on that list. Not to mention that ISU was listed in ALL major publications as having one of the top 3 WR corps in the country last season, being compared with Texas Tech and USC. For crying out loud people, who did less with more, no comparison.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 932
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 23

Although Dan was the best guy. His season was hands down the biggest letdown. I honestly thought we had a shot at a good bowl and we probably should have gone winless. Besides Mizzou, the last part of our season was almost comical. Colorado was one of the worst offensive teams in the country and they scored on their first seven possessions...Yikes, injuries or not could anyone on our defense or for that matter on offense even start D-3.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Clones View Post
    So true. It still boggles my mind that some were defending Wayne before his firing!
    Wow, welcome to CF. Looks like you missed the debate from the Fall (speaking of people defending someone who needed to be relieved of their job duties).

This is true thought provoker, and while Dan caused me more stress than any other coach in history, Marty took the most talented team in the NFL, and coached them to a play-off loss.

I know that it is acceptable, even encouraged, to bash Wayne Morgan on this site. Firing Wayne showed decisivness, while firing Dan made JP trigger happy, but I think that he did an admirable job in a tough situation. Noone can tell me that they weren't excited his first year, when we beat Kansas, Texas, Iowa, etc. Eventually, you reach the level that your ability puts you, and you stay there. Wayne had done this, and he wasn't going to go beyond that, so a change was made, after his third year. It's just ironic to say the least that there was a clear double standard by the fanbase when it came time to be oblective in regards to the football program.

Wayne did nothing wrong during his tenure, the D1 scheduling thing was crap. He took over at a time when the program was ready to crash and burn, and won some games. Was he a great coach, absolutely not, but he went to the NIT final 4, and won a game in the NCAA tournament. He had one down year, so for people to say that his time here was a waste is unfair.

There are reasons that people like to slam Wayne, but basically it seems pretty obvious as to why he will never get any credit as a reasonably effective transitional coach at Iowa State. He was aloof, and while a bright man, he did not express his thoughts as well as other coaches do, so he was bad on the radio. It seems that people here wanted a coach that failed over and over again who tried to deflect attention away from his shortcomings with meaningless statistics, but schmoozed his way into a tenure that no self respecting athletic department would have allowed in the same situation.

I have thought about this many times, as to why it was easy to push a coach out the door, who had won actual big, important games in his 3rd year, but an unwillingness to admit continued shortcomings in another. I have to admit that there some unflattering, to say the least, possible answers.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,079
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 338

Quote Originally Posted by joskvig View Post
    It's really close but I voted Dan when comparing their final year. They had somewhat equal expectations and equally choked and disappointed. It's hard to make a case that Wayne was much better, but when you think about it, Dan was 4 plays away from being winless.
    I AGREE I AGREE I AGREE!!!

Dan was 4 plays from being WINless...That Sez it ALL!!