Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 10

XM and Sirius merge

Ugh, what will this mean for sat radio? Maybe we can get big 12 sports on the combined network. All I get is big 10/pac 10 now on XM.

Kinda scares me though, I guess now we will see yearly price increases like cable since there is no more competition.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/19/news...ion=2007021917

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: XM and Sirius merge

It doesn't surprise me, both companies are losing big time money. I enjoy Sirius but if prices go up I'm done.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 46

I've tried both of them. On each one I struggled to find music that I liked and found myself flipping channels worse than I do when I watch TV. I ended up just getting a 30gb MP3 player.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm taking close note too.....I own XM and think for the most part they've got better options, but have been peeved off forever about the no Big 12 thing. I'd be all for the merger if it meant keeping XM and catching the big 12 stuff.

However, sounds like they have some serious hurdles left such as anti-trust laws and an sat radio agreement stating that it's not allowed.

Maybe someone else will jump into the market...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I have both (pay for XM in my work truck and fiance's car, free Sirius in my car.) and like XM so much more. I am happy with this decision for now, hopefully they fully integrate both programming lists so you get all the pro/ncaa sports packages on one. I have read some articles that are speculating that prices may actually go down since subscibers will be up? I still don't really see that happening long term but at the current prices I will stick around for the long term. This still has to cross some FCC hurdles I think before it could happen.

(Nice post above me, great minds think alike)

Last edited by JHudd; 02-19-2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Didn't see the post above prior to mine
    "It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I had XM but switched to Sirius due to Big 12 package and then I got "Howard" as bonus. Sirius is a better product for my taste.............I doubt the regualtors allow the merger. Frankly with no compeition it is likely to be a "price is not right" deal very soon.

My wife works for car dealer that offered XM in their luxury cars......nobody wanted XM and they had to replace with Sirius 8 out of 10 sales. Now they don't even offer XM any more.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Sirius has better music options. The argument that there isn't competition doesn't fly; there are a number of options; standard am/fm radio, MP3 players, CD players, etc.

Starter
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 746
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have XM and like it, but I'm not sure I'm using it enough and may drop it. If you're on the road a lot, it may be worth it. My 25 minute commute morning and afternoon is more geared for local drive time talk radio.

Still thinking of something....
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 16

I have Sirius and Love it! Always knowing that I can have music on the drive to work is a nice thing. I also like listening online all day, no commercials. It's nice not to have to deal with that.

Walk On
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I've had SIRIUS radio for a little over a year and I like the programming. I bought a 2-year plan. The main reason I got SIRIUS was because of the Big XII package and other college sports. I am a little disappointed because it doesn't always have the ISU games. I have another ISU friend who has XM so he can listen to Major League Baseball. XM might have better music channels.

Doubt the merger will get approved. Unlikely the FCC will buy the argument XM and SIRIUS compete with each other and other digital audio sources such as iPods, Mobile Phones, and non-satellite digital radio. It is my understanding neither is profitable.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acody View Post
    I have XM and like it, but I'm not sure I'm using it enough and may drop it. If you're on the road a lot, it may be worth it. My 25 minute commute morning and afternoon is more geared for local drive time talk radio.
    I use it all day long at work, I just stream the channels in to my headphones. that is really the reason I got XM, for the online streaming. The car is just a bonus to me.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa Cyclone View Post
    I've had SIRIUS radio for a little over a year and I like the programming. I bought a 2-year plan. The main reason I got SIRIUS was because of the Big XII package and other college sports. I am a little disappointed because it doesn't always have the ISU games. I have another ISU friend who has XM so he can listen to Major League Baseball. XM might have better music channels.

Doubt the merger will get approved. Unlikely the FCC will buy the argument XM and SIRIUS compete with each other and other digital audio sources such as iPods, Mobile Phones, and non-satellite digital radio. It is my understanding neither is profitable.
    The fact that both are losing money could help them with the FCC. They can just say, "hey, if you don't approve this, we will both go under."

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 42

Here is an e-mail letter I just received from XM...

February 20, 2007

Dear XM Radio Subscriber:

We want to share with you some exciting news: Yesterday, in Washington DC, we announced XM Radio will be merging with Sirius Satellite Radio to form the premier digital audio service.

The merger will create a satellite radio company that will provide consumers across the country with more and better premium radio programming. The combined company will be able to compete better in what has become a very complex and dynamic entertainment market.

Where today our exclusive contracts mean you had to choose between baseball and football or Oprah and Martha Stewart, the new company will seek to ensure that in the future, you will be able to access both companies' programming. And, once we are fully integrated, those of you who have factory-installed satellite radio will no longer be limited to the programming provided by the exclusive satellite radio service chosen by their car manufacturer.

This merger should be completed in late 2007 or early in 2008. Throughout the year, we will provide updates on how the merger is progressing and information will be available at our website, www.xmradio.com.

Between today and the merger date, as well as during the period immediately after the merger date, all of your services will remain the same. The channel lineup, the customer service number, the great music technology, and the XM Radio web site will all remain unchanged and there will be no disruption to service. But, if you have questions, information will be available and maintained on our website, and you can contact our Listener Care team at 800-XMRADIO, with questions and concerns.

XM Radio continues to be committed to providing you the highest quality audio entertainment and customer service available today. After the merger, our new company will be able to offer you the most exciting listening experience in radio.

Sincerely,

Hugh Panero
    CEO, XM Satellite Radio

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

honestly guys, this is good news for us consumers. Prices are unlikely to go up much, if at all, and we will get the best of both services. This is a win/win if it can get through the FCC & the FTC.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Crap, I hope this doesn't mess up some of the programming because Sirius hands down has the better lineup. ALL of their music channels are 100% commericial free where XM is now trickling in ads a couple minutes every hour or so on some stations. I would bet this also makes for a rate increase because now they own 100% of the satallite radio market not just 50% each.

At least one thing will be nice, when I eventually get my new Chevy vehicle that comes standard with XM tuner I'll get the same programming as I do with my custom-installed Sirius tuner eventually so I won't have that problem with not liking the switch between the 2.