Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77
  1. #1
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    We looked no better on Thursday night than Iowa looked today. We played an opponent that is not as talented and fundamentally sound as UNI, and we didn't look great beating them.

    Hate to say it but UNI is a better tackling team than us. This isn't really up for debate. They wrap up and do a great job of gang tackling.

    Their front 7 on defense is better than ours.

    Stanzi (IMO) was awful in the first half....but so was Arnaud. Arnaud couldn't hit on a 5 yard slant in the first half and Stanzi at times had forever to throw and still missed open WR's.

    Iowa's RB wasn't too bad today. UNI did a great job tackling but IMO he ran hard. Not a guy we need to be scared about but we definitely need to respect their running game. Especially when they get some of their usual starters back. Gettis got his butt kicked a couple times and I don't believe he will be starting next week.

    Moeki is legit and we were awful in covering the TE on Thursday. The playaction, hit the TE in the flat is a defensive weakness for us and it is Iowa's bread and butter. Take that away and we will be successful

    Iowa obviously struggled and really didn't have to much business winning that game. But come next week that doesn't matter. We have A TON of things we need to work on or else we are not going to win next week.

    I like our offensive matchup against their D though! Go State!!!



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,361, Level: 80
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    d4nim4l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    4,783
    Points
    67,361
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    Well said on all. I'll be excited for Saturday but face it, both teams have things to work on.

    What I really noticed today was Iowa's lack of speed laterally. They still chased UNI's back down but I think our speed on offense could be an asset.



    Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 335,044, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,730
    Points
    335,044
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    Let's be honest Cyclone fans
    You're asking for the moon-n-stars here.



  4. #4
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    Well said on all. I'll be excited for Saturday but face it, both teams have things to work on.

    What I really noticed today was Iowa's lack of speed laterally. They still chased UNI's back down but I think our speed on offense could be an asset.
    That RB was ridiculously shifty and Iowa's LB got caught straight up at times. I think Iowa closes to the ball much much quicker than us

    Their offense is so predictible though IMO. Load the box and make the WR's beat you. Take away Moeki and pressure Stanzi. It all starts up front though and I am scared our line won't get any pressure



  5. #5
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    I keep seeing that Iowa's OL is overrated. Maybe they are. But they were without 2 starters and they were on their 3rd string RB. I have a feeling come Big 10 season their line will be their strength.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 50,762, Level: 69
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AirWalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,723
    Points
    50,762
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    Iowa's offense (at the moment) is about as bad as our defense... and their defense looks about as good as our offense. Both teams should balance each other out quite nicely. Will probably be about a 28-24 result next weekend.


    Go Sssssssssyclones!

  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,519
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I keep seeing that Iowa's OL is overrated. Maybe they are. But they were without 2 starters and they were on their 3rd string RB. I have a feeling come Big 10 season their line will be their strength.
    We have not seen iu's offensive line yet. One player was missing and another was playing out of position today -- you have to assume they will look better when the moped moron returns next week



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,726, Level: 74
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clone5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,546
    Points
    57,726
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    There is absolutely no reason we should allow their Moeki to have more than 4 catches. Stanzi looks for him just about every big passing play. Hopefully we don't try to defend him with just one of our linebackers.



  9. #9
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    This thread is just stupid, i already commented on another thread why the whole idea that we played just as bad as Iowa is stupid. We won by 17 and saw some flashes of good.

    Iowa won by 1...and it came down to two FG blocks which i have never seen in my entire life. Let's just say one of those kicks go in and Iowa loses. Are we still on here talking about how we did just as bad as Iowa? I dont think so....so stop this garbage and stop bagin our team



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 81,618, Level: 88
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    6,742
    Points
    81,618
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 110

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    There is absolutely no reason we should allow their Moeki to have more than 4 catches. Stanzi looks for him just about every big passing play. Hopefully we don't try to defend him with just one of our linebackers.
    I'll give you 1 reason he'll get more than 4 catches... Jesse Smith.


    #BEATIOWA

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 53,907, Level: 71
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    4,297
    Points
    53,907
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 30

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    I don't think that we looked as bad as Iowa did today. Our defense was obviously not as good as Iowa's but the offense was way better. Stanzi was horrible in the first half when UNI was sending preasure after him. He is pretty good on short routes if he has time. I would like to borrow a couple of the UNI linebackers, but you can't have everything.
    Saturday? No, all it really means is we won't have to listen to the Hawk fans talk about how amazing their team is and how they are headed to the NC game this week.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 172,852, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,438
    Points
    172,852
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    We looked no better on Thursday night than Iowa looked today. We played an opponent that is not as talented and fundamentally sound as UNI, and we didn't look great beating them.

    Hate to say it but UNI is a better tackling team than us. This isn't really up for debate. They wrap up and do a great job of gang tackling.

    Their front 7 on defense is better than ours.

    Stanzi (IMO) was awful in the first half....but so was Arnaud. Arnaud couldn't hit on a 5 yard slant in the first half and Stanzi at times had forever to throw and still missed open WR's.

    Iowa's RB wasn't too bad today. UNI did a great job tackling but IMO he ran hard. Not a guy we need to be scared about but we definitely need to respect their running game. Especially when they get some of their usual starters back. Gettis got his butt kicked a couple times and I don't believe he will be starting next week.

    Moeki is legit and we were awful in covering the TE on Thursday. The playaction, hit the TE in the flat is a defensive weakness for us and it is Iowa's bread and butter. Take that away and we will be successful

    Iowa obviously struggled and really didn't have to much business winning that game. But come next week that doesn't matter. We have A TON of things we need to work on or else we are not going to win next week.

    I like our offensive matchup against their D though! Go State!!!
    I will agree that our defense has me VERY concerned. NDSU was able to run on us pretty easily, and our tackling IMO was no better than last year.

    HOWEVER.... I went back and looked at the game stats from the NDSU-UNI game last year in the UNI Dome. UNI won the game 23-13. But they led 23-6 at the half, and NDSU won the 2nd half 7-0. Also, the stats from the game were nearly equal. One more 1st down for UNI, 2 yds more rushing for UNI, and about 50 yds more passing from UNI. UNI outgained NDSU something like 260 total yds to NDSU's 220.

    So although I would agree that UNI is a better team than NDSU... it's not as big a difference as some would like to think. NDSU has a very experienced O-line back intact this year.... and every single one of their starters is over 300 lbs. And that NDSU RB was a VERY good and elusive runner IMO.

    I think Iowa will be much improved this week and we will need to play our best to win, but UNI is only about a 10 point better team than NDSU is.... going by their game last year. So as upset I was at our 34-17 win Thursday... I think NDSU is probably a better team than we give them credit for. But our defense has to play better for us to even have a shot.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,726, Level: 74
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clone5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,546
    Points
    57,726
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    I'll give you 1 reason he'll get more than 4 catches... Jesse Smith.
    That's a pretty good reason but I'm thinking if he is matched up against a linebacker it will be Garrin or Raven



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 131,406, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Psyclone Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    4200'50"N 93
    Posts
    3,811
    Points
    131,406
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 12

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    Let's be honest...
    Iowa had 3 months to prepare for this game. They gave UNI their best shot. And if Northern Iowa didn't have such a line-drive FG kicker, they (probably) would've won. Nobody can tell me that Iowa wasn't very well prepared. I'm looking forward to next week!



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 857,279, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,075
    Points
    857,279
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,297
    Given: 1,129

    Re: Let's be honest Cyclone fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone Brian View Post
    Let's be honest...
    Iowa had 3 months to prepare for this game. They gave UNI their best shot. And if Northern Iowa didn't have such a line-drive FG kicker, they (probably) would've won. Nobody can tell me that Iowa wasn't very well prepared. I'm looking forward to next week!
    Very good point that's gone overlooked. Nice job.

    Let's be honest......

    We play well against Iowa. Our defense plays better than against other teams.
    We tend to beat them at home.

    I'm also looking forward to a hotly contested game next week.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM