Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 36,685, Level: 59
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    theyork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    hedgesville, wv
    Posts
    1,456
    Points
    36,685
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    so what is up with iowa's OL

    they seemed to play pretty poorly this week albeit against a good uni team. read some saying vandervelde and someone else may be starting next week. why weren't they starting this week? injury? suspension?

    also i know their starter at RB is out and taking a RS and bernstine is out if i remember correctly, anybody else out for any reason.

    regardless of who is starting, the only thing that scares me about iowa is how bad OUR defense is. sorry, but we weren't exactly sharp against a lesser opponent.

    i'll take our O against iowa's, but their D clearly has to be better.



  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 14,669, Level: 36
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rural Bremer County
    Posts
    632
    Points
    14,669
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post
    they seemed to play pretty poorly this week albeit against a good uni team. read some saying vandervelde and someone else may be starting next week. why weren't they starting this week? injury? suspension?
    .
    Vandervelde was injured, and Kyle Calloway was suspended.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 56,184, Level: 73
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,539
    Points
    56,184
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 1

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    I stated on this board a couple of times in the past week that Iowa's OL is overrated. Will they be better next week when they get back the guy that likes to punch out cab drivers? Probably, but they are still overrated. Even though they like to refer to themselves as OL University, we'll see better OL's in the Big 12.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,794
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonestate View Post
    I stated on this board a couple of times in the past week that Iowa's OL is overrated. Will they be better next week when they get back the guy that likes to punch out cab drivers? Probably, but they are still overrated. Even though they like to refer to themselves as OL University, we'll see better OL's in the Big 12.
    The guy who likes to punch out cab drivers played this week -- there is no punishment for him. Next week they get back the guy who rides his moped while drunk.

    You are right that they have been grossly overrated ever since last year. They lost 2 of their best and most consistent linemen to graduation, plus one to surgery, and a 4th to suspension. They were pretty good last year, but most of those guys are gone. Their backups from last year like Eubanks and Doering, who we saw today, are just not good.

    Iowa fans talked all summer about how they had the 3rd best offensive line in the nation. I wonder how they feel now that everyone can see they have the 3rd best offensive line in the state.


    Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

    My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 56,184, Level: 73
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,539
    Points
    56,184
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 1

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonestate View Post
    I stated on this board a couple of times in the past week that Iowa's OL is overrated. Will they be better next week when they get back the guy that likes to punch out cab drivers? Probably, but they are still overrated. Even though they like to refer to themselves as OL University, we'll see better OL's in the Big 12.

    My bad. Calloway is the drunken moped driver. I was confusing him with another hawkeye criminal. You need a program to keep track of them.

    On a related note, WOI TV indicated this afternoon that the UofI will release a thousand pages of documents concerning the two alleged Hawkeye rapists in response to a lawsuit filed by the Iowa City Press Citizen.


    Last edited by cyclonestate; 09-05-2009 at 06:55 PM.

  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 47,333, Level: 67
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,017
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    DJK15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,702
    Points
    47,333
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    A senior, returning starter, sure fire NFL draft pick, usually improves the quality of an offensive line.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 84,034, Level: 90
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,516
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    6,774
    Points
    84,034
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 137

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15 View Post
    A senior, returning starter, sure fire NFL draft pick, usually improves the quality of an offensive line.
    But what about a top 5 pick in next years draft? He should be more important than that right?!? LMAO to the team who drafts him.


    #BEATIOWA

  8. #8
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    Their 2 studs were out. What we saw today will not be what we see next Saturday. Their 2 future NFL linemen will improve their line 100%.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,794
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    Quote Originally Posted by checker21 View Post
    Their 2 studs were out. What we saw today will not be what we see next Saturday. Their 2 future NFL linemen will improve their line 100%.
    They only get Calloway back from suspension, don't they? Who is #2?


    Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

    My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 213,508, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,039
    Points
    213,508
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 12

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    Quote Originally Posted by checker21 View Post
    Their 2 studs were out. What we saw today will not be what we see next Saturday. Their 2 future NFL linemen will improve their line 100%.
    Nah...that won't make a difference. At least, not according to MontyBurns.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 335,783, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,776
    Points
    335,783
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 176

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    Quote Originally Posted by SplitIdentity View Post
    Nah...that won't make a difference. At least, not according to MontyBurns.
    Pay no attention to the Hawk fan pretending to be a Cyclone fan.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 26,091, Level: 49
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,425
    Points
    26,091
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 1

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    The guy who likes to punch out cab drivers played this week -- there is no punishment for him. Next week they get back the guy who rides his moped while drunk.

    You are right that they have been grossly overrated ever since last year. They lost 2 of their best and most consistent linemen to graduation, plus one to surgery, and a 4th to suspension. They were pretty good last year, but most of those guys are gone. Their backups from last year like Eubanks and Doering, who we saw today, are just not good.

    Iowa fans talked all summer about how they had the 3rd best offensive line in the nation. I wonder how they feel now that everyone can see they have the 3rd best offensive line in the state.
    You might want to wait until Iowa's line is at full strength before passing Judgement....if we get Vandervelde back this week, we basically get 3 new starters this week: Calloway at RT, which allows Richardson to go back to LG (where he practiced all spring and early in fall camp), and Vandervelde at RG.....that equates to a night and day improvement in the OL...2 of the 3 will be back...we're still waiting on Vandervelde's status.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 69,032, Level: 81
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,378
    Points
    69,032
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 24

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    We hear all year how great their OL is from their fans, and yet there is just a ton of excuses tossed out today for their performance. I guess we are to believe there is a huge dropoff once a couple of guys are out. That would seem to imply the OL isn't all-world at Iowa if it performs poorly against a 1AA team with 2 guys out.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 47,333, Level: 67
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,017
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    DJK15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,702
    Points
    47,333
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    They only get Calloway back from suspension, don't they? Who is #2?
    I assume #2 is Vandervelde. But it's way too soon to be calling him an NFL caliber lineman.

    And he will most likely not be back until the 3rd game.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 26,091, Level: 49
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,425
    Points
    26,091
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 1

    Re: so what is up with iowa's OL

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    We hear all year how great their OL is from their fans, and yet there is just a ton of excuses tossed out today for their performance. I guess we are to believe there is a huge dropoff once a couple of guys are out. That would seem to imply the OL isn't all-world at Iowa if it performs poorly against a 1AA team with 2 guys out.
    If you don't believe that a 3 man change can make a difference on the OL (one of which is an ALl Big Ten, NFL guy)....you don't know much about the OL.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. Kansas State
  • September 6, 2014
  • 11:00 AM