Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,316
    Given: 639

AP publishes photos of Marine killed in action against the family's wishes

Gates vs. AP over war photo - First Read - msnbc.com

I hope this isn't seen as a political issue, but if it is, feel free to move it.

I see this as an issue of right vs wrong, respectfulness versus sensationalism or compassion vs misled idealism.

If you agree, you can voice your disapproval to AP here:

Contact Us | The Associated Press

Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: AP publishes photos of Marine killed in action against the family's wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Gates vs. AP over war photo - First Read - msnbc.com

I hope this isn't seen as a political issue, but if it is, feel free to move it.

I see this as an issue of right vs wrong, respectfulness versus sensationalism or compassion vs misled idealism.

If you agree, you can voice your disapproval to AP here:

Contact Us | The Associated Press
    Um, this was already posted in the cave, which normally I would assume you just didn't see it, except for the fact that you posted in that thread.

But since I'm already here, I really don't care that they published the photos.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up

How bad is the picture?

Chiefs!

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

I don't see what the big deal is. This is just one of the many reasons we have embedded press with our people there.

I think it's important that people see war as it is. We are all too desensitized to it. We see soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines killed almost every day, but it's rare that we've put a face to a name to an incident.

Pro war or anti war or anywhere in between, scenes like this play out nearly every day, and have played out nearly every day since we began this war. The photo is what it is. A poignant reminder of the reality of conflict. It has no agenda, and I see no reason it should not be released.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Starter
    Thumbs Up

I mean unless they put a banner on top of it that says "This is what happens when you go to war" I don't see the big deal.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is. This is just one of the many reasons we have embedded press with our people there.

I think it's important that people see war as it is. We are all too desensitized to it. We see soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines killed almost every day, but it's rare that we've put a face to a name to an incident.

Pro war or anti war or anywhere in between, scenes like this play out nearly every day, and have played out nearly every day since we began this war. The photo is what it is. A poignant reminder of the reality of conflict. It has no agenda, and I see no reason it should not be released.
    The big deal is that the family asked that the photo not be published. How is that not a big deal? You ever had a son blew in two in a war, and then have his picture published when you asked that it not be?

Thumbs Up

The wishes of the family of this Marine should have been honored. Period. End of discussion. This has nothing to do with whether or not you support the war, it has to do with showing respect for someone who gave their life for our country and since they can no longer speak for themselves, their family should be able to speak for them.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by CyPride View Post
    The big deal is that the family asked that the photo not be published. How is that not a big deal? You ever had a son blew in two in a war, and then have his picture published when you asked that it not be?
    It's freedom of speech, and freedom of the press. Is it distasteful? Maybe. So is war. This is the reality, though.

And no, I haven't had a son "blew in two in a war", thankfully. I hope it's a situation I never have to deal with.

If the American people never understand the true gravity and reality of armed conflict, they will never be able to make a collective, informed decision as to what situations arise to the level of requiring armed conflict.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 28

While I wouldn't like it if it was my kid, they have every right to publish the photo and so I have no problem with it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 229
    Given: 59

I think everyone's mind would be changed if it was their mother, brother, father, sister, etc. It's easy to not to ever have to be in that position and take a side, but in all reality, you'd ALL be against it. Think about it. There are these picture of your parent's mangled bodies taken after they got into a fatal car accident and the local newspaper wants to publish them. You ask them to not, but they do anyway. Is that how you'd want YOUR parents remembered? Don't give me that freedom of speech crap either. It's wrong on every level.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    I think everyone's mind would be changed if it was their mother, brother, father, sister, etc. It's easy to not to ever have to be in that position and take a side, but in all reality, you'd ALL be against it. Think about it. There are these picture of your parent's mangled bodies taken after they got into a fatal car accident and the local newspaper wants to publish them. You ask them to not, but they do anyway. Is that how you'd want YOUR parents remembered? Don't give me that freedom of speech crap either. It's wrong on every level.
    These types of photos are published everyday and around the world so it is what it is. Sucks if you know the person(s) in the photo, but it is the world we live in.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    These types of photos are published everyday and around the world so it is what it is. Sucks if you know the person(s) in the photo, but it is the world we live in.
    Actually, they're not. Or very seldom are they published.

From now on, I want to see detailed and graphic photos of every dead person, to include during autopsy, published on the front page of every paper. I mean, we have to be "made aware" of all the different faces of death, don't we? Think of the annual carnage on our motorways....

AP ran this photo because they are soulless a-holes. That's it. The public has no "right" to be informed here.

Freedom of speech my ***; this is all about making a buck off pictures of a grisly death.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,316
    Given: 639

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    It's freedom of speech, and freedom of the press. Is it distasteful? Maybe. So is war. This is the reality, though.

And no, I haven't had a son "blew in two in a war", thankfully. I hope it's a situation I never have to deal with.

If the American people never understand the true gravity and reality of armed conflict, they will never be able to make a collective, informed decision as to what situations arise to the level of requiring armed conflict.
    So your argument is that the American people so oblivious that they must be shown a photo of a dead soldier in order to understand the cost of war? A flag-draped coffin won't suffice?

I'll say again- just because you have the freedom to do it does not mean that it should be done.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by richey24 View Post
    I mean unless they put a banner on top of it that says "This is what happens when you go to war" I don't see the big deal.
    Your insensitivity and callousness makes me hope you never occupy a position more responsible than flipping hamburgers. Frankly, you disgust me.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Your insensitivity and callousness makes me hope you never occupy a position more responsible than flipping hamburgers. Frankly, you disgust me.
    Irony, thy name is Phaedrus. I do agree with you that the AP had no business running the photo, especially if they were asked specifically not to.